Click Here to Login

Old 16 April 2007, 18:16   #21

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Interesting to hear Klear is now suitable for RIB tubes. Used to use this make boot toecaps shiny. Looked nice but didn't like water too much and hated flexing. In fact if you used a few coats of it and then managed to crack it, it flaked off like old skin.
Old 16 April 2007, 19:24   #22

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
Miracle Rib Cleaner

Try liquid clothes detergent that you find in those little sachets. Fantastic cheap stuff and doesn't bugger your hands. Clened my entire tubes with two sachets diluted with a little water and some good old fashioned elbow grease.

Mind you, seagulls have shat all over the boat now so...........
Old 16 April 2007, 19:25   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Interesting to hear Klear is now suitable for RIB tubes. Used to use this make boot toecaps shiny. Looked nice but didn't like water too much and hated flexing. In fact if you used a few coats of it and then managed to crack it, it flaked off like old skin.
Well JK etc swear by High solids emuslison floor polish - is Kleer the same sort of stuff???
Old 16 April 2007, 20:53   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I cleaned mine with Tesco Value washing powder mixed into a paste with washing up liquid and a bit of water. Worked a treat.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2007, 18:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Well JK etc swear by High solids emuslison floor polish - is Kleer the same sort of stuff???
Yep. It was sold as a Floor polish. Was a quick fix for shining army boots when you didn't have time to polish them properly. Had major downsides though as it formed a thin laquer which was brittle and would crack if flexed.
Old 17 April 2007, 19:22   #26
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I'm not familiar with Kleer, but the stuff that I have used on tubes definitely doesn't crack. Haven't tried it on boots though!

John
Old 17 April 2007, 19:32   #27

John,

As I said it was a long time ago when I used the stuff. Can't even remember how it was spelt. Did smell nice though ! And it gave an excellent shine. If they've improved the formula and it doesn't crack anymore might be even worth trying on the hull of a boat. In fact we could have invented a way of getting a few extra knots out of a boat.
Old 17 April 2007, 21:10   #28

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Haven't read all this thread through so someones probably already said this, buts here's my process:

This brings my tubes up as new everytime (the boat is kept mainly under cover though)

Wash with a detergent cleaner such as Star Brite:
http://www.marine-super-store.com/po...edpartno=02548

Dry off with leather, then apply (out of direct sun if your rib is anything but grey or white) Autoglym Super Resin polish - This removes just about anything (apart than deep rust stains ive found, but it will lighten these too), buff off and apply again if need be - then:

Seal with either 3M tuber conditioner or Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care - both of which will make the tubes slippery, so I then wash the boat off with cold water and leather off once more.

Although Super resin is slightly more £ than other similar stuff you can buy in halfords, the finish it leaves, even on rib tubes or fiberglass is superior.
Sunseeker (used to and as far as i'm aware, still do) buff with Autogylm metal polish on all their hulls and GRP surfaces out of the mould, they say nothing gets a finish like it (and they always have the best finish at the shows!).
Old 17 April 2007, 21:24   #29

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Not sure yet:-)
Make: Revenger.
Engine: Inboard/Petrol/625hp
Whatever you choose to use make sure it does not contain silicone,the glue used in any tube repairs will not stick to any surface coated in silicone.
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 08:34   #30

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
The only reason I used Klear (checked spelling on bottle) is that I had some. We used to have a quarry tile floor in our kitchen, and it was left over from cleaning them.

Time will tell if it cracks or not. Pete 7 told me at Church about shining boots and that it did crack where the boots flexed. Hopefully my tubes will not flex as much as the toe of a boot.
It states on the bottle that it should only be applied 5 times before removing and starting again.
It gave a fairly high shine without becoming more slippery than Hypalon alone.

The other point of interest was that a domestic cleaner did not remove the white bloom (not salt stains) from the tubes, whereas Ribshine did. My tubes are now over 10 years old and my cover is too short, so the cones are always in daylight. Therefore they do tend to suffer from UV degredation.
Old 31 May 2007, 23:59   #31

Mike,

like you I have yellow tubes. And they are the devil to keep clean. I've been doing some experimenting and have worked out the following.

a) Whatever you do yellow tubes will get some sort of marks/dirt on them after each trip.

b) Most if not all marks/dirt can be cleaned off with TFR2 and washed down with water. I also wash down after applying TFR2 with soapy water and then jet wash off.

c) To polish to a high shine and provide UV protection apply Turtle wax Nano Tech Tyre Gel. This stuff is as good as if not better than the 3M tube Polish and conditioner and costs 1/4 the price.

When applying the polish use a clean sponge and wipe any excess off with a cloth and also buff to a high shine.

Do it right and you'll be impressed. For me the cleaning process and boat sorting out bit takes about two hours after each trip. But it means my boat still looks like new.
Old 01 June 2007, 01:23   #32

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I agree TFR is great stuff - I also tried the Machine Mart ready diluted and used a very soft brush.

Having said that the other product I tried is even better - in fact it's awesome and so easy to use and kind to the hands. Sadly it's no longer made but I am trying to get the stuff remanufactured. If so I may well have a go at marketing it. Also works brilliantly on rust stains and cleans vinyl a treat(without making it pink)!!!
Old 01 June 2007, 01:31   #33

Its the diluted Machinemart stuff I use. Does the job and its so cheap you can throw it everywhere.
Old 01 June 2007, 02:50   #34

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
this works for a little while...

I usually just piss on the tubes, makes em shiny....
Old 01 June 2007, 07:36   #35

I maybe telling what you already know but: Joe @ Underpressure Ltd in Eastlands boat yard (just along from Ribshop) sells TFR @ £27.00 & VAT for 25 ltr

Could be worth a couple of peeps getting together to buy?