Old 13 January 2002, 08:02   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
By RIB to the Bahamas

Hello

No I haven't taken leave of my senses by taking my little inflatable across the Atlantic! Here is an article you will enjoy:

http://www.motorboatingandsailing.co...mall_boat.html

Comments welcome.

Cheers

Keith Hart
Old 13 January 2002, 13:31   #2

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Four years ago I was invited by a friend to take part in the Bahamas Billfish Championship;there are 5 or 6 rouds all at different locatons spread over January to June / July.

I went to Treasure Cay on Great Abaco which involved taking a 40 foot boat from Stuart in Florida to Abaco a distance of approx. 190 miles.As luck would have it the day of departure was windy and for the 3 hours crossing the Gulf Stream was lively but once on the Bahamas bank thigs calmed down.

Thia area is truly fantastic for boating -turquoise seas, white sand and hundreds of coves islands etc.

On the day off from the competition I hired a 25 foot dory and pottered between the cays.Navigation is not that difficult but you have to beware of the smooth head shaped rocks which linger just below the surface and the sand which can build up into underwater dunes -it was not unusual to see the paths of twin propellors on the sea bed.

Out at sea the weather could brew up pretty quickly;one day reports were coming over the radio that 60 kt. winds were being reported-as the storm came near it looked like a brick wall approaching and as it went over us visibilty was zero.Funnily enough it did not really create a big sea perhaps because of its speed.

Any way if you get the chance go to the islands (avoiding Nassau) and you will find a boaters paradise