Old 02 November 2010, 07:07   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Cash Buyer

I have sudden interest from an individual wanting to buy my current rib offering cash.

They have only seen pictures of it, but apparantly have had the same boat before.

What is protocol for ensuring this transaction will work safely?

I don't want to see the boat disappear without ensuring I have been properly paid (e.g. being passed funny money).

If I were the buyer I'd not want to hand over several £K without getting something tangible.

We both have travel some distance to where the boat is kept.

Is there anything I can do to ensure the genuiness of the offer, or am I being too suspicious?

Would a solution be to retain the keys & post them off to the indivdual's home address once the cash was credited to my account in the bank?

Roll on the new larger boat in March!

LT
Old 02 November 2010, 07:14   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
I think you are right to be cautious.

Perhaps do the sale in the usual staged way?

1) Buyer makes an offer and includes and conditions.

2) You accept the (sometimes modified) offer and set a handover date.

3) Buyer sends a deposit. They may want some paperwork to protect their rights to the boat at this point.

4) Buyer pays the money into your account, perhaps one set up just for the purpose if you are really cautious.

5) Once you are satisfied the bank has credited you, hand over the keys and bill of sale.

Steps 4 and 5 should happen straight away, but if you make it clear that the buyer takes responsibility for the funds clearing into the account you should be on a solid footing.

Sadly we live in a decreasingly cash-friendly society, banks don't like cash which is crazy since that is what they were invented for.
Old 02 November 2010, 08:00   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I have sudden interest from an individual wanting to buy my current rib offering cash.

They have only seen pictures of it, but apparantly have had the same boat before.

What is protocol for ensuring this transaction will work safely?

I don't want to see the boat disappear without ensuring I have been properly paid (e.g. being passed funny money).

If I were the buyer I'd not want to hand over several £K without getting something tangible.

We both have travel some distance to where the boat is kept.

Is there anything I can do to ensure the genuiness of the offer, or am I being too suspicious?

Would a solution be to retain the keys & post them off to the indivdual's home address once the cash was credited to my account in the bank?

Roll on the new larger boat in March!

LT
If I handed you cash I would expect to drive away with the boat and any keys, I'd certainly not let you keep the keys knowing my home address! In reality boat keys do little for security (so this wouldn't help you anyway, and you'd have no way of knowing if his address was real) - but it would raise my alarm bells as a buyer.

If there is some concern the cash could be counterfeit, or you could get robbed on the way to the bank then why not move the boat so it is outside a branch of the bank for the final transaction. Go inside pay money into your account, hand over keys he takes boat. If you told me as a buyer that this is what you wanted to do I would be comfortable with that.

Banks are funny about large cash transactions (>£10k) for money laundering reasons so would be best to talk to the bank about what they require (e.g. extra ID).

However if he knows you have a long drive he may be a chancer. Meet you there having indicated a price of X to you. Then says, actually i've only managed to get X-Y will you accept that instead.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:31   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Do the deal for cash. Bring a mate along. He sits in the motor and counts/checks the cash while you keep matey talking. Once you get the OK, hand over the keys and then and only then hook up the rib to matey's transport. Job done.

If matey wants to cut a new deal and it's because of some obvious fault, I'd deal a bit - but not if he's taking the p1ss.

As for the cash, it's a wee rib for sale, not 10 kees of Columbia's Finest. Chill, it's just money - it won't go off or spontaneously combust... but maybe don't bring small dogs and squeaky toys, eh?
Old 02 November 2010, 09:39   #5

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
As for the cash, it's a wee rib for sale, not 10 kees of Columbia's Finest. Chill, it's just money - it won't go off or spontaneously combust... but maybe don't bring small dogs and squeaky toys, eh?
As Polwart said, banks are really not liking the cash thing these days. Even as a business customer I have trouble getting them to take anything sizeable.

Given concerns about funny-money I still think it makes sense for the buyer to deposit the cash. Though it is more relevant here where we have to stay up to date on notes in Euros, Sterling, Guernsey and Jersey money.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:40   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I'd be wary of large sums of cash these days. It's most likely either stolen or forged, and how good are you at spotting forged notes? I wouldn't be sure I could. Bank transfer or nothing IMO, small cash deposit OK but suitcasefuls - buyer beware.

No doubt there are a few "honest geezers" around who only use cash but I bet the balance of probability favours something dodgy!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2010, 09:44   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
He's probably offering cash on the assumption that 'money talks'
Old 02 November 2010, 09:53   #8
RIBnet Supporter

I'd be wary of dodgy money too - which is why I'd check it - specially if the notes were all new (wouldn't like that at all) but it's not the best way to unload dodgy money - where you know the seller will check it and you have to stand there...

The other side of this deal is why would the buyer trust you with his money? (to your bank account) - good grief, you might be a criminal!

My workplace lodges tens of thousands of euro/pounds in cash every week - the bank always seems happy enough to get it.

I say again, cash, it's just money - honey
Old 02 November 2010, 09:54   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
He's probably offering cash on the assumption that 'money talks'
I hear your's says "hold me forever"
Old 02 November 2010, 10:36   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I hear your's says "hold me forever"
"Let me out, I'm not serving a life sentence"
Old 02 November 2010, 10:36   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
pay cash into bank

Last car I bought was a cash purchase for more than £10K.

It worked for both of us but I had met the seller a couple of times before we did the deal. I suggested that I bring the cash, during working hours, and we pay it into his bank. This has to be the safest way all round.

As it happens he wasn't able to take the time off work and trusted my face!

The RIB I paid for with a Bankers Draft - again after having met the seller a couple of times. The bank managed to date it incorrectly which caused a bit of consternation on a Saturday morning!

In almost all of my purchases i've met the vendor at least once before arranging payment and collection. He's been able to decide if he trusts me and also vice-versa.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:43   #12

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
When I bought my present Ribcraft the prelims were done by emails and phone and the final deal was done at his home in Yokshire, to protect us both I organised a bankers draft for 90% of the deal and took cash so I had room to negotiate. it work to everybodys satisfaction and saved me carrying a large amount of money!!
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2010, 11:04   #13

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
To be fair how much is a "large amount of cash" ....
Old 02 November 2010, 12:04   #14

Town: Romney Marsh ,Kent
Make: Osprey 5.85
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu
My two pence worth, Cash is good, get him to go to your bank and deposit it with you - If possible take someone Large with you...

Still be wary of dodgy notes - I have had the bank write to me 10 days after deposit telling me they were fake (that cost £80 and BANK charges too!!)

Also be very wary of Bank drafts - some forged ones doing the rounds, these also can take a while to come back from the bank..

Same with direct bank transfers, sometimes they look like they have cleared and then bounce a day or 2 later.

I may sound bitter, but all of above has happened to me at some point!!

Mike
Old 02 November 2010, 12:05   #15

Town: Romney Marsh ,Kent
Make: Osprey 5.85
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfinch36 View Post
To be fair how much is a "large amount of cash" ....
As far as money laundering regulations, it is £2k..
Old 02 November 2010, 12:54   #16

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Thanks for the views / advice.
I can't get time off work in the week whilst the bank's open, so that's not an option.

I suppose I'm quite surprised that someone is offering cash and is prepared to buyit without a viewing first.

The buyer didn't know I had a bit of a trip when the offer was made & originally suggested meeting on a weekday.

Maybe I've become unduly cynical & suspicious, just seems a bit too easy.
Old 02 November 2010, 12:55   #17

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingomike View Post
As far as money laundering regulations, it is £2k..
£2K? that seems very low!?

h
Old 02 November 2010, 13:01   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Thanks for the views / advice.
I can't get time off work in the week whilst the bank's open, so that's not an option.
many banks have a city centre branch open on a sat am.
Quote:
I suppose I'm quite surprised that someone is offering cash and is prepared to buyit without a viewing first.
he's not - if when he turns up to collect its a searider covered in duck tape he'll walk away. he is probably just trying to show he is serious and worth the time to show him.

I'd suggest most dodgy cash deals are not about forged notes or stolen money - but more likely to be laundering drug money. That is a conscience not a banking issue then!
Old 02 November 2010, 15:40   #19

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Cash

Quote:
£2K? that seems very low!?
Money laundering regulations regarding accepting cash payment relate to businesses but I am not aware they apply to private individuals but I may be wrong.

From what I remember if a business wishes to accept cash payment for high value items they must register with HMC&E. They define a high value sale as in excess of €15,000 or the equivalent in any other currency.

If you have no good reason to suspect he is money laundering then as a private individual I am not sure it is technically your problem.

If it were me my greatest concern would be that some of the notes may turn out to be forged. From my experience some bank branches are very laid back about accepting largish cash deposits whilst others take forever checking every note whilst queues back down the street and customers stress levels turn platinum.

Take another method of payment then as others point out you may end up with an iffy bankers draft.
Old 02 November 2010, 16:56   #20

Length: 7m +
I think your right to be careful, especially if the person is coming from abroad, .... if he is bringing cash then you should take him to the bank to pay it in to your account before handing over the boat, the bank can check wether the currency is genuine etc.

Other angles to consider, if they are coming from abroad, which countries ? One scam is a buyer will gain a entry visa into uk on pretence of buying something with cash usually just under the amount you are allowed to import etc, and then once visa obtained will enter the country and dissapear.

Other angle could be money laundering.

Be wary