Old 24 July 2014, 20:49   #1

Town: Amsterdam
Boat name: Lol
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
Brig 570 cracked transom

hi all,

I am new to ribbing and to his forum. I know the subject of cracked transoms are tackled somewhere, but I can't find them.

I have a question some more experienced members may be able to help me with.

I bought a 2012 brig 570 from a brig dealer in the Netherlands 2 months ago. Boat is equipped with yamaha f100, well below maximum rec. power.

All of a sudden cracks appear on port and starboard transom, upside. Wind was only 2 bft, limited waves. If I move the engine up and down by hand the cracks become wider and visibly flex.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Is this as serious as it looks? Can the boat + engine still be transported on a trailer (need to drive 1000km home from vacation).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Albert
Old 24 July 2014, 20:52   #2

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
photo will be needed to get a proper answer
Old 24 July 2014, 20:56   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Are they structural cracks (i.e. into the structural material the transom is built up out of), or spider cracks in the gel coat?

The former would be a problem, the latter not so much.

jky
Old 24 July 2014, 21:17   #4

Thx for reactions

Thx for your replies.
I did add pictures, but apparently they don't show. I will add them again tomorrow.

I think the cracks are structural: moving the engine makes them wider, looks pretty structural to me....?

Albert
Old 24 July 2014, 21:30   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Sounds terminal to me, money back time, take it back to the dealer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 21:35   #6

do not tow it anywhere until you can either upload pics or speak to your dealer to get agreement you can drive it. ideally i'd take the engine off if possible if you need to drive home.

it may even have been the 1000km drive that caused the damage-assuming you drove 1000km with the boat already.

do you have any pics of how you transport the boat? do you strap the engine in anyway?

cheers
Old 24 July 2014, 21:45   #7

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
do not tow it anywhere until you can either upload pics or speak to your dealer to get agreement you can drive it. ideally i'd take the engine off if possible if you need to drive home.

it may even have been the 1000km drive that caused the damage-assuming you drove 1000km with the boat already.

do you have any pics of how you transport the boat? do you strap the engine in anyway?

cheers
Good points by Xk59D. Contact the dealer, if possible send him pics, let him decide what to do, other wise he might claim that the transport made it worse.
Old 24 July 2014, 22:40   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
If towing the boat cracked the transom, it was never fit to go into the water.

Forget any complicated explanations. If the transom can't stand up to the stress of the motor being on it while it's on a trailer, the motor won't be on it for long in any kind of sea.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 23:06   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownam View Post
I am new to ribbing and to his forum. I know the subject of cracked transoms are tackled somewhere, but I can't find them.
there are various threads but here are some of the classics:
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/question...ighlight=crack
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/cracked-...ighlight=crack
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/transom-...?highlight=FYM
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/transom-...air-56427.html
Quote:
If I move the engine up and down by hand the cracks become wider and visibly flex.

Quote:
Is this as serious as it looks?
probably
Quote:
Can the boat + engine still be transported on a trailer (need to drive 1000km home from vacation).
it can probably be made safe to transport - but potentially the engine is now the most valuable bit of your boat, so I'd be looking at options that protect the engine (and as others say remove any suggestion that you've made it worse). The bad news is Brig don't have the greatest respect round here, so I'm not sure anyone is expecting you to get great aftersales support.
Old 25 July 2014, 04:05   #10

Thank you very much for your replies and support.

The engine (yamaha) has a transport support lever, which should be lowered when transported. According to the dealer this is sufficient. The cracks appeared well after transport.

I have added a picture now, I hope this works.

I will take the boat also to a local repair shop (in france) specialized in RIBS and have them review the hull before using or driving it home.

The (maybe related) strange thing is that the hull also has a lot of water (several liters) in it after each day trip, and (very maybe related) if I open the lockers with access to the inner hull I can smell a bit aceton like odor.

In any case, this is serious enough not to take my family boating again before I get a professional opinion.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Albert
Old 25 July 2014, 07:12   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Thank you very much for your replies and support.

The engine (yamaha) has a transport support lever, which should be lowered when transported. According to the dealer this is sufficient. The cracks appeared well after transport.

