Old 30 July 2010, 07:26   #21

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
As simon b said earlier in the thread it could be the fact of some one going over your kit ,,,,although it is a ,,safety equipment ,,Advisory ,,check only ,

its not a hull survey ,,nor does it cover engines except for the ,,have you a spare, bungs /plugs should any hull skin fittings fail or perhaps a spare kill cord ,basic tool kit .

it could also be the fact that boaters in some areas dont all walk about in deck shoes/ salopettes have a rugby shirt with the latest all the world yacht race logo on , but have the correct basic/safety /emergency equipment and have a very well maintained boat ,,only thinking that they may get embarresed by the sea check as all the stuff they have works and is in good order but wasent of last years fashion or from the latest mail order chandler ,,, the lifejackets came from the last refit from the local ferry / trawler or that the anchor works fine but was a home made welded one .

Old 30 July 2010, 08:29   #22

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNLI Sea Safety View Post

1. Have you had an RNLI SEA Check - do you have any suggestions on how it may be improved?
No
Quote:
2. If not, have you previously heard of RNLI SEA Check?
I have
Quote:

3. If you have heard of SEA Check but not had one, what has stopped you?
They've never been where I am. Nt at the slipway when recovering / launching. Dn't know if I can 'book' a slot with them or how to do this.

As it's 2 ribs that I run - mine and clubs - they are kept ashore, away from the sea and taken out to play so I guess any appoinment would need to be at a site and if the weather is horrid we won't go so wasting everybodies time.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2010, 08:48   #23

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
1. Have you had an RNLI SEA Check - do you have any suggestions on how it may be improved?

No

Yes in the offshore magazine

felt it was for new boaters with little experience, I didn't think i would learn much having taken boating seriously with family/others for years.

IMHO it is a good idea but needs delivering correctly to target the right people. As pointed out, those posting on here take an active interest in what they are doing. Again, anyone subscribing to offshore membership is similar, aware what the RNLI do and probably sensible and intelligent enough to do some research before launching and likely do some form of qualification. Like a car they'd research it, pass the driving test, get insurance etc etc

To stereotype, it is the new to boating boaters, (less commonly rib owners) probably with hard boats (more commonly 90's fletchers, wakeboarding maxums or jetskiers) that should be targeted. Through naivety they buy it from local paper/dealer/flea bay (respective to aforementioned boat types), hitch it to the transit/range rover sport/double cab (respective to the aforementioned source), throw it in at a jetty, turn the key and head off as if it is a car.

Best place i would guess to speak with them is at busy launch spots.
Old 01 August 2010, 06:52   #24

Town: just N of Bristol
Boat name: Sable
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
I've heard of this as it was something the dive club I used to be with arranged for their SIBs. This was a couple of years ago but I think it was mostly making sure they had flares, radios etc. I found it quite interesting as it consolidated a list of what I needed to think about prior to having my own boat. For club boats its ideal as it tells you what to spend money on, otherwise you get a commitee who can't see the value of a lot of safety kit, arguing with experienced people who aren't quite sure what they need but think something would be a good idea. Presumably its still heavily advertised through BSAC ?

I've not actually had one on the SR4 as I've got lots of other things to sort first, and in all honesty I don't want to waste their time as would have thought they would be very busy with the amount of people out there who have even less of a clue than me.

I think I'm a fairly safety conscious person anyway, but once I've got everything the way I want it and working properly I might try and book one just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Also ref the previous suggestions you need a team effort - totty to draw them in and older types to advise. Generally people 'have been doing it that way for years' and don't appreciate someone young and female telling them they might be wrong.
Old 01 August 2010, 10:18   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Quote:

Never had one

Quote:
Yes, and i often recommend them to our customers

Quote:
I run a fleet of commercial boats and this topic is an area of my expertise so never needed one however I think Sea Check is a brilliant initative.

I must have been living in cloud land as I am pretty shocked by the perceptions of some people on here who I thought were enlightened. "Nit picking" and "elf and safety sort of person" are far from the perception I have of the sea check personnel and the scheme.
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2010, 14:37   #26

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I'll second Doug Stormforce, although I'm sure all partys have Maximum respect for the RNLI
Old 01 August 2010, 17:12   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Spoke to the RNLI today and are expecting a call to agree a time for it .

I will let everyone know how it goes as it seems no one has had one on here.
Old 02 August 2010, 12:41   #28
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:

1) No - Why compete with the Boat Safety Scheme? A Charity should not seek to duplicate the work of another charity or organisation. Supporting the larger BSS scheme would reach a much bigger audience.
2) Yes
3) Despite trying to arrange one nobody ever replied to my email - BIG TIME FAIL
Old 02 August 2010, 14:05   #29

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
1) No - Why compete with the Boat Safety Scheme? A Charity should not seek to duplicate the work of another charity or organisation. Supporting the larger BSS scheme would reach a much bigger audience.
2) Yes
3) Despite trying to arrange one nobody ever replied to my email - BIG TIME FAIL
I don't particularly want to arouse the wrath of Polwarth again by intruding with a fact in the realm of perceptions - but the Boat Safety Scheme (assuming we're talking about the same one) was established in 1997 by the Environment Agency and British Waterways to promote safety on the inland waterways.

SEA Checks are not restricted to the inland waterways, and there isn't really a conflict between them.

Not good news that nobody responded to your email though - although I am curious why you made the request in the first place when you think it's competing with something better. That's a serious question, by the way - not a dig. I would genuinely like to understand your thinking

Ian
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2010, 17:16   #30

Town: Crawley
Boat name: BerryBuoys
Make: BananaShark
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 EFi
MMSI: 235068187
Quote:
Yes, when we bought our first day boat 4 years ago. We felt we were a little naive about the whole thing and that as a minimum we should make sure the boat was properly equipped (we also booked some training early on). The very nice man from the RNLI met us at Hythe slipway and was very courteous, helpful, tactful and certainly not patronising or dictatorial - his advice was practical and relevant, and offered in a respectful way. If anything, he was maybe too diffident, we might have benefitted from a bit of a fire-and-brimstone pep talk! (but I know that's not what the SEA Check is all about).
For us it was definitely worth doing, our boat was better prepared after having it done and were better informed. I acknowledge that most of you lot have way more experience than we did, for anyone starting out though I feel it is worthwhile.
Quote:
N/A
Quote:
N/A