Old 17 January 2003, 14:47   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
DRINKING & BOATING

A brief note curtecy of our old friend Flanker!!

Breath tests for yachtsmen

As expected, the Railways and Transport Safety Bill promised by the Government before the last election will extend the breathalyser regime not only to professional seamen, but also to the skippers of private craft.

In response to Government Consultation, the RYA said that alcohol abuse at sea in private craft was not a problem that had been noted by any of the authorities, and that there appeared to be no case for introducing a regime that could target moored or anchored craft, or those on passage offshore. We did acknowledge there could be a case for covering certain harbour, beach or river areas where drunken navigation may be a problem, and where alcohol by-laws have been existence for many years.

The Bill, published in January, appears to have taken some of these concerns into account. While it does not exclude private craft from its remit, it distinguishes between professionals and non-professionals. Non-professional masters will only be subject to testing while a vessel is 'under way'. The Bill also reserves the details of what size or power of craft will be affected, and in what locations, to regulations to be made later by the Shipping Minister.

Edmund Whelan, Head of Legal and Government Affairs at the RYA said:-

"While the RYA strongly deprecates the abuse of alcohol afloat, Government figures tell us that 90% of our adult population enjoys alcohol, and, in our view, regulations affecting all private craft in all locations would have been unacceptable.

Although the details of the regulations have yet to be discussed, we are pleased that the Government has taken our concerns on board. We were particularly worried that the skippers of craft safely moored or anchored could be summoned on deck and breath-tested arbitrarily, and that craft on passage well offshore could be boarded by police or other officials for the same reason.

The exclusion of craft not under way is to be welcomed, and we are clearly to be given the opportunity of putting our case to the Shipping Minister that only certain sizes or power of craft in the 'hot spots' of harbours, beach areas and rivers need to be included in the regulations."

Motor Boats Monthly, 16 January 2003
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2003, 10:09   #2

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
Yet another case of Blairs "Nanny State"!
Old 18 January 2003, 11:26   #3

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
dbillyboy

With all due respect I STRONGLY disagree with you.
This law applies in Europe for the last 15-20 years (I think).
This an EEC regulation and I think that they VERY CORRECT in insisiting on that.
Afterall DRINKING IS NOT EVERYTHING and there are only a few countries where the calture decatates that is a manly thing when one gets drank, pissed and vomits allover the place .
To have a good time is one thing but to get into a right state (as described above) is UNFORGIVABLE and shows that people are not mature and their menatlity
I rest my case!!
Old 18 January 2003, 11:59   #4

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
No Manos, we have a nanny state government here and the sooner they are all eliminated the better!!
TLS.
Old 18 January 2003, 12:24   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Bloody hell Manos, that does not say much for me and my crew Alan P
Old 18 January 2003, 12:27   #6

dbillyboy

I know what you are saying. I live in the UK don't forget.
I have also sailed and motored in the UK also (as well as to many other countries) and I think that complete de-regulation is not a good thing.
If for example a jet skier was circling my boat when moored near the beach endangering the life of my children and mine because we were in the sea swimming (and I was for example in Spain, France, Italy or Greece) and reported it to the police or the Coast Guard he would have arrested him and his jet ski, confiscated it and he would had to pay over 1000 Euros fine.
However, who blinks and eye in the UK??
Old 18 January 2003, 12:30   #7

Alan P

LOLOLOL Didn't mean it to be that harsh LOLOLOL
I was just trying to make a STRONG point that we all should be responssible at sea as well as everywhere else which I think you will agree with.
Old 18 January 2003, 12:36   #8

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
A bloke i know got done twice for being in charge of a push byke and being intoxicated.

He is a bit of a no hope a
Old 18 January 2003, 17:47   #9
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Re: dbillyboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos

If for example a jet skier was circling my boat when moored near the beach endangering the life of my children and mine because we were in the sea swimming (and I was for example in Spain, France, Italy or Greece) and reported it to the police or the Coast Guard he would have arrested him and his jet ski, confiscated it and he would had to pay over 1000 Euros fine.
However, who blinks and eye in the UK??
I don't know about the rest of the UK, but in the solent area if you report "boats" acting dangerously the coastguard, police or life guards will have a word/move them on. I have no idea what, if any, grounds they have for prosecution, but I’m sure the police must be able to do something about people putting lives at risk.
Old 18 January 2003, 18:41   #10

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
If anybody thinks takeing exessive alkahol on a boat is ok,go into your little front cuddy and get your charts out and do a bit of plotting and see how you feel at sea.

Dont mind a few at anchore but to try and drive a power boat at the same time is bonkers.The police can do something and the coastguard and the local harbour master.The local court depending where you are at the time and local rag and MCA will throw the book at you,as its so unusual for it to happen here.

Old 20 January 2003, 09:19   #11

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
The problems come when it is the harbour authority / water men that are drinking and then working on the water. I know of at least 1 commercial ferry driver who was drinking and then operating boats with paying passengers on board. This is a shocking state of affairs and I completely back this regulation to the hilt. On the other hand is drinking a if you have a sober skipper a problem. If not what about yachts on moorings or at anchor. or a booze cruise. could go over the top or could be good. I suspect that where you are in the country will play a large part in how well enforced the regulation will be.
No drunks on boats =
but no moderated amount of red wine =