Old 11 February 2007, 15:38   #1

Town: Torquay
Boat name: studoo
Make: Ribeye
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 4s 50 hp
Bow Cleat for Ribeye

Any advice please?
I'm preparing my PVC Ribeye 450 for the new season and want to bond a bow cleat to the bow (surprisingly)Have found suitable part on IBS website (tho not sure yet which of two they offer will suffice)
3 questions
1) One part or two part adhesive,what are relative merits of both?
2) Bond to bow when deflated and hope to be able to present the area of the tube flat and on a level surface so as to apply pressure when bonding.or bond inflated when bow is in operational shape but not able to apply pressure.
3) any other ideas as to suitable parts/methodology to achieve a cleat on the bow for my annchor warp.

Ribey 450 open tender, jockey console,yamaha 50 four stroke.My little toy and great fun, much more practical that the seedoo jetski I ran for a couple of years up to last season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00627.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	24882  

Old 11 February 2007, 16:01   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
fantastic looking boat!!

Old 11 February 2007, 16:03   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
what about taking to Henshaws in Wincanton, and get Chris hornidge (md)to look at it, he will probally do it there and then for you, at least it will be done properly with the right adhesive, !!
Old 11 February 2007, 17:59   #4

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
what about taking to Henshaws in Wincanton,
Why not take it down to Dartmouth - even closer to you than Henshaws. Then you can either get Ribeye themselves to do it for you, or talk to Paul Tilley at TIDEL. Either way Matt's comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
at least it will be done properly with the right adhesive, !!
is valid. From my experience with Paul he'll charge you a fair rate for excellent workmanship.

Andrew.
Old 12 February 2007, 03:38   #5

Bow Cleat

Thanks Guys,for the quick reply,I will certainly give Paul a ring ,however being a bit of a DIYer and an engineer to boot I may well have a go myself (if financially advantageous)

Any comments on the method please?
STUART
Old 12 February 2007, 05:04   #6

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
2 part glue as its much stronger.

I have limited experiance of gluing things onto tubes. In the past I've always done it with the tube pumped up nice and hard then used straps/weights/take to hold the item down til the glue has set. You might be better off waiting for the weather to warm up unless you have a garage you can work in as doing it in the cold and wet isn't idea.
Old 12 February 2007, 05:33   #7

Bow Cleat

Thanks for that Tim
OK so its 2 part then,yep I have a garage I can warm up a litttle but will wait until later next month to do it for the reason you mention.
Still a bit to do yet,put the grarbox back on the Yammy (having replaced water pump impeller) put a couple of hatches in the front of console to enable access to electrics and controls.and finish of mainteneane to the trailer. That should keep me busy until then.

BTW and for general info to any one thinking about wheel bearings!. have previously fitted Bearing Savers to my wheel hubs having gone thro a number of sets of bearings (mainly due I believe to the amount of time the trailer can be in the water when I launch/recover as I tend to do it alone) These seem to be great,used them for a few launches last season and NO water entered the bearings,have popped a little grease in them once over the winter to re-presurise and seem fine so far.
Old 12 February 2007, 05:56   #8

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Looks great in your pic - Big-up the 4m+ Ribeye's!!!

great RIB's! had mine since June and love it.

Can't offer any advice on sticking stuff to the tubes I'm afraid but I have stuck quite a lot to the hull - trim tabs, a-frames backrests etc
here's mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIBEYE21.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24903  
Old 12 February 2007, 11:42   #9

Bow cleat

Yo wavecrosschriss I see you
Great looking rib yes us ribeyers need to big up the make

Where did you source your backrest,was it from Ribeye?
I have drawn my own and had some quotes best is from a local ss fabricator for around 130 plus vat - may go for it when I have the other projects completed.
btw I see you have a bowcleat/roller ,is that also a Ribeye fit as not standard on my model?

Regards

Stuart
Old 12 February 2007, 12:34   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbull2 View Post
BTW and for general info to any one thinking about wheel bearings!. have previously fitted Bearing Savers to my wheel hubs having gone thro a number of sets of bearings (mainly due I believe to the amount of time the trailer can be in the water when I launch/recover as I tend to do it alone) These seem to be great,used them for a few launches last season and NO water entered the bearings,have popped a little grease in them once over the winter to re-presurise and seem fine so far.
The bearing savers purpose is to create something of a reservoir for contracting grease. You are *not* trying to pressurize the grease in the bearings.

General tips: 1) Do not pump the bearing savers completely full. Near-full is about perfect. Any more and you risk inverting the rear grease seal, which will cause leaks. 2) Allow your hubs to cool for at least 15 minutes or so after you trailer to the ramp. Dunking warm bearings will cause a lot of grease contraction, which is what sucks water into the bearings (discounting the bearings and seals that are falling apart from lack of maintenance.) 3) Make sure your bearings are adjusted properly. Bearings that are too tight will run hot, causing similar problems to #2 above.

Bearings that are in good shape should be able to be dunkable for quite a while longer than it takes to launch a boat, without water ingress.

jky