Old 07 October 2013, 21:22   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Can you identify this thief's car?

I know this should really be in the stolen section but I am hoping that one of the moderators will "sticky" it in the main forum for a few weeks to give as many people as possible the chance to identify the thief in the images below.

On Monday last week (30th September) one of our customers hung a 2 month old set of yellow medium Musto HPX oilskins on the line behind our centre to dry at Shamrock Quay, Southampton

At about 1125 they were stolen. The whole thing is on CCTV, in fact the thief has been recorded on multiple cameras across the site.

He and his mate drove onto the marina at 0950 in a Silver Citron Xsara Picasso (images below).

He was wearing a distincive grey (or white) and black coat/jacket

He spent some time in the cafe on site.

At 1120 he returned to his car, pulled a dark coat or jacket over his jacket and then head to the back of our centre. After a quick scout about he grabbed the oilskins from the line, stuffed them in his bag, ran back to his car and drove off the marina.

If you can identify this thief and/or his car please do. Any information you give me will be passed onto the police along with the various footage we have. It goes with out saying that I will treat any emails, PMs or calls as anonymous if you ask me to.

We would like to see our customer's kit returned and the offender prosecuted.

The car in question has a distinctive dent in the boot lid to the right of and above the reg plate (see image below). It is also missing a bit of trim from the driver's door.

Unfortunatly we can't make out the reg plate, however think it ends EPW or EFW or similar, it may also start with a W.

To be clear there is no doubt that the man in the images below is a thief and there is no doubt he used this car, eveything is on CCTV. I am hoping that among the boating community that read this and other sites that someone can identify him. The dent to his Silver Citron Xsara Picasso (image below) is very distinctive.

The first image of the back of his car is really the one that I expect someone to recognise. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07 October 2013, 21:33   #2

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Doug you have a PM
Old 07 October 2013, 22:37   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Doug, I've removed the attachments as the Information Commissioner's advice is that

http://www.ico.org.uk/Global/~/media...INAL_2301.ashx

...if the system is established to help prevent and detect crime it will be appropriate to disclose images to law enforcement agencies where a crime needs to be investigated, but it would not be appropriate to disclose images of identifiable individuals to the media for entertainment purposes or place them on the internet. Images can be released to the media for identification purposes; this should not generally be done by anyone other than a law enforcement agency.

I assume they would do so with a slightly softer statement than: "To be clear there is no doubt that the man in the images below is a thief" - which is a judgement for the Court to make.

Generally when the police are involved they will ask for information to be reported direct to them rather than the complainer. If you have the details of the officer responsible it may be useful to add them to the thread. (And if they want the pics put back then pass on the request to me). I appreciate that RIBnet is a potentially useful resource in tracking down the alleged thief but you don't want to fall foul of the law, nor do we, and I am sure even more importantly you wouldn't want to risk giving his lawyer any way to weasel out of a conviction!
Old 07 October 2013, 23:00   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Fair enough, it would be up to the court to decide if he is guilty , however in my opinion there is no doubt that the man in the images stole the gear, I have watched him on several CCTV cameras from several angles.

In the mean time I don't think it is unreasonable to show an image of the back or the side of the getaway car, please put those two images back up
Old 08 October 2013, 07:08   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Doug , I have looked at images elsewhere and will keep an eye for car for full reg plate. Has MDL emailed this to all loacl marinas for their staff
Old 08 October 2013, 08:14   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Doug , I have looked at images elsewhere and will keep an eye for car for full reg plate. Has MDL emailed this to all loacl marinas for their staff
Is it possible to share the location of the images for viewing outside of here? By pm or email?
Old 08 October 2013, 08:36   #7

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
I know there are restrictions on the publications on images of individuals but do these restrictions also extend to property associated with that individual? Is it permissible to publish the image of the car only?
Old 08 October 2013, 09:23   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
I know there are restrictions on the publications on images of individuals but do these restrictions also extend to property associated with that individual? Is it permissible to publish the image of the car only?
Siochair - any image which allows the identification of an individual (and the ICO is clear that includes registration plates) is protected under the Data Protection Act. Its clear the purpose of posting an image of the car would be to identify an individual. The police are permitted to do it - they have checks and balances in place to ensure that privacy is not unnecessarily invaded, formal complaints can be investigated and an appropriate level of response is attached to information received from images.

We have no doubt that the eyes and ears of RIBnet could be a useful asset in preventing, detecting, and reporting marine related crime and I am currently suggesting to Doug how we can help without him potentially opening a massive can of worms in the process.
Old 08 October 2013, 09:33   #9

Publish the pics, send by pm if you want, whats the worse that could happen, i doubt the cops will come after you if its that obvious they are the thieves.
Old 08 October 2013, 09:35   #10

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Stick it on face book. No one stops you there.
PM me the pics and I'll put them up
Old 08 October 2013, 09:40   #11

Another situation where the law potentially reduces the chances of solving a crime.

There might be the case where this car has nothing to with it......maybe, possibly, potentially........
Old 08 October 2013, 10:08   #12

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Does make you wonder what CCTV and the police are for.
Old 08 October 2013, 10:17   #13

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I don't understand this - anyone in a public place can take a photograph of whatever and whoever they like, that is the law. Surely what they then wish to do with this photograph ie publish it, share it etc is up to them?
Old 08 October 2013, 10:22   #14
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Is it possible to share the location of the images for viewing outside of here? By pm or email?
pm sent with link
Old 08 October 2013, 10:24   #15

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Bit dodgy given that a recent case of a vigilante group exposing supposed paedophiles attacked & seriously injured a completely innocent man !!! Much as I might agree with catching the thieving scum the law's there for a reason even if it does seem stupid.
Old 08 October 2013, 10:25   #16
RIBnet supporter

Another way for Doug is to get Marine Police at Hamble to send out the images, they are allowed just needs a gentle boot up the **** to get the action done. If you struggle let me know as likely to see them this week whilst on charter from HPM. They will also use Twitter as a medium as I have looked at images they send out ref cars and people

Have to say that Doug is correct from links I have seen, if they can locate the thieves I cant see how they can deny- But wont go there!!!
Old 08 October 2013, 10:41   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Publish the pics, ..., whats the worse that could happen,
- someone innocent gets attacked / abused by an overzealous ribnetter
- an over enthusiastic ribnetter takes the law into his own hands and approaches the driver of the car and (a) gets a kicking / stabbed OR (b) ends up charged with assault / breach of the peace
- someone innocent spends a big part of their day answering police enquiries about a crime they didn't commit because a ribnetter is adamant it is the same man from some ropey images.
- a defence lawyer gets a 'thief' off using some technicalities of the law (or even just the threat of technicalities which make the CPS decide it is not worth the hassle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Stick it on face book. No one stops you there.
PM me the pics and I'll put them up
mmm... well Facebook might not be "moderated" but when Facebook cases do come before the courts the sentences are not insignificant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Another situation where the law potentially reduces the chances of solving a crime.
not really Peter, there is a process to follow which makes it perfectly acceptable to use the images. I'm just asking that we follow due process rather than assume that it will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Another way for Doug is to get Marine Police at Hamble to send out the images, they are allowed just needs a gentle boot up the **** to get the action done. If you struggle let me know as likely to see them this week whilst on charter from HPM. They will also use Twitter as a medium as I have looked at images they send out ref cars and people
- indeed, all I need is the name of the officer / case reference I'm willing to do the legwork and make sure he is OK with us publishing them.

We do want to use RIBnet as a way of helping tackle marine crime - but lets do so responsibly; it would be far better to be working with the police rather than risk undermining any investigation they may have.
Old 08 October 2013, 11:12   #18

I strongly suspect the police won't be investigating anything.it's a low value crime against what you'd have to assume is a middle class member of society, with no injury.

I suspect it will be issued a crime number for statistic/insurance purposes then with no further active action.

I fully respect anyone's right to want to investigate a crime to bring a guilty party to justice.

I don't agree with DPA in this situation or the process.
Old 08 October 2013, 11:37   #19

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
I strongly suspect the police won't be investigating anything.it's a low value crime against what you'd have to assume is a middle class member of society, with no injury. I suspect it will be issued a crime number for statistic/insurance purposes then with no further active action. I fully respect anyone's right to want to investigate a crime to bring a guilty party to justice. I don't agree with DPA in this situation or the process.
Some twat came on my drive the other night and nicked the front grill and lights of my new defender I wish I had CCTV of the thieving bastards with a picture and car reg I'd pay some body to find them and pay them a visit with a baseball bat, they wouldn't be picking anything up for a few weeks, where we live you do the crime and get found out you get battered the justice system in this country is a load bollocks
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2013, 11:43   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I strongly suspect the police won't be investigating anything.it's a low value crime against what you'd have to assume is a middle class member of society, with no injury.
personal experience suggests that is probably not the case (or certainly up in the frozen north!); especially if they have something to go on which a distinctive vehicle seems to be.

Quote:
I fully respect anyone's right to want to investigate a crime to bring a guilty party to justice.
Presumably you accept that has to be within the limits of the law!

Quote:
I don't agree with DPA in this situation or the process.
I suggest the forum for discussing that is not here - perhaps pop in to visit your local MP!