Old 17 November 2013, 21:08   #21

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Its also a massive gamble to take with such an investment. Imagine being told by your insurance company that your multi-million pound yacht insurance policy is invalid! I think most sane folk would rather take a hit on a re-sale loss, I know I would

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 17 November 2013, 21:33   #22

Length: 3m +
And the rib.net jury is off...

My gut feeling is it wasn't a torch job. Fire was relatively small when the brigade arrived. On YBW forum everyone is shocked that the brigade didn't manage to control it. Fire started during the afternoon when it was likely to be detected early and anyone going onboard to start it would have been likely to be noticed. Fire was in the flybridge - if you want a fire on a boat to spread you set it low and near things that go bang like gas and fuel.

Looking at the wreckage I'd have my doubts that there will be much left to determine the actual cause...
Old 17 November 2013, 21:48   #23

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Hmmm ....my guess is electrical/wiring problem

Simon

Sent from my Experia Ultra europallet using Rib.net
Old 17 November 2013, 23:45   #24

Town: Plymouth
Make: Humber
Engine: 2007 Merc 75hp 2S
Well having seen how these boats are built and some of the monkeys who work in boatyards it doesn't surprise me that there are electrical fires.

One guy on a boat I was building was shortening looms but didn't realise he was cutting all the diodes out. When the boat was first tested we had to rip it apart because all the 24v kit was frying itself.
Old 18 November 2013, 06:57   #25

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Gamble by the jet ski guy, as he took it under tow for salvage he is now responsible for it, I think that's how it works
Old 18 November 2013, 07:04   #26

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
You guys are all second guessing the cause, with the amount of firework rubbish I've found in my garden I wouldn't mind betting it was a firework
Old 18 November 2013, 09:04   #27

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
You guys are all second guessing the cause, with the amount of firework rubbish I've found in my garden I wouldn't mind betting it was a firework
Couple of years back we had a family in the village a couple of streets away have a 21 st birthday celebration with a spectacular 5 mins aerial firework display along with a strong wind blowing, however all the fall out was dropping in our back garden , good job my boat had 2 heavy duty covers on top , the top cover was peppered in small burn holes .
Old 18 November 2013, 11:22   #28

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Like one of these? Hehe...

Off to rnli tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131118_122157.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	87622  
Old 18 November 2013, 13:31   #29

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Like one of these? Hehe...

Off to rnli tomorrow!
A few quids worth there
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2013, 14:03   #30

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
A few quids worth there
Not my quids . I'm very close to Poole to get rid of them properly.

Watching Sunseeker have a fire a few years ago was fun as the flames got to the flares on the flybridge - and off they went !
Old 18 November 2013, 16:33   #31

Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Gamble by the jet ski guy, as he took it under tow for salvage he is now responsible for it, I think that's how it works
Interesting matter salvage - including the much misunderstood debate about handing over a tow rope / being handed a tow rope. Under Maritime English law if anyone takes a boat in tow in a matter of salvage you do not automatically become the owner of that vessel. If you have made an effort to save / tow a vessel and you feel you have not been adequately compensated for what you did, (when the vessel is adequately insured) the incident will be referred to an arbitration board who decide the level of compensation. In any one incident historically claims never exceed 5-8% of the vessels value - and that can mean salvaged value (not original). The arbitrators will also increase the salvage sum if there other circumstances such as a fishing boat losing fishing time. If you rescued a burning tanker going up a beach the reward sum would be significantly increased because of danger / avoiding a polluted coastline etc. The law in these cases is eminently sensible and in a way dissuades people letting vessels go from moorings and then "salvaging" them. If the jet-ski guy towed the burning boat away from the dock and saved the marina catching fire he would be entitled to a claim related to that - plus what he did had a definite risk element. But he would not have any automatic title to the vessel. The law is very complicated and anyone who thinks his rib might break down and need a tow should definitely discuss with his insurance company how to respond if such an event occurred - individual policies can be different. I often hear people claiming they have a wonderfully cheap insurance deal. If they read the small print they may see discover they are not particularly well covered in this type of event. They may even have personal liability to cover certain sums - good policies will cover most potential salvage issues but it is really worth checking.
Old 18 November 2013, 18:17   #32

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
+1

A huge fire involving 100,000 tonnes of plastic recycling material, thought to have been sparked by a Chinese lantern, has been contained say firefighters.

