Old 25 May 2005, 10:51   #1
Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
Capsizing small rib's

Novice RIB owner here and one thing concerns me. I have read the Rough water handling article and am wondering if anyone has capsized their rib on a breaking wave and if so, how big was it? I have encountered 1 meter waves with some breaking and that was fine but I'm just curious how I can avoid a bigger breaking wave if it's long and I can't get around it, should I simply change my heading and run with the seas diagonaly or just shoot for the least vertical slope and punch over it? I do keep the CG far forward, I just want to avoid getting sideways. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I would have to travel 1600nm on a jet to get training. I don't go looking for trouble but in some circumstances the waves just grow large very quickly and I'm not very close to shore (5-6nm). Thanks,

Arctic RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2005, 11:56   #2
Town: swansea
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
not quite sure...

...i would also be interested to see the response on this, also how are capsized ribs brought back the right way round? jonathan

xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2005, 13:37   #3
Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
Send a message via MSN to Action Man

the simple answer is they are not. The only real way to get a capsised RIB back is by a bag and even then if you have successfully capsised it in the first place you are going to struggle to keep with the boat and the seas are not goig to be kind to you. Carry a handheld and EPIRB and get the cavalry out.

Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2005, 13:39   #4
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
You will find some previous discussions on this if you do a search using keywords 'righting capsize'. Happy reading! And I hope it never happens to you!
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2005, 19:53   #5
Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
I won't comment on righting the capsize but as far as going over surf goes... if you have the c of g as far forward as it will go then you should be able to tackle a 2m breaking wave head on if you can keep the power on imho...

I believe there is more risk going diagonally because of rollover particularly if the wave is peeling towards you as it breaks.

I take my rib - 5.05m - out around the surf beaches around here in some quite large swells but when its calm I venture into the shallower waters at time. I have encountered breaking waves at what I believe were about 2m (although I always think they look bigger than they really are when you're approaching them) and powered onto them.

I guess the difference between you and I is that the sea here is warm, there are plenty of boats about and if we did go in it would probably not be a life or death situation...

If i was 2-3 nm offshore in close to Arctic conditions, and needed to use the rib in all weathers I might be a little more tempted to get that training next time I'm out.

As for cresting on the back of a 2m breaking wave, I would not really like to do this unless the frequency of the waves was very low...
EdwardH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 03:07   #6
Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
righting capsized rib

Having been a sailing instructor i think it would be possible to right a capsized rib. i think zapcats use the same method but a zapcatter wil tell you the real way

when i was a sailing instructor we sumtimes used dart 18 catamarans as a training boat. the method was to get a rope from the mast or the bow, take it over the hull then you got the 2 sailors to stand at the transom and lean back!!! i dont know if a rib would come out the water like this but when youre off shore i would be damn well trying it

Hope that was sum use.
craig_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 06:46   #7
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have often righted a small sib when I was a kid - we did basically the same - it helped to use the wind/waves to your advantage - I know a rib would be harder but then we were only kids.

I would have thought 2 hefty blokes climbing up on one side and grabbing a rope from the other side would be able to do it if they had to.

Just remember - in the cold waters you are on about a drysuit is essential - also some flares and an epirb on YOU not the boat if the worst comes to the worst!!!
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 07:20   #8
Town: Berkshire and Devon
Make: Lodestar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 5hp
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 08:23   #9
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by Action Man
Carry a handheld and EPIRB and get the cavalry out.
I suspect that IQALUIT the cavalry are a in short supply and self sufficiency is the key.....................
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 08:45   #10
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Originally Posted by Alan
I suspect that IQALUIT the cavalry are a in short supply and self sufficiency is the key.....................
Maybe the Mounties instead Or how about lassie, maybe it’s a bit far north for him (her?) Des

Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote