Old 30 October 2011, 14:17   #11

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
i see its a mecury ask to see the P.D.I. ticket (hopefully the selling dealer printed the PDI and registration of the factory extranet) if no documents get the serial number and phone barrus ask to speak to Rosemary Hicks and ask her if she will check that it is not stolen and all the correct registrations have been done,eg If it hasnt been registered then it starts to get complicated not impossible though.
good luck
uncle al

Old 30 October 2011, 14:21   #12

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
i forgot to mention a water test as well.if no serial number walk away!! could be stolen, and some spare parts are identyfied by serial number, otherwise it can be by guess and by god

Old 30 October 2011, 15:00   #13

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I had the engine serial number checked after my first viewing, my engineer followed it up when he surveyed it as it was fitted by a company he knows well, I also now have every manual, scrap plastic bag with some spare thing in it along with hundreds of little bits of paper and bills.

The only discrepancy is the original Ribtec manual shows the max fuel tank capacity as 25l yet I managed to get just over 40 in it so I've either been to a dodgy pump of the manual isn't entirely correct, I expect the latter and it's meant to hold 100l
Old 30 October 2011, 15:06   #14

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
16k is a bargain for this package, you are getting a very good package at that price.

Others have pointed out very good and important buying tips.

If you are paying 16k, then pay a couple of 100 and get it surveyed, if you want. But don't be too suspicious, and ask the owner to tell you more about the rib, you can tell if something fishy is going on.

Enjoy it!
Old 30 October 2011, 15:07   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
manual shows the max fuel tank capacity as 25l yet I managed to get just over 40 in it so I've either been to a dodgy pump of the manual isn't entirely correct, I expect the latter and it's meant to hold 100l
25 gal then?
Old 30 October 2011, 15:15   #16

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Arrr, thanks, that figures, someone put an L instead of a G

I had is surveyed, this is boat number 5 so had a few surveys in the past, the last one I had a thermal scan of the hull done, got some great images of the make up of the hull. This is the fist one I've bought privately, not counting the Valiant as I got if from a very old friend who's had it donkeys years.
Old 30 October 2011, 17:15   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
[QUOTE=thomas;427498

I know to make sure the VAT is paid and that I have a builders certificate, which I guess if they have then there will be no finance outstanding, I will also complete a bill of sale, but are there any other documents I need.
.[/QUOTE]

Builders cert only states that the boat was built by "builder" on "date" for "customer" who may be the original (or other) dealer.
It has no bearing on finance.

VAT invoice onlys shows VAT has been paid by the customer named on the invoice. If that is a company the vat may have been claimed back.

Ideally what you need is every original invoice or bill of sale from new showing the complete history.

Having said that looking at the photo because of it's value it's unlikely to have a mortgage secured against it and if it's relatively new the paperwork should be easy fir the vendor to produce.

Regards