Old 18 February 2011, 07:15   #1

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Bow guard bolt on SR

Don't know is this the correct description but here a picture. One bolt is missing, and forgot to investigate further after taking the picture in November. Now on crutches and its was -23 C in the morning so trying to get the info an easier way than going out

Assume that there is no access for a nut so should there be a threaded plate laminated to the hull ? It looks like the bolt would goes through the tube(can't be?), or then its very short.

Hope someone here knows the details, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR bow.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	57131  
Old 18 February 2011, 09:14   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Don't know is this the correct description but here a picture. One bolt is missing, and forgot to investigate further after taking the picture in November. Now on crutches and its was -23 C in the morning so trying to get the info an easier way than going out

Assume that there is no access for a nut so should there be a threaded plate laminated to the hull ? It looks like the bolt would goes through the tube(can't be?), or then its very short.

Hope someone here knows the details, thanks.
it's possible that there is a domed nut on the underside of the tube, i would look inside the boat under the tube, the other way is to remove the bolt that is there and try it in the other side, it will tell you the length of the bolt and also if there is a captive nut inside the flange
Old 18 February 2011, 16:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
it's possible that there is a domed nut on the underside of the tube, i would look inside the boat under the tube, the other way is to remove the bolt that is there and try it in the other side, it will tell you the length of the bolt and also if there is a captive nut inside the flange
From inside of the boat pretty sure its a no go without removing tubes. Think have seen this question before here but can't find any related threads.
I don't dare to remove the other bolt if its only locked with a nut, might lose that one too. If no one here knows the original design, then just have to check with similar size bolt,
at least will know it there is something that will match the bolt or just a hole left.
Old 18 February 2011, 21:41   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
From inside of the boat pretty sure its a no go without removing tubes. Think have seen this question before here but can't find any related threads.
I don't dare to remove the other bolt if its only locked with a nut, might lose that one too. If no one here knows the original design, then just have to check with similar size bolt,
at least will know it there is something that will match the bolt or just a hole left.
I don't think it's a no-go without removing tubes, though I'm not sure what's under there. Henshaws put a wear strip under my reinforcement so there must be a way to do it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 22:10   #5

I did go out, its bloody freezing -25, and Baltic sea is soon covered with ice all the way north of Gotland, what global warming... No ribbing soon in these waters.

The guard was slightly off alignment so not possible to check without little more work. But biffer and Nos4r2, most likely You are both right. When tubes are inflated it sure looks like no access, but that might change when letting the air out. From the inside of the boat is the way to go. Will check when temp is above zero and report. Thanks.