Engine: 40hp 2 str
When does the ice leave Frobisher Bay?

Old 26 May 2005, 15:11   #12

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
Thanks so much for the great advice, this is the best site on the web, very informative and very hilarious. Self sufficiency is dead on. A 10M rescue RIB actually does exist up here but I haven't seen it in years and I doubt the reaction time would be good enough, people parish every few years out there and I've never seen it in the water. I always bring an emergency locator beacon from city hall, a VHF and I try to be extremely cautious, slow and steady. Leaving shore without your mustang suits zippered up is suicide and even then without dry suits you don't have long maybe 15-20 minutes tops. The ice is gone nice and early thanks to Icebreakers in early July, with out them it would be mid-August before the ice is gone. Ice thickness is currently 2.4 meters.

Old 26 May 2005, 17:41   #13

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I wouldn't recomend it, But I managed to right my old 4M Flatacraft twice after a bit of over enthusiastic driving.
Basic technique was to thread the painter through a handle on one side, throw it over the hull, swim round and climb up on the hull using the rope whilst leaning back as far as poss. Then watch out as it lands on top of you.
It was hard work when in a wet suit, but if I can do a 4M Flatacraft with the 40HP Suzuki it had on at that point, you should be able to do a 3M with a 25HP.
The above assumes of course that you've not been injured during the flip.
And remember the outboard almost certainly won't start afterwards.

Nasher
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 17:47   #14

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
I wouldn't recomend it, But I managed to right my old 4M Flatacraft twice after a bit of over enthusiastic driving.
Basic technique was to thread the painter through a handle on one side, throw it over the hull, swim round and climb up on the hull using the rope whilst leaning back as far as poss. Then watch out as it lands on top of you.
It was hard work when in a wet suit, but if I can do a 4M Flatacraft with the 40HP Suzuki it had on at that point, you should be able to do a 3M with a 25HP.
The above assumes of course that you've not been injured during the flip.
And remember the outboard almost certainly won't start afterwards.
Nasher
You would have fun trying that with the new set up have you got it going?
Old 26 May 2005, 18:03   #15

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Neal

Hi, I have everything I need to complete the engine swap except the bolts which I'll pick up tomorrow, and the engine crane which I'm borrowing off Mark on Saturday morning.
All the new wiring is in place along with the control cables, lever unit and Suzuki instruments.
I've machined up the Transom plate(15mm Ali) and 4X2 Ali box to fill in the bottom half of the current Transom cut out, and just need to drill them.
Oh, need to pick up a 12.5mm or 1/2inch drill as well with the M12 HT bolts tomorrow.

I'm going to struggle however this weekend and next, due to other family commitments.

I've also put the old Johnson on ebay coz it needs to go, and quick.

Nasher.
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2005, 10:05   #16

Town: Pwllheli
Length: no boat
It has already been mentioned,

To Recover a Capsized Rib the idea is to have a line from one side of the rib over and climb onto the hull on the opposite side,

Then lean over as far as possible pulling the rib over, being cautious to move out of the way as the rib comes over on top of you.

I have completed this exercise, but there where 3 of us and it was on a 5mtr rib with a 40 tiller steer engine on the back.

I saw it as an easy enough exercise, but I would't like to try it on myself, or with a bigger rib.
Old 27 May 2005, 11:23   #17

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic RIB
.... I always bring an emergency locator beacon from city hall.........
What is the deal on this If it is what I think, it sound like a really good idea Des
Old 27 May 2005, 13:45   #18

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
It's the old 125 freq. device offered for free any time of day from our local FD, you just press one button and I believe it relay's a radio distress signal to a satellite then to Trenton in Ontario 1300nm south of here, they then relay back to the local search and rescue with GPS co-ordinates, after all that they send a C-130 Hercules and some Cormorants to search for you with a 5 or 6 hour reaction time. The local search and rescue consists of local hunters who have lived in the area for 1000's of years but I would never want to be forced to use it. I'm buying a Globalstar phone just incase I need it. Ideally I should have the Mustang Ocean Commander suits. Currently saving for the suits and a 7 meter RIB with twin engines