Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 July 2014, 03:12   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,595
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownam View Post
Thank you very much for your replies and support.

The engine (yamaha) has a transport support lever, which should be lowered when transported. According to the dealer this is sufficient. The cracks appeared well after transport.

I have added a picture now, I hope this works.

I will take the boat also to a local repair shop (in france) specialized in RIBS and have them review the hull before using or driving it home.

The (maybe related) strange thing is that the hull also has a lot of water (several liters) in it after each day trip, and (very maybe related) if I open the lockers with access to the inner hull I can smell a bit aceton like odor.

In any case, this is serious enough not to take my family boating again before I get a professional opinion.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Albert
The Acetone smell is normal on new GRP products, especially from enclosed compartments, that's the least of your problems.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 03:16   #12
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Amsterdam
Boat name: Lol
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 10
Nice to know this may be contained to one issue..
Again thanks for the quick reply. Maybe one day I can return the favour to you or somebody else...
__________________

__________________
Unknownam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 03:43   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,595
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownam View Post
Nice to know this may be contained to one issue..
Again thanks for the quick reply. Maybe one day I can return the favour to you or somebody else...

You're welcome, where in France are you ?


.....sh1t happens.......
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 04:07   #14
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Amsterdam
Boat name: Lol
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 10
La croix valmer, 5 km east of st tropez. Very nice place actually....
__________________
Unknownam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 13:19   #15
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Amsterdam
Boat name: Lol
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 10
Spoke to the dealer: opinion is that I can continue to use the boat and trailer it back home. Repair is slotted free of charge for the day after arrival. I understand there is some disappointment on brig after sales service, but so far this dealer is outstanding.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I will finalise this item after repairs (or earlier if things do not go as planned) for others with similar issues.

Albert
__________________
Unknownam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 15:51   #16
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,595
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownam View Post
Spoke to the dealer: opinion is that I can continue to use the boat and trailer it back home. Repair is slotted free of charge for the day after arrival. I understand there is some disappointment on brig after sales service, but so far this dealer is outstanding.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I will finalise this item after repairs (or earlier if things do not go as planned) for others with similar issues.

Albert
It's your call, but if it was me & the boat was brand new, I wouldn't accept a repair. A failed transom is pretty major repair & I wouldn't have confidence in it. If it fails again in the future after the warranty expires, you are faced with a major repair bill. As I said, it's your call/boat/money
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 16:36   #17
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's your call, but if it was me & the boat was brand new, I wouldn't accept a repair. A failed transom is pretty major repair & I wouldn't have confidence in it. If it fails again in the future after the warranty expires, you are faced with a major repair bill. As I said, it's your call/boat/money
My thoughts also, and I'd be concerned about taking my family out in it too given the OP's description of the flexing
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 07:21   #18
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Amsterdam
Boat name: Lol
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 10
Just to be clear Boat is from 2012, from a dealer but not brand new. Under Dutch law there is no way to "just give it back", the seller always has a right to repair. So I am afraid repair is my best bet.

In the meantime I have take the boat for another test ride: holds steady, cracks are not getting bigger, so I am comfortable the thing will last if I don't push it (weather and sea state are modest here)

I will make an update after repairs and subsequent test ride.

Albert
__________________
Unknownam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 10:00   #19
Member
 
cgoing's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 572
If the dealer it telling you it is ok to use , you should get that in writing before continuing use. If the cracks are opening and closing that sounds pretty serious .
Best of luck In getting it resolved.
__________________
Chris Going
DinghyPro
chris@dinghypro.net
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 11:49   #20
Member
 
palsteg's Avatar
 
Country: Germany
Town: near Kiel, baltic sea
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30 4-stroke
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownam View Post
Just to be clear Boat is from 2012, from a dealer but not brand new. Under Dutch law there is no way to "just give it back", the seller always has a right to repair. So I am afraid repair is my best bet.
In the meantime I have take the boat for another test ride: holds steady, cracks are not getting bigger, so I am comfortable the thing will last if I don't push it (weather and sea state are modest here)
I will make an update after repairs and subsequent test ride.
Albert
Hi Albert,

if the law is the same than in germany, the dealer has 3 chances so repair, to solve that damage, before you can give it back if not solved. I think, that a well done handmade "repair" could leave the transom better and stronger as new.

It´s a shame, not able to use that rib in south france after that long trip into your holidays.
So your dealer should leave a superwelldone repair on your brig.......and if you bring the law on it´s peak, he has to pay a rental rib during your
holiday´s, but not sure about that. I think if your dealer had notice about that before, he would have solved that problem before selling it to
someone, cause he know´s the law....about that.
__________________

__________________
palsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.