Old 09 January 2003, 13:22   #1

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Camp-sites close to marinas

Although my new boat won't now be ordered until next year (my "wish list" got a bit too long) I was wondering how to fill in the time between RIB-ing. I hope to sell my current boat shortly and while I am RIB-less, I should like to try camping (with a tent as opposed to a caravan) in conjunction with my Zodiac 3.10 + Yamaha 8. OK, I shan't put all the gear in the Zodiac!

Initially, I shall drive to a marina and use a campsite nearby. No problem here, as I shall have my car. But what about camp-sites close to the water, when I take my tent with me in the RIB? Ideally, I need to carry the gear from the boat to a site, so it needs to be walking distance.

I believe Mercury Marina (Hamble) has a camp site just outside and would appear to be a good option for a trip up from Poole.

Does anyone know of other sites along the South Coast that meet this criteria?

My main crew will be my daughter, who is into several forms of water sports, including windsurfing (in Greece, as often as possible).

On a different note, does anyone know of marinas that have boat racking systems between Brighton and Poole? I am now leaning towards a 7 - 7.5 mtr boat and my car is far too weedy to cope with such a load!

I hope to keep my RIB on the rack at at Cobbs Quay (have you seen MDL's new facilities? They are great!) but I need to be aware of other options, in case there is no room available. I know about Poole Boat Park and I think that there might be another one somewhere in Poole Harbour going out past Salterns, but I don't know where.

Thanks for your help!

Chris.
Old 09 January 2003, 16:31   #2

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
Chris,
I can't help you with the camp sites but, I bought my boat from Bembridge Outboards at Bembridge, IOW and they have both outside and indoor racks which will take a boat of that size. Not so convenient if you live on the mainland tho'.

Dave
Old 09 January 2003, 19:19   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Down the east end of portsmouth island in Eastney there is a camp site about 10mins walk from a public slip. Southsea Marina is also near by. The slip into Langstone harbour can be tricky as its normally launching into current, however for the wise and experienced its easy.

There is heaps to do for the boaty types down here, Langstone Harbour, Portsmouth Harbour, Southampton Water, Isle of White etc ....

If you want more local info please e-mail me.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (35.0 KB, 244 views)

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2003, 19:21   #4

Sorry the last map ended up being corrupted for some reason.

Trying again ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (35.0 KB, 218 views)

www.badviz.com
Old 09 January 2003, 19:24   #5

I give up ... does not seem to want to work! Sorry

www.badviz.com
Old 09 January 2003, 20:45   #6

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Chris

Three dry berth marinas / boatyards in south area I can think of are

Merlin Boatpark near Itchen bridge Woolston southampton- no racks but will winch your boat on request from trailer / stand for you onto their pontoons for you to drive away, be aware that it is a 3 to 4 mile stretch out to mouth of southampton water

Sparks boatyard I believe on hayling uses racking system

Hamble point marina can offer dry berthing from a trailer, and you are straight out to sea from there, probably quite expensive because of its location

There are also a few others available down the Hamble, worth taking your smaller boat to the Hamble area to explore it first as it is very pretty with loads to see, plenty of water to explore if sea too choppy you can go up southampton water for miles, up the river Itchen, portsmouth harbour is nearby which is interesting to explore and the beatifull river beauli is not far away

Plenty of pubs to motor to, for lunches, loads going on, attached link gives some info on area

http://www.hamble.demon.co.uk/index.html

should be plenty of campsites, especially towards the new forest

also you are right about mercury campsite see link

http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk.../riverside.htm
Old 09 January 2003, 20:50   #7

Hi Dave and Andy,

Thanks for your suggestions.

As you say Dave, Bembridge could be a problem, living on the mainland (home is 100 miles away) but since a trailer is "out" and a "rack of RIBs" could become popular, I welcome any suggestions. I would be most upset if I couldn't order a boat because there was nowhere to put it!

Having spent 14 years preparing and antifouling Aries II every Winter, I have no intention of keeping its successor (Aries III, would you believe) in the water. I might change my mind when it too is 14 years old, but in the meantime, I think that a rack is probably the best option.

Andy, I think I know the place you are talking about. I went to Langstone Marina for a night about 10-years' ago and I seem to remember that there was a camp site around then. Well done - tremendous effort with the maps!

Best wishes,

Chris.
Old 09 January 2003, 21:16   #8

Matiboy

Thank you for your suggestions.

Aries II has been berthed in Chichester Yacht Basin, Ocean Village and currently Port Hamble, so I am certainly comfortable with Chichester Harbour and the Hamble.

I did think about Merlin, as I used to have a mid-season scrub there (the boat as well). I think I read recently that Merlin has been sold and will no longer be a boatyard, which is a pity, because it would have been quite a good choice, albeit not quite up to the standards of the Hamble.

I shall check out Sparkes Boatyard in the coming months.

I agree that the Hamble is terrific and I shall be sorry to leave Port Hamble - In my opinion, this marina is possibly the best on the South Coast - great staff too! Unfortunately, they don't offer a racking system.

Hamble Point is a problem because I can't launch a 7 - 7.5 mtr boat without launching the car at the same time!

Back on the "Campsites close to marinas" theme, please include the Channel Islands along with the South Coast, as I rather like their cheap petrol and the navigational challenge is inspiring!

Happy Boating!

Chris.
Old 09 January 2003, 21:49   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Re: Matiboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Murray

"Campsites close to marinas" theme, please include the Channel Islands along with the South Coast, as I rather like their cheap petrol and the navigational challenge is inspiring!

Happy Boating!

Chris.
The one Charles refers to in the Cruising threads is http://www.herm-island.com/camping/index.html in the Channel Islands. Being on Herm I think it must be pretty close to the oggin.

Whilst not a Marina Ladram Bay Caravan and Camping site has its own slipway down to the beach.

http://www.ladrambay.co.uk/

For a small rib or sib the slip is fine but it does not usually reach into the water and you will need to carry the sib or use plastic rollers (usually planty at the bottom of the slip). This is fine putting the boat in as the pebble beach slopes steeply. There is a winch (fee payable) for dragging the boat back up or enlist the help of the friendly natives.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2003, 15:39   #10

Town: Poole
Chris

I believe there are 5 racking systems around the Poole area, they are:

- Cobbs Quay & Poole Boat Park - as you state
- Mitchells Boat Yard, Turks Lane: I think this is the one you are refering to near Salterns. Is a little bit cheaper than Cobbs but more basic facilities. That said we kept a boat there for years and aside from needing to keep clear at LWS it was fine
- Rockley Boat Park, Hamworthy: I could be dreaming it but i'm 99% sure they put one in last year.
- There's also a very small tatty one between Poole Boat Park and the RNLI headquarters on the channel to Holes Bay.

Beyond Poole the next rack is at Haven Quay in Lymington but I believe its got a very long waiting list and there are a couple up the Itchen in Southampton - one is called Merlin Quay I think

If you are really keen to get your boat in to one of these I suggest booking it in for the summer but taking a berth now for the remainder of the winter. The result is you have possession of the berth and you q jump.

Drop me an email if you want any more info re Poole

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2003, 15:49   #11

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Glatzel
Merlin Quay
- now advertising in RIBlines as "Drivers Wharf"
Old 13 January 2003, 11:29   #12

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
....any phone number / web adress given?