BBC News - Smethwick fire: Chinese lantern 'caused largest blaze'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
And the rib.net jury is off...
Fire started during the afternoon when it was likely to be detected early and anyone going onboard to start it would have been likely to be noticed. Fire was in the flybridge
Old 18 November 2013, 18:49   #33

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post

+1

A huge fire involving 100,000 tonnes of plastic recycling material, thought to have been sparked by a Chinese lantern, has been contained say firefighters.

BBC News - Smethwick fire: Chinese lantern 'caused largest blaze'

I don't do second guessing....

Hmm...what could start a fire high up on the flybridge on an un-attended boat......I wonder?

Simon

Old 18 November 2013, 19:42   #34

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Can the poor jetski's do anything right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Lol, I remember about 14 years ago while I was based in Guernsey a fire breaking out aboard a large luxury motorcruiser only about 600 yards off the northern coast of the island.

The owner had abandoned ship and made for land in the inflatable tender and was safely ashore when someone on a jetski whizzed up its bow and connected a tow line. in an effort to try and salvage the boat, the jetski then proceeded to tow the cruiser into a nearby beach where the fire department were waiting to extinguish the flames....

The boat was a total loss but you can just imagine the owners frustration when the
Fire department managed to board the remains and find numerous portable fuel containers and gas bottles littered around the vessel!

How much would you hate that jet skier?

Lol

Simon

LOL, jetski's are frowned upon despised etc and even when they try to do the right thing they still p*&s people off!
Old 18 November 2013, 20:13   #35

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
Interesting matter salvage - including the much misunderstood debate about handing over a tow rope / being handed a tow rope. Under Maritime English law if anyone takes a boat in tow in a matter of salvage you do not automatically become the owner of that vessel. If you have made an effort to save / tow a vessel and you feel you have not been adequately compensated for what you did, (when the vessel is adequately insured) the incident will be referred to an arbitration board who decide the level of compensation. In any one incident historically claims never exceed 5-8% of the vessels value - and that can mean salvaged value (not original). The arbitrators will also increase the salvage sum if there other circumstances such as a fishing boat losing fishing time. If you rescued a burning tanker going up a beach the reward sum would be significantly increased because of danger / avoiding a polluted coastline etc. The law in these cases is eminently sensible and in a way dissuades people letting vessels go from moorings and then "salvaging" them. If the jet-ski guy towed the burning boat away from the dock and saved the marina catching fire he would be entitled to a claim related to that - plus what he did had a definite risk element. But he would not have any automatic title to the vessel. The law is very complicated and anyone who thinks his rib might break down and need a tow should definitely discuss with his insurance company how to respond if such an event occurred - individual policies can be different. I often hear people claiming they have a wonderfully cheap insurance deal. If they read the small print they may see discover they are not particularly well covered in this type of event. They may even have personal liability to cover certain sums - good policies will cover most potential salvage issues but it is really worth checking.

Pure salvage award value can be a much higher % of boat, and all contents at time, depending on 'danger' involved

If ever in that situation crucial to agree a nominal price for TOWAGE before any tow starts, ideally writing and signing on some paper if possible. Verbal agreement witnessed is not as strong.

Otherwise you may receive a salvage demand for some considerably higher payment afterwards
Old 18 November 2013, 20:46   #36

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: TORA
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Send a message via Skype™ to TUFTY
What could cause a fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
I don't do second guessing....

Hmm...what could start a fire high up on the flybridge on an un-attended boat......I wonder?

Simon

An 80 ft Hatteras that I crewed back from the Med in 2012 had a near miss. It had a plastic flexible clear cover over the access from the rear deck onto the flybridge. My mate who was looking after the boat for the owner visited it and found a deep curved scorch mark abount an inch wide and 5 feet long in the teak deck. It transpired that rain water had collected in the plastic cover creating a lens. Sunlight then shone through the lens with sufficient intensity to burn the teak . A lucky escape but it still cost £000s to replace the damaged teak decking.