RIBase
Poly, we more or less agree, but the OP did ask:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeerib1994 View Post
what u guys think??
& he got a variety of answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
IF they are chinese, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole no matter how cheap it is. Just my opinion.
I did qualify that statement with a big IF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm hoping that the OP will be able to read between the lines and see that the only person who has actually examined one closely says this brand does not appear to fall into that category! But don't let that stop all the other people who have never seen an XPro from saying they must be rubbish because we think they are made in China. Its not like there aren't some shocking things in both the cheap and expensive ends of the UK market...
Agreed, having been on the rough end of quality issues from a UK "Quality" builder. However, having seen first hand examples of Chinese build quality(IF indeed Xpro are Chinese, we haven't established that for a fact yet) in Kerny & Hadds previous forays, I'd say the quality issues experienced by UK built boats from respected manfs. are tiny by comparison. If I had 18 grand burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldn't be sending it east
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2012, 14:13   #22

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:

If I had 18 grand burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldn't be sending it east
West it is then, all together now...

Old 05 September 2012, 14:39   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
West it is then, all together now...

Too much time on your hands you council wallers.

Any news from the west on your engine
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 05 September 2012, 14:55   #24

RIBase
Quote:
Too much time on your hands you council wallers.

Any news from the west on your engine
Do keep up PD

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/broken-...e-50493-4.html
Old 05 September 2012, 18:40   #25

RIBase
Just found this post by xpro ribs http://www.rib.net/forum/f64/hello-f...ibs-44970.html
Old 06 September 2012, 18:41   #26

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
what u guys think??
this guy thinks its a good bit of subliminal advertising
Old 06 September 2012, 20:42   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
this guy thinks its a good bit of subliminal advertising
shot himself in the foot then Poly might go for it though
Old 06 September 2012, 20:52   #28

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus

I would agree with Pikey,Chinese RIB's I've SEEN have been very low Quality,and for 18K there are some great options second hand,which may well serve you better in the long run. Especialy with VAT at 20%(On new) and alot of people not doing many hours in thier boats.
Either way I'd advise you take your time and have a good look at alot of different makes... there are plenty out there with a Proven track record.
You weren't complaining about those Chinese ribs you had last week max

But I agree with Pikey my experience of stuff made in china it's all crap
Old 06 September 2012, 21:52   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Poly might go for it though
Oh no, even if I was in the market for a new boat right now I wouldn't be buying from an "unknown brand". If for some crazy reason I had 18k burning a whole in my pocket I'd be looking at something totally different, and second hand. HOWEVER if I wanted a new boat that size for that money I'd be inclined to talk to one of the people I posted earlier who are at the high volume / budget end of the market. Because I believe the known names will hold their value better. The country of origin would not be my concern, the fact the company will still be there to support me in 1, 2, 3, 5 yrs time and that when I come to sell the buyer will know what he is getting will be. There is a huge hurdle for any new rib manufacturer (whether building in this country or importing) to get over to obtain the required market traction to be accepted; I certainly wouldn't want to be an early adopted with my own money unless I was getting a massive bargain to compensate. I just found it amusing that everyone jumped on the "Chinese Ribs are crap" bandwagon; and the one guy who's seen one contradicted all that and everyone ignored it!
Old 01 October 2012, 13:42   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: MALTA
Engine: Mercury 115 EFI 4S
I can understand making a generalisation about RIBs that are made in China.....especially the NE region which seems to be the epicentre of the lower quality boats.

I'm based in Malta so we don't really get the UK brands, Zodiac is a popular brand along with the various Italian RIBs but lately the market has been flooded with various Made in China RIBs.

As I'm in the market for a 6m boat, I've been going around to have good look and this has included checking out the RIBs that are made in China...perhaps I can give some insight/info.

Brand Name: Maxxon, distributed in Europe by Wassersport H. Bonnke GmbH
China Manufacturer: Sun Selections Co. Ltd http://www.sunselections.com/

I was looking at the Maxxon 580 which has a good open layout, it's around 5.9m overall, and has 60cm PVC tubes. Quality is as expected from a boat that seels for around £5525 for a pretty bare boat, console only, nothing else like fuel tank, shower etc.

Brand Name: MAGNUS Ribs / also found as same boat but unbranded
China Manufacturer: Qingdao Lian Ya Boat Co., Ltd

I was looking at their HYP580 or possibly a variant of it. It had everything even the battery box and battery, cables, steering, shower, fresh water tank etc and this particular person was selling it for £7600 incl trailer. The boat has a very low freeboard and the finishing left an awful lot to be desired. Tubes were PVC

Also came across Aqualand RIBs, made by Qingdao Sea-Land Industries Co.,Ltd
www.aqualandboats.com but haven't gone to view the boat yet, it's a 580C if I'm not mistaken.

