Old 29 June 2010, 02:32   #1

Town: Milton
Boat name: Sanford 6M
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: TBD - Outboard
Can anyone identify this RIB?

Hello,

I'm new to the sight, but love all the good information. I recently bought the attached with hopes of bringing it back to life, but have a couple key questions before I start cutting holes to install a fuel tank below deck.

First, a little about the boat. It was advertised as a 1994 (era) Avon 6.0 SeaRider. The boat measures about 17' from stem to stern, and 6'2" in the beam at it's widest. It apparently had twin engines, but I plan to install a single engine, when I get to that point.

Below are some questions: Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the purpose of the opening (about 4" in diameter) in the stern (center line, down towards the bottom of the hull - not the 2 4" holes for deck draining). It appears to be a tube that runs towards the bow, but I have no idea. Is there something that plugs it, or does it serve a useful technical purpose?

2. When I was cleaning out the bilge, which was very dirty, I noticed that the water really didn't drain. I did notice some .25" holes in various places in the hull, and at one point, there was some water draining out. Was the boat made with these holes, or was this something done, for whatever reason, after the fact? Does the boat use water for "ballast"? Can the holes be plugged, and drain plugs installed in the stern? The reason I'm asking, is that I would like to install an aluminum tank below the deck, but I'm not sure what to think about what is going on below deck.

3. Do I have what I think I have? or is this another model? Also, will a 150hp motor be appropriate for this boat?

4. Finally, what is the affect on handling if I shift the center Console towards the center of the boat, as opposed to towards the bow, as I believe it was originally.

Photos are on this website: http://gallery.me.com/milton.leimkuehlers#100148
Old 29 June 2010, 07:22   #2

Boat name: NEM2
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Seariders have indeed a water ballast system.
Thats what that 4" opening in the stern is for.
do a search on "flooding hull" on the forum here.

More info and specs on your boat:

http://www.avon-workboats.com/page/sr6c1
Old 29 June 2010, 23:30   #3

Thanks for the info. The Flooding hull is certainly new to me. I was going to sink a fuel tank under the deck, now I'm not so sure.

I pressure washed some of the bilge (that I could see), and the water still has yet to drain out. Do you know if this is normal? Like I said, I did see some holes in the hull (they look like they below), but water only temporarily drained out. They may be clogged, so I'll do some investigating there...
Old 30 June 2010, 10:27   #4

Town: copenhagen
Make: Avon SR 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: E-tec 90hp
My SR4.7 has the water ballast as well. However i've closed the holes since i didn't find it so usefull after all. I tried to get the drawings from Avon a few years ago because i wanted to build a fuel tank intothe hull. They didn't want to let me know the details of the hull. I know there som fixed buoyancy inside the ballast area also, so it a bit complicated to do the mod. After all i skipped the idea.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:45   #5

Might skip putting the fuel tank below decks

Thanks, njensen. I've read several of the posts regarding blocking vs. "open" hull, and I think I'm leaning towards leaving it open for now, just to get a feel for the boat (and get it in the water sooner : ) )

It just seems that having the fuel above decks puts the center of gravity higher than it should be, but I guess this is the way to go... for now.
Old 30 June 2010, 14:19   #6

Town: copenhagen
Make: Avon SR 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: E-tec 90hp
The boat is designed for having the fuel on the deck, so center of gravity should not be a big issue. unless you want to carry 200-300 liters...

I have not plugged the holes permanetly. For the 2 front holes i have used 2 drain plugs, and for the 4" hole a plastic inspection hatch. All 3 are just glued with Sika flex. No screws at all.

They have been sitting there for 7-8 years now... and you can open it in 10 sec. if you think there's anything interesting in there ;-)