Old 28 April 2007, 14:57   #1

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Campsites in West Scotland?

Hi all, has anyone been to a decent campsite on the west coast of scotland (not too far up though) that has boat launch facilities? Or maybe one of the islands? Dont want to be in the car for ages cos of the small babies, but somewhere with good scenery, and places to visit on the rib. Thanks in advance!
Old 28 April 2007, 17:12   #2

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Having a wee bit of local knowledge, I'd suggest finding a campsite on the coast somewhere SW of Glasgow, then you can visit some islands without paying CalMac an extortionate amount for ferry fares

Not sure of any off hand, but maybe Maidens (S of Culzean) or there might be somewhere in the vicinity of Largs...

...but beware of the Vikings!

Ayrshire & Arran tourist board may be able to help. Or not.

VisitScotland is most unlikely to be of any assistance at all.

Good Luck with the search!
Old 28 April 2007, 17:20   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Vince,

Can't help you with any camp sites but last year we went sailing from Largs and Ardrossan around the local islands and the scenery was stunning. Also the little harbours didn't seem too busy and had good facilities and good hotels.
It seems like a good area for Ribbing. Plenty of navigation to tax your brain and shelter from nearly any wind direction. And if its really good weather you could pop across to Northern Ireland.
Old 28 April 2007, 17:39   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Vince,

What do you define as west coast - but not too far north? Perhaps give a vague idea of cruising ground... even - e.g. west kintyre / argyle, around oban, or the clyde eastury would be a good guide.

Also what do you consider to be a "good" campsite. My ideal campsite has no one else on it except me - many otherpeople seem to look for something with "facilities" so if there are things you want then that might narrow the search/options a little.

How young are the kids? do you need things to do with them if the weather is not suitable for them to go to sea?

How far away from shops / pubs etc do you want to be?

Also in theory in Scotland you can camp anywhere on open land where you are not damaging the land, restricting access to others, causing a nuicance etc - although obviously if someone has fenced off an area from the public then that is probably private land. I don't think technically this is the case in England.

With that info I am sure someone here can narrow down your search.

Neil
Old 28 April 2007, 20:20   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
There is a camp site north of Oban, right on the shore with a slip. We saw divers launching to dive a nearby wreck with ribs.

Oban being the gateway to the Island has dozens of ferries to explore or take the rib. The islands create a sound which is reasonably sheltered and just perfect for exploring by rib.

Tobermory would be a good trip in a rib up the sound, but probably to far with youngones. Only problem, Oban is known as the wettest place in the UK

Pete
Old 28 April 2007, 22:05   #6

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
You need to be more specific. The west of Scotland is a big place!
I have Ribbed up and down the coast and out to most of the islands for some years and still am far from done. I think you would need several lifetimes to be able to state you had seen it all.
If you state a general area I may be able to advise but unless you have shelter on the boat most of the area isn't really suitable for children due to lack of facilities and rapidly changing weather.
In saying that the few weekends we have like this one are absolutely ideal.
Old 29 April 2007, 05:41   #7

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Camping sites West Coast of Scotland

Oban area - Tralee Bay just North of Oban has an excellent slip.
North Ledaig is a touring caravan site with some campig and a small slip
Oban Caravan and camping at Glenshellach - campsite within 400m of Puffin Divers. The latter have full boating facilities slipway, petrol/diesel alongside. Oban Caravan Park hasa small pontoon/holding mooring.

All campsites have excellent facilities

Easy sheltered water, Kerrera Sound through Loch Etieve or north up Loch Linnie, more adventurous trips head south to Garvellachs, Fladda, Belnahua Black Isles etc

Tony Hill
Old 29 April 2007, 08:53   #8

Thanks for all the replies! As usual with the net, theres TOO much info/campsites on there to make a choice, so thought a recommendation would be best.
It sounds like Oban area is the place to concentrate on, sheltered, fuel, good ameneties etc, as we do have 2 babies with us. I do prefer just my bivvy bag and a camp fire Polwart, but kids and all that...
Will keep looking, oh and find the midgy repellent! Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 29 April 2007, 09:23   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
I do prefer just my bivvy bag and a camp fire Polwart, but kids and all that...
Will keep looking, oh and find the midgy repellent! Thanks for the suggestions.
Vince, i completely understand about the babies... what age are they?

one option worth considering would be tayvallich (roughly 30 miles s. of oban). http://www.tayvallich.com/ It is a little village at the top of loch sween. Tayvallich is probably the most sheltered natural harbour on the west coast. Loch sween itself is also very sheltered in most conditions so is great for the kids - plenty of little inlets and islands to look at explore around too if they are at the slightly older age. Some fantastic beaches (e.g. Kilmory Bay) with virtually noone else around (we were there on the sunniest day of the year - and there were 3 families on a massive beach!)

The great thing about tayvallich is that there is a hamlet called Carsaig (not to be confused with the same name on Mull) which has a slip (not as good as tayvallichs) into the sound of jura - this is a bit more exposed - but means you can quickly get further afield without travelling down loch sween, or get a mix of sheltered and livlier ribbing (e.g. cruise to jura, mull etc or through the corrywrecan (sp?) - or even just walk over the small hill in the morning to see how looks in the more exposed sea - before deciding what to do.

there are two caravan sites, one in tayvallich and one at carsaig - I think they both have camping facilities. Neither of these will be luxury campsites but looked nice enough when we stayed in a cottage their last summer.

Midges weren't bad at all last year - but go prepared.
Old 29 April 2007, 15:56   #10

Thanks for the info Polwart, have seen a campsite on the net that Stormchild went to last year i think, Resipole on Loch Sunart. Its further up from Oban, but fairly easy to get to, only 1 ferry crossing! Its roughly the same time/distance as Tayvallich that you recommended, with the added bonus that if the weather is ok, GL`s 2 + 1 year old kids can go to Ballamory! Going the 26 May, so will post pics hopefully. Cheers
Old 29 April 2007, 16:25   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
Thanks for the info Polwart, have seen a campsite on the net that Stormchild went to last year i think, Resipole on Loch Sunart. Its further up from Oban, but fairly easy to get to, only 1 ferry crossing! Its roughly the same time/distance as Tayvallich that you recommended, with the added bonus that if the weather is ok, GL`s 2 + 1 year old kids can go to Ballamory! Going the 26 May, so will post pics hopefully. Cheers
sounds good...
Old 29 April 2007, 16:27   #12

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Tobermory

Hi Vince....
Good choice for the little ones >>> and the Mishnish is famous for its hospitality
I will hopefully be in Tob on the 26th as well , but coming out of Oban/ Gallanach, with a dive on the way up the Sound before diving into the inn !
I'll keep a look out for you ... Hope the weather is kind to us all
Jeff
Old 29 April 2007, 17:15   #13

Sounds good Jeff, we'll keep a look out. Have a good time and stay safe!