Brand Name: Deltabay
Manufacturer: Deltabay Boats www.deltabayboats.com

This was the last boat I saw (Model 635) and the difference in quality was immediately visible. Granted this boat had Hypalon tubes, but the quality of the GRP, Gelcoat and fittings stood out by miles when compared to the other boats. I did some research online and found that this manufacturer is located relatively close to Hong Kong. I was told (but could be hearsay) that Deltabay used to manufacture some models for BWA of Italy and that have been making RIBs for a while that are sold all over the world.

I ran over the boat very carefully because I’d already seen BWA and Capelli RIBs whilst doing my research and the build quality and components appeared to be pretty equal. I looked at the quality of the wiring; switch panels etc and as mentioned above, these guys appear to be way ahead of the other Chinese boat builders.

All the boats have planning pads, the Deltabay 635 seems to have a pretty substantial one at the transom (perhaps 20cm), and the pad starts from the console positioned amidships.

Some Italian RIBs appear to be suffering in terms of build quality or indeed as mentioned about some UK builders perhaps are also offshoring their work overseas to Far East plants. Capelli are now made in Tunisia, which considering their price is somewhat surprising.

I stand to be corrected but I believe Valiant are no longer produced in the UK and Brunswick own plants in Poland, and I believe the Eastern Block. I saw a Valiant 550 Comfort with Arimar listed as the builder, so that model is definitely made in Italy.

Could it be that someone like Deltabay, albeit a China based boat manufacturer, may in fact be offering a product of decent quality?
Old 01 October 2012, 15:10   #31
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
When did the Oct/Nov issue of PowerBoat&RIB mag get issued? Only got mine at the weekend and I see the OP pictures are on page 63, had a good write up.
Old 01 October 2012, 15:48   #32

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Seems to me that China is capable of building to the worst and best standards. The problem is western companies wanting to buy it for peanuts hence the build quality will be poor. If they went in with a better spec and price, the Chinese are quite capable of making it. I believe that a lot of the problem is having someone there keeping an eye on the quality control. It is not realistic to simply whitewash all things Chinese as being crap.
Old 01 October 2012, 15:59   #33

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I'm going to be controversial .....so hang on ....

I'm not sure that the 'tag' of 'cheap & low quality Chinese goods' can always be applied.... I feel sure they are catching up on the quality and design side very very quickly indeed.

I'm not disageeing that for this sort of money there are not more reputable/capable 2nd hand boats out there . Just look at a RC 585 for example £18k will but you alot of 2nd hand kit....

I think most Iphones/pads are made in China as an example ?

I'll get my coat
I was also thinking that you might be better off going down the 2nd hand route, especially if you may want a bigger boat in the future, £18k could get a decent 2nd hand option thats tried and tested.
Old 01 October 2012, 19:37   #34

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Just looked at a pair of top of the range Salomon Walking boots , goretex and the most expensive they make , label inside says made in china .
I would bet no one here owns a car boat bike or whatever without something on it being made in china .
Old 01 October 2012, 19:47   #35

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Just looked at a pair of top of the range Salomon Walking boots , goretex and the most expensive they make , label inside says made in china .
& they aren't what they used to be Loads of crap about hiding behind "Quality" labels. Berghaus, Merrel, Salomon, Timberland to name a few. Last Berghaus boots I had fell apart after 6 months. We've sold our souls <== edited by mods ==> & it's payback time
Old 01 October 2012, 19:58   #36

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
& they aren't what they used to be Loads of crap about hiding behind "Quality" labels. Berghaus, Merrel, Salomon, Timberland to name a few. Last Berghaus boots I had fell apart after 6 months. We've sold our souls <== edited by mods ==> & it's payback time
You could have a point there , the salomon boots are my daughters and she hates them , My lovely comfy scarpas are still made in italy.

Bought the salomons from a pikey stall at Goose fair last year , so didn't pay even a third of the price on net
Old 01 October 2012, 19:59   #37
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Bought the salomons from a pikey stall at Goose fair last year , so didn't pay even a third of the price on net
A steal then.
Old 01 October 2012, 20:16   #38

RIBase
Quote:
You could have a point there , the salomon boots are my daughters and she hates them , My lovely comfy scarpas are still made in italy.
Just traded my worn out Scarpas for Zamberlans, still hand made in Italy. Altberg make hiking boots in the UK, based in Richmond North Yorks.
Sorry to the OP for the thread drift
Old 01 October 2012, 20:26   #39

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave
Just traded my worn out Scarpas for Zamberlans, still hand made in Italy. Altberg make hiking boots in the UK, based in Richmond North Yorks.
Sorry to the OP for the thread drift
+1 for Zamberlans had some for years and get my work boots from the good old USA
Old 02 October 2012, 05:41   #40

RIBase
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
A steal then.
That is a slur upon our travelling community, the implication that they continually steal, could be construed as borderline racist. Could it not?

Where's the man with the red pen? (am I allowed to say red?)

Tags
rib