Old 27 May 2013, 00:22   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Building anchor locker zodiac 733 ??

So I am considering building an on deck anchor locker for my zodiac. Currently there is no good place to store the anchor. There is a large forward compartment that has an aluminum hatch but it opens the wrong way and there is no place for the rope to run.

I mocked this up with some cardboard. I think I'd push it forward a few inches. I was also thinking about leaving it open in the front towards the post but want a flip up top that you can sit or stand on. It will be plywood and fiberglass.

I have the large tow post but I'm not sure what part, if any, that plays in anchoring. There were a couple cleats on the deck behind the post that I have removed to paint again not sure if I need them back.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-510773852.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	80481   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1787125559.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	80482  

Old 27 May 2013, 01:16   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Jason, I'm interested to hear what you come up with. I currently have my anchor/chain/line in a milk carton. When I'm diving or surfing, I leave the crate on deck lashed to the two cleats. If I have no plans on anchoring, I put it down below (where it then slides back and is hard to reach).

Are you thinking of keeping the deck and just building a box on top? With bolt on tubes, how high can you go and how much volume can you get in there? (The bolt line being the height limitation) Or, would you put a hole in the deck to increase the volume and install a bulkhead to separate the anchor/rode from the large storage area? If you were to build the box right up to the edge of the aluminum hatch, can you reinstall the hatch the other way (opening aft) so that you can maximize the anchor locker?

Except for lashing the milk crate down, I've never used the two cleats for anything. I always tie off my anchor to the sampson post.

Old 27 May 2013, 11:00   #3

It doesn't look like I can move the hatch back any significant amount. The structure below will get in the way.

I'm sure I could punch into the deck and do something super fancy and creative but, unfortunately, thanks not me. I guess in essence I am looking to build a fancy milk crate.

It turns out there isn't all that much space there that's why I'm thinking about leaving the front open to the Samson post. Then the anchor could protrude up that way.

Jason
Old 27 May 2013, 17:53   #4
ncp

Here was my set up today. In a perfect world, I'd move the Freeman hatch aft for dry storage, and create a slightly raised anchor locker separated by a bulkhead.
Old 27 May 2013, 17:54   #5
ncp

Name:	ForumRunner_20130527_145351.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	80584
Old 27 May 2013, 21:01   #6

Yeah. There isn't room to move the hatch back.

I hadn't thought about space for bolting the tubes on. Duh. The holes are tapped over for painting.

So here is a 9lb delta, 20+' of chain and probably 150' of 1/2" line? I need a slightly bigger anchor but it should fit. I think I will leave it open to the post so have a back, sides, and top. Ill take the sides up towards the post and same with the top. Should make a nice seat when not in use.

I will just bolt it on, no need to build it in. We'll leave the super fancy rebuilds to Ryan :-)

I want to move it forward as much as possible so the hatch has room to flip open. Also don't want to make it bigger than it needs to.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2112082393.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	80598   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3891520807.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	80599  
Old 28 May 2013, 12:20   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Bolt-in box would allow access to the tube fixings if needed. Keep the post and use that as the anchor tie-off. Looks to me that a box the size of your cardboard mock-up would store a decent amount of rode and any anchor you'd need to use, assuming your access into the box allows it to fit through.

If you''re like me (roundabout way of saying that this is what I do) you'll have a spare set of ground tackle and a ton of spare line (tow rope, allegedly) in the under-deck storage.

jky
Old 29 May 2013, 07:49   #8

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Pegasus
Make: Zodiac Pro 530
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I made a bolt on fiberglass locker for my 530, although didn't have the samson post to deal with or an existing deck hatch. I'll try to remember to stick a photo or two on this evening.

Phil M
Old 29 May 2013, 20:00   #9

that would be great!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03 June 2013, 19:25   #10
ncp

Scroll forward from here in this album:
RIBnet Forums - ericmx29's Album: photos - Picture

Bolt it in using the holes from the cleats that you took off. By being removable, there's no height limitation due to where the tubes bolt on.

I'm thinking this is a really good option, and if done well, will look seamless, and be sturdy. I'm no expert in glassing but I think that I might have to add this to my list.