Old 26 February 2008, 12:34   #21

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Thanks for all the advice.

After making a quick phone call to check my trailer would be covered I opted for Brittania Rescue. Saved £24 to get the same benefits as International Breakdown and got free CSMA membership. Without the CSMA membership it wouldn't have been worth switching.

Although I will say the CSMA signing up process and Breakdown joining process is a bit airy fairy. I know I'm now a member of CSMA but I'm not too sure about the recovery bit yet as I've had no confirmation yet. Might need to chase that up tomorrow.

NR.
Old 26 February 2008, 13:02   #22

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i took out european cover via rac and got 15 months for the price of 12, i also joined the camping club and this gave me the option to take out a higher level of cover with the rac that will cover vehicles over 7m and trailers over 7m. apparently it is the only way to get that type of coverage from the RAC

i think it cost me around 150-170 quid (with caravan club membership as well) in all but that is for commercial coverage all across europe for a 8.5m motorhome and a 8.5m trailer

and i was most lucky to be able to use it last year so can say it works

care is needed over trailer length, problems with trailer only ie bearings, tow vehicle length, vehicle and trailer widths etc

hope that helps
Old 21 March 2008, 14:52   #23

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Length: 3m +
Engine: Flippin Fast
RAC Recovery

Planned to go down to Pwllheli today 21.03.08 for the maiden launch of my new rib but the s**t weather has scuppered that plan.

So, through sheer boredom decided to check my RAC cover for boat and trailer and below is what I found.

I currently have RAC Solution 3: which includes Roadside assistance, Recovery, and At home assistance. Last years premium was £93.10 with a 30% no call out discount (however as previously stated in this thread the RAC did recover my mates boat when we lost a wheel, and my discount has remaind unchanged, perhaps those nice guys at the RAC forgot ). This years premium is a fantastic £81.60

I rang the RAC today and explained I have progressed from towing a Jetski and trailer to a rib and trailer, and asked if I was still covered on my premium. The assistant put me hold while he made a check with is superiors, then came back to me and explained as long as the boat and trailer was less than 3.5 tonnes Gross Load, and did not exceed a maximum length of 7.6 mtrs then I was covered at no extra charge. I then asked if I would still be covered if I were to have a wheel bearing failure, and again he consulted his superiors and came back and said I would still be covered.
Considering my rib and trailer has a total length of 6.3 mtrs, with a maximum wheel width of 2 mtrs, and a Gross Load of 1000 kgs, I would say I was well within their stipulations.

The assistant did explain if their limitations were exceeded, this could easily be solved by joining the caravan club and taking out european cover obviously at an extra cost. So to all you guys that have larger ribs to tow and want piece of mind cover, I would have thought this is the way to go.

Maybe the moral of the story is stick with a reputable well known recovery firm, get your no claims discount behind you, and above all make sure your trailer is checked and maintained on a regular basis.