Old 09 December 2005, 13:32   #21
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Also Alice it would be bloody awkward performing "best practise" and keeping one hand on it!! Come on Dickie, you need bucket seats and your arse on the floor for a foot throttle!
Just like a Phantom Evo
Old 09 December 2005, 13:46   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Not quite... IIRC the Phantom Evo, like a few, has the seats raised. More of a car seat position, really.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 13:54   #23
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
[QUOTE=Mollulnan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee

As for Alice and her Gaffers! We've got a whole fleet of 'em in Falmouth which race in the summer. If you wanna get all 5'2" of ya' down here we'll fix you up with a ride. It's the best fun you'll have without an engine, if you can cope with the post race "P" ups.
I might take you up on that, thanks. I would probably drive the Scorpion there in the summer during my leave which is due in May. So, a foot throttle is a no no if you're standing, thanks for the info. I'm still intrigued by Codpran's remark about Gaffrigs. No-one has told me what this means. Is this a joke? If so, I don't get it.
Old 09 December 2005, 13:56   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Gaffrig are a US Marine hardware manufacturer, who do throttle levers (and foot pedal systems I think).

http://www.gaffrigperformance.com
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 19:26   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
[QUOTE=Alice]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan

I might take you up on that, thanks. I would probably drive the Scorpion there in the summer during my leave which is due in May. So, a foot throttle is a no no if you're standing, thanks for the info. I'm still intrigued by Codpran's remark about Gaffrigs. No-one has told me what this means. Is this a joke? If so, I don't get it.
They are Falmouth working boats www.stmawessailing.co.uk/FWboats.html She's "Victory", 2nd oldest in the fleet at 118 years and no.28 in Britains most classic boats list. She's raced by a bunch that are in it for the "crack" as much as the winning.
Old 09 December 2005, 20:26   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Just like a Phantom Evo
Beutiful ribs One day I will have one! it is an intereesting point that the three most desirable and elegant looking ribs(in my opinion), have been made by successful hardboat racers. Mark Pascoe, Neil Holmes and Tony Davis

Alice Some of your Kwestions might get better and more informed answers on boatmad cos those guys use foot throttles a lot more than we do (lucky sods)

Also Tony Davis over their is I bekieve a gafrig agent, he also purveys a lot of other very fine marine products

I think Bobs machine shop also make good foot throttles

going back to the original point of the thread yes do pull back on the throttle, you can invalidate your warranty with two many overrev cutouts
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2005, 09:10   #27

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
It's a hell of a lot easier with a foot throttle though - unless you have some nice Gaffrigs or similar!!!
I don't have the photos on my home computer, but we have "incontrol" foot throttles fitted to both the race and leisure versions of our BananaShark hull, the leisure boat also has it linked to a "Gaffrig" hand throttle - it also has a seperate gear lever so that you can use either the foot or hand throttle, no switching over required either! The hand throttles they offer are all seperate throttle and gear lever types and are based on race designs where there is a seperate driver and throttle man.

Gaffrig are a manufacturer or performance boat accessories from the US, they are also famous for thier guages - many offshore performance boats have dashboards full of them, they also make bezels for the Optimax instruments so that you can co-ordinate your boat. Just to compicate things the company split up last year and now there is another almost identical company called Livorsi who offer most of the same stuff - some say they offer the better quality.

Alice if you need any more information feel free to PM me.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2005, 16:15   #28

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
my hardboat approx 2000kg all geared up will loose all grip and momentum if i leave throttle open after bein out of water, more so i then have to trim down and throttle back before getting grip again, by that time your close to being off the plane!! if anyone is familiar (from theyre boy racer days) of bridge jumping in your cars, if you leave throttle open the car continues nose high and lands on its arse, de accelerate and the nose edges down.. now back to boats i find imho if i throttle back quickly at the point of impact with a wave then after she had thrown her head in the air i gas back on it stops the boat leaping so high yet little momentum is lost, id never constantly rely on the rev limiter and id be worried about the possibilty of the drive overheating if running full chat out of the green coolant stuff, but im by no means an expert.
Old 10 December 2005, 16:50   #29

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
we have "incontrol" foot throttles fitted to both the race and leisure versions of our BananaShark hull,

Just to compicate things the company split up last year and now there is another almost identical company called Livorsi who offer most of the same stuff - some say they offer the better quality.
To make it even more complicated, Livorsi is the original manufacturer of Gaffrig, but had to stop using the name when Mrs Gaffrig sold it to a 3rd party who started selling parts of the same name! I personally don't think either are much cop, although some of the branded "livorsi" parts are excellent, especially those manufactured by Stainless Marine or AutoMeter!

Here's a pic of an Incontrol Throttle, now these are the doggies danglers!

The other photos (by kind permission of boatmad) are photos of Livorsi (gaffrig) products that have had 1 season in our weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100FTR.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	16334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0003-1.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	16335   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0004.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	16336   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0006.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	16337  
Old 11 December 2005, 23:25   #30

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore
Q: Is it necessary to throttle back if the prop comes out of the water for a brief moment? e.g. jumping off a wave
Get the power on as you re-enter. If the prop wont grip under power at re-entry, get a decent prop.