Old 18 June 2008, 17:44   #1

Town: Anchorage
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 40
Buying a Searider

I'm looking to buy this searider. It's 150 miles away so haven't actually looked at it yet.
This is what the owner emailed me about it:
"It's a 3 meter or 3 point something meter. I think it was made in the mid 80's . There are 3 setions of pontoons, and they all hold and keep air. The valves don't leak, and there aren't any holes that I'm aware of. There is one small patch on the top of one pontoon that was there when I bought it. ( I am the second owner of the boat).
The trailer should be just fine. I don't recall when I had the bearing repacked last. The boat was sitting, tarped for a few years - so the trailer hasn't had much use."

I've never heard of a 3+ meter searider, the smallest i heard is 4 meter. And this one looks like an early 4 meter model.
How does the small drain work without the elephant trunk (not the big hole, I know what that one is for)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	searider1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	35622   Click image for larger version

Name:	searider2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	35623   Click image for larger version

Name:	searider3.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	35624   Click image for larger version

Name:	searider4.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	35625  
Old 18 June 2008, 18:16   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Definitely looks as a 3.80 or 4.0 Rib
Old 18 June 2008, 21:15   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
It's an early SR4 that superficially looks in pretty good condition and the small drain has an expanding plug for when the boat is out of the water.

Take a look here for what to have a good look at on it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 16:36   #4

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Def looks like an Avon SR4.
Would have to say the seats are not original, they were more like cars seats. The ones in thses pic look like school or cafe seats.

The SR4 has a flooding hull, so water "floods" in when she is a a stand still.
In the back of the boat if a small drain hole and it should have, as mentiond, an expanding plug that fits in, do not remove this if the boat is in the water and not moving. I did and the water pressure is such that its like "old faithful" shooting up in the air!.

Having said that if te money right they are a dam fine sea boat. Ours has an old 30hp Evinrude on her and we had 33mph out of her this weekend.

This has the one bit mine is missing and that is the windshield.

Cheers
Old 19 June 2008, 17:56   #5

Town: Anchorage
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Yamaha 40
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.
Got more info from the current owner. It's and 1984 SR4. Going to go take a look at it tonight and probably buy it. She wants $2,000 for it. From the pictures the tubes appear to be in pretty good condition considering its 24 years old. I'll probably try to bring the price down a little due to the age of it.
I guess from the link in one of the above posts the main thing to look at other than the tubes is the transom? Should I try to remove the upper metal strip that goes on top of the transom and take a look what's underneath?
I have a Yamaha 40 two stroke long shaft (I'm assuming SR4 transom takes a long shaft hopefully) that I'm going to put on it.

So there is no way to easily drain the deck while in the water? Has this caused problems to current SR4 owners?
Old 19 June 2008, 20:14   #6

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
HI i have just been looking through an old avon brochure, and the sr4 will take up to a 50 hp long shaft engine takes 4 persons seated and a total of 6 persons ,the 4 seat version weighs approx 350 Ibls or 166 kgs and is13ft 4ins long with a 5 ft 10 ins beam, if it has 3 inflation valves its a sr4 , it also gives a rough idea about speed with a 40hp and 1 person will give approx 34 mph and 3 persons approx 25 mph , if you need any more info let me know ,looking at your pics the boat looks ok hope you get a deal, regards martin .
Old 19 June 2008, 20:39   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I have an even older version (late 70's I think) version of the boat your looking at. There are no drain holes in the transom above the deck level as standard. If there is a hole drilled in your transom, its a modification and will need an elephants trunk fitting.
I'm not referring to the large drain hole in the stern of the boat below deck level.
The hole and bung everyone is referring to is just before the transom in the deck. Its very efficient at filling the boat with water if you forget the bung
I have a bilge pump fitted to mine....and having stuffed it a few times, am contemplating fitting a trunk bailer now.
Good luck with it...they are awesome little ribs.
Old 19 June 2008, 22:52   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.
Got more info from the current owner. It's and 1984 SR4. Going to go take a look at it tonight and probably buy it. She wants $2,000 for it. From the pictures the tubes appear to be in pretty good condition considering its 24 years old. I'll probably try to bring the price down a little due to the age of it.
I guess from the link in one of the above posts the main thing to look at other than the tubes is the transom? Should I try to remove the upper metal strip that goes on top of the transom and take a look what's underneath?
I have a Yamaha 40 two stroke long shaft (I'm assuming SR4 transom takes a long shaft hopefully) that I'm going to put on it.

So there is no way to easily drain the deck while in the water? Has this caused problems to current SR4 owners?

Get a big bilge pump (1500gph or more) to clear water if you don't want to drill big holes in the transom-and maybe fit a small diameter trunk over the drain hole too.
See if you can take out one of the bolts from the transom to look for water rather than take the top ally strip off-though you'll probably have to remove it to reseal it if you buy it anyway.
It's not worth $2000 without an engine.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote