Wing, and I say that because I care.
Old 26 September 2012, 23:25   #22

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
must be something to do with anchoring off Fowey , lantic bay triangle , BOB knows about it too

It is a horrible feeling though , i remember a new boat i bought back in 2008 stopping with dead electrics by the breaklwater first time out on a windy day . Anchor wouldn't hold Caja burst into tears and there i was trying to find my way around a new boat .
Its easy to get more worried than is reasonable . I think that took the shine of that boat for good .
Old 27 September 2012, 07:08   #23

Town: fowey
Boat name: esprit
Make: non rib cap ferret
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 evinrude
All of the people who launch from fowey should exchange mobile numbers "just incase" i know it wouldnt have helped you this time but who knows in the future ? i would always help out if i got the call ... Carl
Old 27 September 2012, 07:14   #24

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Sea Start is well worth the money. Ian Austin is our local guy in Plymouth and his service is second to none. If you suffer a breakdown at sea having a Marine engineer on hand to assist is about as good as it gets

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 01 October 2012, 12:36   #25

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
By way of an update
Rob from Black Dog attended as promised and proved to 99% satisfaction it was indeed the high pressure fuel pump at fault (didn't always blow the fuse but it certainly wasn't working, no fuel pressure on fuel rail, quiet when ignition on etc) Rob took the old pump and ordered new one which arrived early next day, back at Black Dog he was able to apply power to the pump (once removed from the housing) and it only responded with a click, didn't run at all hence 100% it was at fault. New pump fitted, first turn of key and away she goes

However
(why I'm going to fess up to this with Smashie & Nicey listening in I'll never know but it might help someone)
Launch on Saturday (having run engine again on muffs beforehand) trickle out of harbour, boat up onto plane for 200 yards, then misfire, revs drop, then engine stops. Try to restart, turns over nicely but no firing, do usual things and find fuel bulb soft and empty (meanwhile and of relevance later get son to check killcord, neutral etc) no amount of squeezing bulb will prime it, check fuel in tank and yes plenty there (was begining to think it'd been nicked!) At about this time son reports Opti gauges have once again gone out and engine won't now turn over i.e. all power lost. 12v systems all working though and 12.4v showing on fish finder, I guessed that trying to restart with no fuel has blown the pump fuse, weak I know but couldn’t think what else could have happened. Anyway get back in (I’ll leave out the embarrassing bit about paddling and being towed) recover boat (won’t mention filling boots with water either because I had to get behind the Rib on the slip to tilt the engine manually)
Once ashore look in detail and can see that my water separating filter is empty of both water and petrol, when I first broke down last week I’d emptied the filter to check for debris/water (there was none ) and then reaching down into the console had closed the bleed valve, except of course I hadn’t closed it, I’d opened it fully! In my defence you can’t really see it very well in the console but as I screwed it in it stopped dripping petrol (course it did it was empty) no wonder the fuel bulb wouldn’t prime it was happily sucking air in! So valve closed by screwing it out fill filter with petrol pump bulb and system primed, change engine fuse and we’re ready to try again
However
Get boat back on slip trim engine down, go to start and –nothing, all power gone again, boat back up slip cowl off and same fuse blown, that’s without trying to start the engine this time, last spare fuse (thanks Rob)goes in, son touches trim button on throttle and pop, fuse gone. That’ll do for me as well so off home we go, ring Rob who advises that the routing in the wiring in the merc throttle control can cause problems with chaffing and seems like a good place to start so, disconnect trim tilt at engine end, replace fuse and she starts on the button no problem, last thing last night I start on the control box and find chaffing on the shroud that goes up into the throttle handle and lo and behold copper wire exposed on the blue/white cable inside, yep the trim/tilt one.
So yes I had a dud fuel pump which caused my initial breakdown but thrown into that was a second intermitent fault, the chaffed wire which played hell with my fault finding logic!
We, uh, won’t mention the fuel filter ‘issue'
Old 01 October 2012, 13:06   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
I love reading these. It's how you really learn.
Old 01 October 2012, 13:16   #27

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow Buoy View Post
So yes I had a dud fuel pump which caused my initial breakdown but thrown into that was a second intermitent fault, the chaffed wire which played hell with my fault finding logic!
Used to have a number of mind set 'rules' that I always preached to my guys back in the automotive engineering problem solving days ...

Rule 2: there's no such thing as single root cause
Old 01 October 2012, 17:59   #28

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Sorry to hear you woes KB, there was a beer waiting in Lerryn, shame you didn't get out.
Anyway somehow the tide seemed to be out all day so I had your beer. Didn't realise that you would have drunk so much!!!
Old 01 October 2012, 18:36   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow Buoy View Post
(why I'm going to fess up to this with Smashie & Nicey listening in I'll never know but it might help someone)
which one's which?
Old 01 October 2012, 18:41   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
which one's which?
I checked Wiki (I didn't know wtf Smashie and Nicey were):

"Nice was portrayed as more aggressive and angry than Smash, liking heavy rock and being very opinionated. In the 1994 TV special Smashie and Nicey: The End of an Era he was shown to be a misanthropic alcoholic, and of ambiguous sexuality. Later he was outed as gay, and in later years became more aggrieved and bigoted, complaining about immigrants."

So it looks like DHD is Smashie...
Old 01 October 2012, 20:04   #31

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
See you in the Morning for visit number 3!!!
Old 01 October 2012, 20:12   #32

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
may have been better to have it towed into Looe kernow
Old 01 October 2012, 20:27   #33

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I think someone's trying to tell you summat
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote