Click Here to Login

Old 06 August 2004, 16:35   #1

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
breaking RIBs... and of course the best storage idea ever....

Who else here is finding that boats and engines especially outbards should never meet and should infact be stored not used and that way you can never have the problem of breaking down or getting frustrated with those nice fuel guzzlers..
I ften wonder whilst going past a marina why all those nice sunseekers never seem to move.. Maybve the people that own them like a flating caravan.. I however like using boats but as of later have found that they tend to be more hazzle than they are worth.. as for mechanics.. you find a god one they won't give you a date to do the work.. you find a bad one they charge a fortune to 'fix' what wasn't broken!!

I have had to wat 13 months for my first trip out in my boat.. finaly i thought this s gonna be excellent..435 hp running through a large waterjet.. yes I came off smiling who wouldn't...however to go faster than 7 knots would have been nice.. almost there just some tweaking then we shoud hit 40 knots.. and as for all those ittle weedy outbard boats.. hopefully the big diesel will plod on happily all day...

My bsiness partner has had 4 boats out of 4 for chartering go wrong this season.. through no fault of his own.. I hate outboards.. I know another £12000 engine (outbard mariner optimax) that died too.. 9 months old 225Hp.. so what are we to do..miss the summer paddling around in a kayak.. Or heaven forbid.. by something with a bit of string and canvas.... I think not.. we shall just plod on tryin to get a day out in a boat that works..

So who else would like to have a big undercover strage shed for RIBs with a launching service provided.. I want to buy a tractor to launch boats... If we can find 20 boats who maybe willing to pay £1000-£1500 a year to stre their boat in the dry with worshp facilities and a wealth of experience to help when it inevitably goes wrong then why not.. reply to this.. such a shed would cost about £18000 to rent... so 20 boats allows us a small maintenance sum whilst allowing you the customer full faciliteis test tanks and a tractor to launch with.. or be launched for a small fee... you turn up you start up and you head out... you come back go home and your boat is recovered cleaned dried out and put t bed under a nice dry roof..
A simple idea.. I know of one person who keeps a 5.5m RIB in a bat park on the Hamble and pays £1800 to have the privelidge of keeping it in the rain.. and having to tral down from london and launch it himself.. then t pay £0.99 a litre for petrol off one of thse nice Hamble fuel pontoons... so why not take the hassle out of boating.. we only need 20 people and this becomes a reality...

Names below....
Old 08 August 2004, 07:46   #2

Town: North Wales
Boat name: VosPower 115
Make: Pacific 22
Hi Badbaws

Sorry to hear about your jet powered problems. May I enquire what engine you are using for 435Hp. I am still considering a unit for my ex RN prototype Pacific 22 with Vospower Jet capable of taking up to 500 horses I believe.
Is there anything I might learn from your 7 Knot experience?

Thanks

Pacman
Old 08 August 2004, 08:26   #3

still not working...

Hi Pacman..
We have a V8 Catepillar diesel.. pumps out a heathy amount of HP.. but unlike running a Volvo or similar engine is hardly stressed as is not really tuned that highy at all..
In terms of engine for a Pac 22 we use them on the ships I work on and they have gone over to jet.. I don't recall them having 500HP... but tthat would make them more interesting.. The jet Pacs we use do about 35 knots max.. better than the old 26.5 of their prop friends...
Good sea boats the Pacs.. I decided slightly too slow for what I need though...
The only thing I can say about our 7 knt trial is.. Just because you send something to a proffessional company doesn't neccessarily mean it gets fixed... A certain company at Hamble who did a lot of work on the engine when we first got the boat told us twice that the vibration was from faulty injectors... we have therefore been through 2 sets of injectors 8 injectors at £60.. when infact the problem was the drive plate between the jet drive and the engine.. we know this because when we disconnected the jet drive.. it ran very smooth no vibration... They then send us a £5000 bill.... so you can imagine what we had to say... not to mention when we disputed it they came along with a HIAB and stole our 1.5 tonne engine from next to the boat in a 'secure' boat yard...
So would I reccommend that company... no.... all those on the Hamble beware....
just for reference... that company is EPS...oh yes don't get any of their mechanics to work on the side... they are even more useless then....
Alex
Old 08 August 2004, 08:55   #4
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Thats the best JOKE I have ever heard,

'FAULTY INJECTOR or 's , CAUSES VIBRATION'

Is company related to the Muppet Show ?.
Old 08 August 2004, 12:54   #5

EPS is the muppet show....
You go to these 'experts' and they have not got a clue.. so if anyone knows a catepillar engineer who knows the difference between an injector and a drive plate.. please let me know!!!
Old 08 August 2004, 17:26   #6

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Glad to hear you've got bugle billy running again, I watched it it at Drivers Wharf looking forlorn for quite some time.
Old 09 August 2004, 14:19   #7

Yeah was looking sad for itself.. as while we were buying injectors we should have been getting a drive plate.. thanks to those nice helpful people at EPS...

We have had it up to 24 knots.. just waiting to get the 40 knot barrier now...
Lot of time and money gone into getting it ready..So hopefully soon will be...
Old 11 August 2004, 10:06   #8

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Inside storage sounds like an interesting idea for a load of reasons, do you have a site in mind?
Old 11 August 2004, 20:44   #9

No site yet.. as not got enough interest.. have one or two in mind though...
Most people with 6.5m RIBs and smaller don't really wanna pay to have them stored.. so leaves finding lots of big RIBs... and there aren't that many around..