I have added a picture now, I hope this works.

I will take the boat also to a local repair shop (in france) specialized in RIBS and have them review the hull before using or driving it home.

The (maybe related) strange thing is that the hull also has a lot of water (several liters) in it after each day trip, and (very maybe related) if I open the lockers with access to the inner hull I can smell a bit aceton like odor.

In any case, this is serious enough not to take my family boating again before I get a professional opinion.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Albert
The Acetone smell is normal on new GRP products, especially from enclosed compartments, that's the least of your problems.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 25 July 2014, 07:16   #12

Nice to know this may be contained to one issue..
Again thanks for the quick reply. Maybe one day I can return the favour to you or somebody else...
Old 25 July 2014, 07:43   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Nice to know this may be contained to one issue..
Again thanks for the quick reply. Maybe one day I can return the favour to you or somebody else...

You're welcome, where in France are you ?

.....sh1t happens.......
Old 25 July 2014, 08:07   #14

La croix valmer, 5 km east of st tropez. Very nice place actually....
Old 25 July 2014, 17:19   #15

Spoke to the dealer: opinion is that I can continue to use the boat and trailer it back home. Repair is slotted free of charge for the day after arrival. I understand there is some disappointment on brig after sales service, but so far this dealer is outstanding.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I will finalise this item after repairs (or earlier if things do not go as planned) for others with similar issues.

Albert
Old 25 July 2014, 19:51   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Spoke to the dealer: opinion is that I can continue to use the boat and trailer it back home. Repair is slotted free of charge for the day after arrival. I understand there is some disappointment on brig after sales service, but so far this dealer is outstanding.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I will finalise this item after repairs (or earlier if things do not go as planned) for others with similar issues.

Albert
It's your call, but if it was me & the boat was brand new, I wouldn't accept a repair. A failed transom is pretty major repair & I wouldn't have confidence in it. If it fails again in the future after the warranty expires, you are faced with a major repair bill. As I said, it's your call/boat/money
Old 25 July 2014, 20:36   #17
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's your call, but if it was me & the boat was brand new, I wouldn't accept a repair. A failed transom is pretty major repair & I wouldn't have confidence in it. If it fails again in the future after the warranty expires, you are faced with a major repair bill. As I said, it's your call/boat/money
My thoughts also, and I'd be concerned about taking my family out in it too given the OP's description of the flexing
Old 27 July 2014, 11:21   #18

Just to be clear Boat is from 2012, from a dealer but not brand new. Under Dutch law there is no way to "just give it back", the seller always has a right to repair. So I am afraid repair is my best bet.

In the meantime I have take the boat for another test ride: holds steady, cracks are not getting bigger, so I am comfortable the thing will last if I don't push it (weather and sea state are modest here)

I will make an update after repairs and subsequent test ride.

Albert
Old 27 July 2014, 14:00   #19

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
If the dealer it telling you it is ok to use , you should get that in writing before continuing use. If the cracks are opening and closing that sounds pretty serious .
Best of luck In getting it resolved.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 15:49   #20

Town: near Kiel, baltic sea
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Tohatsu 30 4-stroke
Quote:
Just to be clear Boat is from 2012, from a dealer but not brand new. Under Dutch law there is no way to "just give it back", the seller always has a right to repair. So I am afraid repair is my best bet.
In the meantime I have take the boat for another test ride: holds steady, cracks are not getting bigger, so I am comfortable the thing will last if I don't push it (weather and sea state are modest here)
I will make an update after repairs and subsequent test ride.
Albert
Hi Albert,

if the law is the same than in germany, the dealer has 3 chances so repair, to solve that damage, before you can give it back if not solved. I think, that a well done handmade "repair" could leave the transom better and stronger as new.

It´s a shame, not able to use that rib in south france after that long trip into your holidays.
So your dealer should leave a superwelldone repair on your brig.......and if you bring the law on it´s peak, he has to pay a rental rib during your
holiday´s, but not sure about that. I think if your dealer had notice about that before, he would have solved that problem before selling it to
someone, cause he know´s the law....about that.