Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 December 2009, 10:12   #21

Town: Deventer
Boat name: none
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury F20M
ALready goy a 310 sib. this fits exactley in de back of my car, with engine, fuel and other gear. But im tired to assemble it each time. Also the lifting weight is problem, its a real stuggle for my girlfriend to lift the boat into the water. Thats the reason why i want a rib on a trailer. it dont have to be big, or super fast. I only use it with 2 people, maybe 3 sometimes.

the distances i have to drive with it, varies from 30 to 150KM.

I really like a console on it, and also that is not very common on a normal sib.
Old 10 December 2009, 10:18   #22

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianflint View Post
I also doubt that the panda will pull a rib out of the water. Another consideration is that with the nose weight of the trailer pushing down the rear of the car, the front wheels will be more likely to loose grip.
Nah. MAX hitch weight wll be 75Kg, possibly less on a Panda, and with a lightweight boat/ trailer , probably nearer 40Kg. The hitch on a panda is going to be very close to the rear axle, so the levarage against approx 2/3 the weight of the car will make naff all difference.

If I can get a Dory up a pebble beach with a '96 1.2 Fester , a lighrtweight rib on a decent slip shouldnlt ba a problem.

As Pol says, there's a lot of "recovery Paranoia" round here. I know someone who regularly drags a ton or so of Ribcraft up the slip with a Vectra...... Granted, when on a beach he had to ask the man with the tractor....

If it's light enough to manoever with 2 people on a sub 100Kg launch trolley, The "Combi" is not as daft as it may seem. Remember a Laser 16 weighs in at a whopping 250Kg, and can be easily launched by hand with 2 people.

Cars in General have advanced quite a bit since '88. Chassis / suspension design has improved, as have brakes. Going for a braked trailer will significanly reduce the amount of carrying capacity (i.e your boat) so you may find that a sizeable chunk of the extra 400Kg braked capacity will be taken up by the trailer....... Remember 4 "standard average EU blokes" in the car will add around 300Kg to the vehicle ....

I reckon your biggest problem is going to be finding a super light low emission engine in the 20 HP region.
Old 10 December 2009, 10:34   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I think he might have been getting at buying a RIB from a known brand.
I was comparing a Zodiac 4m SIB (approx 90kg) to a Zodiac 4m RIB (approx 180 kg). A big difference - but not at part of the total package - engine, trailer, etc.
Old 10 December 2009, 11:52   #24

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
An Avon Adventure 4m with a 30hp 4-stroke should do the job for you. They can be fitted with side by side seating on a bench, with a small steering console for the helm. I don't know if you will get it under 400kg with the trailer, but you'd definitely be under 800kg with a braked trailer. You'd have to be looking at a used one though, to stay within budget. Blackroady has one, which he was thinking of selling, but may have changed his mind on that?

Recovering on a slipway should be fine, if, as you say, it's asphalt and presuming it's not too steep.
Old 10 December 2009, 12:15   #25

Thanks all for thinking with me!

I really enjoy sailing(dont know a other word in englisch). And a bit bigger boat just gives me a better feeling, especially between all big boats out there.

I found a boat that really fits my needs!

Its the Brig Flacon Tender 360L, and it only weights 112KG! with engine it propably would weight arround 180-200 KG MAX!

Old 10 December 2009, 12:34   #26

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Sailing is a good general word for being afloat...... Strictly speaking it's being afloat with big white triangles on your mast, but don't loose any sleep over it!

Cool. if you think it will be around the 200Kg mark with the engine, You will easily find a non braked trailer to fit. At that weight your problem might be finding a braked trailer that will be any use :-

Boat - 200Kg. Braked trailer, say 300Kg. total weight 500Kg. Most overrun hitches are based on a >750Kg tow. Ypu have a light load. if you got, say, a 750Kg hitch, the brakes would hardly ever apply, as the spring would never see the required "overtaking" forward force from the weight of the trailer.

As you could easily get a 130-ish Kg unbraked trailer to hold that rib off the road, your total towed mass will be around 330Kg..... And with no brakes, a lot less to maintain as well.....
Old 10 December 2009, 15:07   #27

A friend of mine has a small Brig like that with a 25hp Honda. It's a nice little boat to run around on the river. Brig also make a 4m RIB, which looks a nice leisure boat. They have a choice of consoles and toobs in Hypalon are also an option.
Old 10 December 2009, 15:36   #28

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Blackroady has one, which he was thinking of selling, but may have changed his mind on that?
Was , I still am - mine however is a heavy boat for 4m - 115kg of Yam on the back , 50L Petrol - 85AH battery - remotes , Heavy A frame , bigger console. Anchor + chain etc etc .

Proper pics on here somwhere from Januarys 'Nacho Run' . or the little one on the left ........

Do-able for the Fiat ( legally I am sure ) just have to take care. 750 kg is actually really quite alot though.

The Brig with a smaller engine looks ideal - I considered it before I got my Avon - just not quite big enough to ski etc behind for me.
Old 10 December 2009, 15:45   #29

Town: Pwllheli
Boat name: PapaPapaTango/bigblu
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150hp/225opi
from what i know with customers and friends that have had brigs they are not necessarily the strongest of boats.... you would probably be better off with an avon
0845 612 6850 07921 855 243
Trist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2009, 15:59   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trist View Post
from what i know with customers and friends that have had brigs they are not necessarily the strongest of boats.... you would probably be better off with an avon
He drives a fiat - its safe to assume quality is not high on his agenda
Old 10 December 2009, 16:10   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
You want to be careful what you say Polly, or you'll be waking up with a horse's head in your bed.
Old 10 December 2009, 16:34   #32
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Fix It Again Tony

James
Old 11 December 2009, 07:59   #33

someone who thinks fiat quality is still poor, lives in the past

but where getting offtopic.

9D280, you are right. The trailer would be to light to activate the brakes. The panda could handle 400KG unbraked. So i think i have to look voor a trailer without brakes, and stay underneath the 350-375KG

im not formiliar with he quality of Brig. But whit today eurpopian standards in cant be that bad. I like Avon to, but did not find any dealer yet here in the netherlands
Old 11 December 2009, 09:26   #34

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Yamaha
Dude ofcourse are there Avon dealers in the Netherlands..... they make boats... not brig "boats". The quality of brig boats is definitely less than Avon... but you can see that in the price i guess. I see you live in Deventer, you are not often ribbing at sea? Than a brig may be a good choice but it the brig wont live long.. An Avon is after 15-20 years still in good condition. You can trow away the brig in 5-10 years...

But you have to chose for yourself...If I where you I bought an new Avon searider 4.0 with an 50hp yamaha.. But i think you first have to learn ribbing with a fast rib... It is totally different compared to a direct hand- motor steering system. (in Dutch we call it a "knuppelbesturing") And it is a lot faster than youre small sib.

http://www.avonmarine.nl/network/index.html
Old 11 December 2009, 14:22   #35

I did find some avon dealers yes, but no pricelist yet. I cant believe that the quality of brig would be as low that you can trow away your boat after several years. But is agree, Avon looks like strong boats.

Im would not often (maybe never) take the rib to sea. I sail a lot more on the river (ijsel) and lake's. I know i have to learn "ribbing" first. That's why i dont want a super fast boat (25HP) max.