Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 September 2010, 08:28   #1

Town: Bristol, UK
Boat name: Wannabe ;-)
Length: no boat
Can anyone give an opinion or any info on any of these SR4s for sale please ?

I've been a bit dim and buried this question in the middle of another thread, and digressed into beach buggies too, so hoping that the more obvious title to this one might get some responses. Apologies for the repeat / cross post of this - http://rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=369928&postcount=4

They are all on ebay at the moment - I've learned how to use the forum a bit better now and the pics below are clickable links to the ebay pages so hopefully this is a more user friendly way of asking

If you have the time to have a look and are able to help with any info or comments, many thanks. If not, sorry to bother you

1 is in Locks Heath, Fareham

Seller seems genuine and friendly, boat has central console so as much open deck space as possible (useful if I want dive kit onboard), has bits of kit which will get me going, has VHF and GPS so I might even know where I am and get rescued if not .... 40hp seems enough for this size boat, and it will all fit in my garage too. Wondering about something like this as a 'just get going' solution. Is not having electric start a big issue ?

2 is in Portsmouth

Seems simple, console again, grab rail, A frame, needs more kitting out, has a slightly bigger engine. Presumably reserve is below £2,000 somewhere. I'm suspicious of the metal plate on the transom, or is that normal ?

3 is in Liverpool

This is the type with the ordinary seats. I'm guessing it'd be pretty easy to take the back ones out to leave some room for kit. Possibly better for my 8 yr old than a jockey seat type. Looks to have been either looked after or done up. Seller again seems friendly and helpful. Engine more powerful. All looks very tidy and well looked after - looks like a drive away solution with everything there. No idea what the reserve is though.

I'm trying to learn what to look out for, and know that I need to go and physically look at boats, but am trying to filter a bit, and also exclude any obvious lemons
Old 15 September 2010, 11:16   #2

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
1st one in fareham looks very good, shame about the non electric start but not the end of the world certainly and you could probably convert it cheaply enough by adding a startmotor etc - and fully kitted out also - the boat itself looks a later model and cared for - 40hp will be fine

the 2nd one, that engine is ancient 1980ish maybe earlier tubes look painted and a 1970's boat,

the 3rd in liverpool looks good basis and a good solid one to convert to jockey seating at a later ppint, cracking engine by the looks even though a 2pot, will be lighter in weight tho will go like stink

again if the price is right, I'd be aiming for the fareham one first, the liverpool second, and probably not at all the third if it was me

ask the sellers questions best of luck, I loved my old sr4! great boats, have a nose at my old sr4 website
Old 15 September 2010, 11:27   #3

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Hi, Have a look here for some buying advice:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ght=buying+rib
Old 15 September 2010, 12:11   #4

Thanks very much,

Any thoughts on whether my 8 year old might be happier (warmer, drier, feel safer) with the bucket seat and screen rather than the jockey type ? Does it make much difference ? (My impression is that for adult playtime, I really want a jockey seat so I can use my legs as shock absorbers a bit, stand up etc ? But I would definitely use it more if it was sufficiently child friendly..... I appreciate that depends a lot on the particular child of course !!)

Sounds like it may be worth the drive to go and have a look at a couple of these then

thanks
Old 15 September 2010, 12:35   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
From my limited experience my 7 year old loves the jockey seat - most people on here will agree that jockeys are far more practical for UK use. You will get wet in a RIB so always dress to stay warm and dry on the inside anyway (layers/fleeces/waterproofs). As per advice on your other topics though you might want to look at a slightly bigger rib if possible.
Old 17 September 2010, 08:40   #6
TMB

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic 21,3x SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x75,2x40,90hp
Take a drive to weymouth some time. Give me a bell. I operate a few 5.4m Sr and an Atlantic 21 every day. It might give you an idea on what sort of size boat you will be best suited too. Im pretty sure my 4m Sr is sold now
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PAA11297
If it doesnt you are more than welcome to try it out. (with your son etc)
I am allways available for RIb/engine/training advice. Enjoy your boating!
Old 18 September 2010, 16:43   #7

Thank you, I will try and get down to you !