Old 25 May 2005, 15:51   #1

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
Capsizing small rib's

Novice RIB owner here and one thing concerns me. I have read the Rough water handling article and am wondering if anyone has capsized their rib on a breaking wave and if so, how big was it? I have encountered 1 meter waves with some breaking and that was fine but I'm just curious how I can avoid a bigger breaking wave if it's long and I can't get around it, should I simply change my heading and run with the seas diagonaly or just shoot for the least vertical slope and punch over it? I do keep the CG far forward, I just want to avoid getting sideways. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I would have to travel 1600nm on a jet to get training. I don't go looking for trouble but in some circumstances the waves just grow large very quickly and I'm not very close to shore (5-6nm). Thanks,
Brent
Old 25 May 2005, 16:56   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
not quite sure...

...i would also be interested to see the response on this, also how are capsized ribs brought back the right way round? jonathan
Old 25 May 2005, 18:37   #3

Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
Send a message via MSN to Action Man
Hi,

the simple answer is they are not. The only real way to get a capsised RIB back is by a bag and even then if you have successfully capsised it in the first place you are going to struggle to keep with the boat and the seas are not goig to be kind to you. Carry a handheld and EPIRB and get the cavalry out.

cheers

Giles
Old 25 May 2005, 18:39   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
You will find some previous discussions on this if you do a search using keywords 'righting capsize'. Happy reading! And I hope it never happens to you!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 00:53   #5

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
I won't comment on righting the capsize but as far as going over surf goes... if you have the c of g as far forward as it will go then you should be able to tackle a 2m breaking wave head on if you can keep the power on imho...

I believe there is more risk going diagonally because of rollover particularly if the wave is peeling towards you as it breaks.

I take my rib - 5.05m - out around the surf beaches around here in some quite large swells but when its calm I venture into the shallower waters at time. I have encountered breaking waves at what I believe were about 2m (although I always think they look bigger than they really are when you're approaching them) and powered onto them.

I guess the difference between you and I is that the sea here is warm, there are plenty of boats about and if we did go in it would probably not be a life or death situation...

If i was 2-3 nm offshore in close to Arctic conditions, and needed to use the rib in all weathers I might be a little more tempted to get that training next time I'm out.

As for cresting on the back of a 2m breaking wave, I would not really like to do this unless the frequency of the waves was very low...
Old 26 May 2005, 08:07   #6

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
righting capsized rib

Having been a sailing instructor i think it would be possible to right a capsized rib. i think zapcats use the same method but a zapcatter wil tell you the real way

when i was a sailing instructor we sumtimes used dart 18 catamarans as a training boat. the method was to get a rope from the mast or the bow, take it over the hull then you got the 2 sailors to stand at the transom and lean back!!! i dont know if a rib would come out the water like this but when youre off shore i would be damn well trying it

Hope that was sum use.
Old 26 May 2005, 11:46   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have often righted a small sib when I was a kid - we did basically the same - it helped to use the wind/waves to your advantage - I know a rib would be harder but then we were only kids.

I would have thought 2 hefty blokes climbing up on one side and grabbing a rope from the other side would be able to do it if they had to.

Just remember - in the cold waters you are on about a drysuit is essential - also some flares and an epirb on YOU not the boat if the worst comes to the worst!!!
Old 26 May 2005, 12:20   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
http://www.hotribs.com/02articles/01.../over&out1.asp
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 13:23   #9

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Man
Carry a handheld and EPIRB and get the cavalry out.
I suspect that IQALUIT the cavalry are a in short supply and self sufficiency is the key.....................
Old 26 May 2005, 13:45   #10

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I suspect that IQALUIT the cavalry are a in short supply and self sufficiency is the key.....................
Maybe the Mounties instead Or how about lassie, maybe it’s a bit far north for him (her?) Des
Old 26 May 2005, 13:49   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
When does the ice leave Frobisher Bay?
Old 26 May 2005, 19:11   #12

