Old 05 March 2014, 20:10   #1

Length: 4m +
Buying a used zodiac pro

Hi my name is Ben,
First of all sorry about my english.
I just standing before a decision to sell my fiberglass boat a buy a rib.
In my country there arent alot of used rib but I found a PVC Zodiac pro 500 2009(Z14234 model) with a 2 stroke 75 hp yamaha same year.
The boat looks good it has only three small patches from the repair kit that the owner put on it on very small hole,as he said.
Now due to my lack of expirience with ribs I read alot about what I need to check but for the price I couldnt know what the talk about with the seller.
So first of all will you reccomand this boat as a first rib?
What will be the estimaited price for it including a basic trailer?
And if you have more tip on what to check in this boat before buying I would love to hear.
Thank you for your help,
Ben
Old 05 March 2014, 21:38   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

The Zodiac Pro 500 is the same boat as the earlier Pro 9-man (4.7m), effectively renamed. It's a shallow to mid V hull which is fine for sheltered waters, but does have a tendency to slap in the rough stuff.

The boat material is PVC (Strongan Duotex), and are fairly easy to repair with 2-pack glue and the right ambient temperature. You mention patches, so take a closer look to see there aren't any bulges and it's completely air tight. Zodiac also introduced Hypalon on their leisure boats, but pretty sure this will be on much newer models.

The 500 was available with integrated hull fuel tank, or tanks fitted in the console or under the bench seat. Check hull for finish, especially the keel. Surface abrasions are fine, but anything that exposes the fibreglass weave or chips needs to be dealt with.

Also check the console for spider-cracks in the gel-coat. On my Pro I had these marks, they weren't structural but shouldn't be there.

The tubes are held on at the bow (webbing strap) and at the transom. Once partly deflated the tubes can slide off the hull rail. Might be worth deflating to check condition. Also useful to clean sand that gets lodged in this area and acts as an abrasive between the hull and the tubes. Zodiac have extensive dealer network, but be warned, prices aren't cheap for their parts.

Engine. The Yamaha 75hp 2-stroke is a great mid sized outboard. Plenty grunt to weight ratio, easy to work on with extensive parts available. Check for service history and that it starts and trims, without hesitation. Will need annual impeller change and gear oil change as minimum. Only trouble is the Pro 500 is rated for a maximum 70hp engine. Sure you can run it with 75hp, but insurance will be an issue given hull rating.

http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/boat/149/pro-classic-500

The Pro 500s I've seen have 60hp 4-strokes or lower. Seems to be preferred choice.
Old 05 March 2014, 21:53   #3

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Welcome to the forum. The Zodiac Pro 500 is the same boat as the earlier Pro 9-man (4.7m), effectively renamed. It's a shallow to mid V hull which is fine for sheltered waters, but does have a tendency to slap in the rough stuff. The boat material is PVC (Strongan Duotex), and are fairly easy to repair with 2-pack glue and the right ambient temperature. You mention patches, so take a closer look to see there aren't any bulges and it's completely air tight. Zodiac also introduced Hypalon on their leisure boats, but pretty sure this will be on much newer models. The 500 was available with integrated hull fuel tank, or tanks fitted in the console or under the bench seat. Check hull for finish, especially the keel. Surface abrasions are fine, but anything that exposes the fibreglass weave or chips needs to be dealt with. Also check the console for spider-cracks in the gel-coat. On my Pro I had these marks, they weren't structural but shouldn't be there. The tubes are held on at the bow (webbing strap) and at the transom. Once partly deflated the tubes can slide off the hull rail. Might be worth deflating to check condition. Also useful to clean sand that gets lodged in this area and acts as an abrasive between the hull and the tubes. Zodiac have extensive dealer network, but be warned, prices aren't cheap for their parts. Engine. The Yamaha 75hp 2-stroke is a great mid sized outboard. Plenty grunt to weight ratio, easy to work on with extensive parts available. Check for service history and that it starts and trims, without hesitation. Will need annual impeller change and gear oil change as minimum. Only trouble is the Pro 500 is rated for a maximum 70hp engine. Sure you can run it with 75hp, but insurance will be an issue given hull rating. http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/boat/149/pro-classic-500 The Pro 500s I've seen have 60hp 4-strokes or lower. Seems to be preferred choice.
Bloody hell! Comprehensive answer. Can't add much to that....

Welcome to the forum.... And possibly to Rib ownership!
Old 05 March 2014, 22:03   #4

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Yep agree with you Paul that's the kind of answer your always looking for. Btw welcome to the forum Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2014, 07:06   #5

Thanks!!!

Man this is more than I expected.
Thank you very much for your answer.
One thing you didn't mentioned what will be the estimated price for it.
Let say in the Uk or the percentage from a new boat so I could compare it to the price here.
Again thank you very much
Ben
Old 06 March 2014, 10:51   #6

B.t.w
The boat is marked as zodiac pro 9 man and not pro 500.
Can you tell me is the year is what the seller says?
Because I can not find a year the year written on the plate.
Thank u
Ben
Old 06 March 2014, 12:56   #7

Town: London
Boat name: Various
Make: Various -
Length: no boat
Engine: 2.5 - 250 hp
Hi Ben,

The Year is the Last 2 Digits of the Serial Number.

You can find the Serial Number on a Silver Plate on the Outside of the transom. this isn't the "Serie" number on the inside plate.

Hope this helps, if you need any advice please feel free to pick up the phone and we will be happy to help.

James
Open Monday to Saturday - 0900 to 1800 (sometimes later)
ChasTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2014, 16:05   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Hello

I own a pro 9 man which is 2006 and is insured for 7K with her trailer. Virtually immaculate throughout - or she was before we got a hold of her

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote