Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26 February 2013, 11:58   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 435
Business use of rib...

A company I work for have employed me for a months work in the Thames estuary working from a large lifting barge which will be 2 miles (ish) out of Ramsgate.

We've worked out of there before and used a very large awkward and slow tug for coming in and out from the barge which has been left offshore.

This time we're all planning on staying on the barge while the job is carried out, but would be handy to have a rib for nipping in and out occasionally for supplies and in case there was a minor accident and someone had to be taken ashore for treatment.

I'd like to volunteer my rib for this purpose. Its a 5.8m tornado viking..

Would I need to get the rib chartered if it was to be used in this context and if so is it even possible for this vessel as it only has seat for the helm due to the size of it. Its rigged for diving and for leisure use divers just sit on the tubes which is standard practise.

Thanks in advance for any clarification

diver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 12:09   #2
Dhf's Avatar
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,008
Sounds a similar config to my rib, I would imagine you'd need code'ing if you intend charging for the use of your rib, but not if your just simply using it as your form of transport to work.

Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 13:44   #3
RIBnet admin team
Poly's Avatar
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,413
I would think it possibly does need covered. My understand in coding applies to any vessel used AT SEA unless it is excluded. Pleasure vessels are excluded - but are defined as, "is used only for the sport or pleasure of the owner or the immediate family or friends of the owner".

Now 'at sea' also has a special definition - it means outside categorised waters. Is 2 miles off ramsgate categorised? Is that still within the are covered by the PLA? or other Harbour Authorities because they may have their own bylaws.

If a rib is genuinely needed because of a foreseeable risk then your employer should be providing one.
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 08:47   #4
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 435
Sorry in my first post I meant coded, not chartered. Must have been half asleep when I wrote that.

So in effect you're answering yes it should be coded, I would obviously be asking them for money for having it there.

Next question - how difficult would it be to get a viking tornado coded?

It has a backup engine with separate fuel supply, but does not have very clear separation of fuel tank (built in stainless tank in console) from electrics (also in console), tubes hold good pressure but I suspect the baffles might not be so good, and finally it only has a single seat..

would this be a non-starter regarding coding?
diver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 11:13   #5
Trade member
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 821
should fail if baffles are no good
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 14:52   #6
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,139
A local area licence would be easy enough to get if there is a local authority who can issue one.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 16:09   #7
Country: UK - England
Town: Hull, East Yorkshire
Boat name: Hull Uni One
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 117
Coding requirements are detailed in the MCA document MGN280.
If you're going less than 3 miles then cat 6 coding should be fine.
Dry_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 16:35   #8
Doug Stormforce's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,031
Yes the boat could be coded.

Step one is to ascertain which level of code you want (see MGN 280), the lowest level (cat 6) will allow you to RIB three miles from your Nominated Departure Point by day in favourable weather. Each level of the code (6 through to 0) has slightly different requirements and requires the skipper to hold higher qualifications.

web -
email -
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:54.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.