Thanks so much for the great advice, this is the best site on the web, very informative and very hilarious. Self sufficiency is dead on. A 10M rescue RIB actually does exist up here but I haven't seen it in years and I doubt the reaction time would be good enough, people parish every few years out there and I've never seen it in the water. I always bring an emergency locator beacon from city hall, a VHF and I try to be extremely cautious, slow and steady. Leaving shore without your mustang suits zippered up is suicide and even then without dry suits you don't have long maybe 15-20 minutes tops. The ice is gone nice and early thanks to Icebreakers in early July, with out them it would be mid-August before the ice is gone. Ice thickness is currently 2.4 meters.
Old 26 May 2005, 21:41   #13

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I wouldn't recomend it, But I managed to right my old 4M Flatacraft twice after a bit of over enthusiastic driving.
Basic technique was to thread the painter through a handle on one side, throw it over the hull, swim round and climb up on the hull using the rope whilst leaning back as far as poss. Then watch out as it lands on top of you.
It was hard work when in a wet suit, but if I can do a 4M Flatacraft with the 40HP Suzuki it had on at that point, you should be able to do a 3M with a 25HP.
The above assumes of course that you've not been injured during the flip.
And remember the outboard almost certainly won't start afterwards.

Nasher
Old 26 May 2005, 21:47   #14

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
I wouldn't recomend it, But I managed to right my old 4M Flatacraft twice after a bit of over enthusiastic driving.
Basic technique was to thread the painter through a handle on one side, throw it over the hull, swim round and climb up on the hull using the rope whilst leaning back as far as poss. Then watch out as it lands on top of you.
It was hard work when in a wet suit, but if I can do a 4M Flatacraft with the 40HP Suzuki it had on at that point, you should be able to do a 3M with a 25HP.
The above assumes of course that you've not been injured during the flip.
And remember the outboard almost certainly won't start afterwards.
Nasher
You would have fun trying that with the new set up have you got it going?
Old 26 May 2005, 22:03   #15

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Neal

Hi, I have everything I need to complete the engine swap except the bolts which I'll pick up tomorrow, and the engine crane which I'm borrowing off Mark on Saturday morning.
All the new wiring is in place along with the control cables, lever unit and Suzuki instruments.
I've machined up the Transom plate(15mm Ali) and 4X2 Ali box to fill in the bottom half of the current Transom cut out, and just need to drill them.
Oh, need to pick up a 12.5mm or 1/2inch drill as well with the M12 HT bolts tomorrow.

I'm going to struggle however this weekend and next, due to other family commitments.

I've also put the old Johnson on ebay coz it needs to go, and quick.

Nasher.
Old 27 May 2005, 14:05   #16

Town: Pwllheli
Length: no boat
It has already been mentioned,

To Recover a Capsized Rib the idea is to have a line from one side of the rib over and climb onto the hull on the opposite side,

Then lean over as far as possible pulling the rib over, being cautious to move out of the way as the rib comes over on top of you.

I have completed this exercise, but there where 3 of us and it was on a 5mtr rib with a 40 tiller steer engine on the back.

I saw it as an easy enough exercise, but I would't like to try it on myself, or with a bigger rib.
Old 27 May 2005, 15:23   #17

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic RIB
.... I always bring an emergency locator beacon from city hall.........
What is the deal on this If it is what I think, it sound like a really good idea Des
Old 27 May 2005, 17:45   #18

It's the old 125 freq. device offered for free any time of day from our local FD, you just press one button and I believe it relay's a radio distress signal to a satellite then to Trenton in Ontario 1300nm south of here, they then relay back to the local search and rescue with GPS co-ordinates, after all that they send a C-130 Hercules and some Cormorants to search for you with a 5 or 6 hour reaction time. The local search and rescue consists of local hunters who have lived in the area for 1000's of years but I would never want to be forced to use it. I'm buying a Globalstar phone just incase I need it. Ideally I should have the Mustang Ocean Commander suits. Currently saving for the suits and a 7 meter RIB with twin engines