Old 21 June 2011, 21:09   #1

Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
bought a boat!

my orig post: http://www.rib.net/forum/f64/new-learning-42095.html

After spending most of last week reading through 100s / 1000s of threads on this forum I realised that there was only one choice to keep any form of credibility, one boat which seems to transport the owners into a unique and special club...

... Avon Searider 4m ribs

so I bought one!

avon searider RIB boat inflatable 40hp mariner fishing on eBay (end time 21-Jun-11 13:28:27 BST)

It might or might not be the best purchase - but I think that it will work well for me - initial use will be at no more than 4kt on the Thames - partly to have a bit of fun with kids / canoes etc. - partly to give the kids an opportunity in safe waters to try a boat / rib...

then to the solent / elsewhere for something a little bit more fun...

no power trim, so open for advice on moving the boat to that (adding / swapping engine etc.)

any other thoughts / suggestions - would be very welcome...

hopefully the boat will work well for a season or two before buying something bigger...

Alasdair
Old 21 June 2011, 21:20   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Proper job.
Old 21 June 2011, 22:07   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Looks like a lot of fun!

Now, how many shares in gaffer tape would sir be requiring?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 22:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Looks like a lot of fun!

Now, how many shares in gaffer tape would sir be requiring?
Thank you - my stock levels of gaffer tape are high - I own a 14yr old RR and a 50yr old LR

Alasdair
Old 22 June 2011, 08:09   #5

Town: Porthtowan
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp Outboard
Looks good I must admit I was quite tempted by that one but it was to far away.

Let us know how you get on with it!
Old 22 June 2011, 08:17   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by akirk View Post

no power trim, so open for advice on moving the boat to that (adding / swapping engine etc.)

any other thoughts / suggestions - would be very welcome...

hopefully the boat will work well for a season or two before buying something bigger...

Alasdair
Hi Alasdair,

Looks like a good buy for the money.

I wouldn't worry about the power trim - she'll fly as she is. I've got a 30 on mine and it will still plane wit 4 adults and 4 small people on board.

Might be a bit prone to oiling up used on the Thames at 4 knots though. Will need the occasional "blip" to clear it.

Looks like it's a "Deluxe" model originally with back to back seating and the moulded transom stiffeners. A previous Owner has cut away the original bow dodger and steering mounts and fitted the centre console and rear bench.

Enjoy :-)
Old 22 June 2011, 08:21   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Thank you - my stock levels of gaffer tape are high - I own a 14yr old RR and a 50yr old LR Alasdair
Then an old Avon sea rider will compliment Sirs choice of motor vehicle perfectly

Don't change the engine this season, just add water and enjoy. Then think about it during the winter if you really need to and the bargins start to appear.

The lads will advise if they think you need power trim on it, but to be honest I would just go ahead and use it.

Pete
Old 22 June 2011, 08:22   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Cool. Nice looking boat.

I suspect that to PT that engine you may need to replace it. Having said that, if you got its serial number, the thing to do is look at the online microfiches. First step is to find out of that engine ever carried PT, and if so do a comparison of the clamp & swivel assemblies of the manual & power trim versions. If they are the same it may be a "simple" case of swapping your tilt assist ram for a powered one.

If that vintage of 40 didn't have PT as an option, do a comparison of the clamp / swivel with the next size or so up of a similar vintage. You'd be anmazed how many of the "below powerhead" parts carry across multiple engines.
Old 22 June 2011, 09:01   #9

Thank you all for the kind words and advice - very much looking forward to collecting it next Tuesday.

I am sure that while it will 'cruise at 4kts' on the Thames the occasional blip for safety reasons might be encountered and fully intend to play on the solent as well as my godson lives in Exbury...

good to hear ref. power trim - I am no expert on ribs - most of my nautical experience has been a 16ft cruiser on the thames with a 7hp engine that struggled to get to 4kts! and lots of sailing - so I assumed that power trim was the way to go - if it works well without it, then I see no need to spend money / have hassle changing it...

will let you know how it goes - hopefully with some photos!

thank you

Alasdair
Old 22 June 2011, 09:11   #10

You wil llikely find on the SR4 that you'll be a fair few holes "out" on the trim - My Suz was two holes in from "full up / out".
Old 22 June 2011, 09:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
You wil llikely find on the SR4 that you'll be a fair few holes "out" on the trim - My Suz was two holes in from "full up / out".
Can I apologise and admit that I don't understand this sorry - am sure that it is just my lack of knowledge - but what is the implication?

Alasdair
Old 22 June 2011, 15:31   #12

No worries, I momentarily forgot you haven't even seen it yet! You were taliking about converting to power trim, so I guessed your engine is manual, this is about adjusting the trim manually.

If you have manual trim, there is a long pin somewhere at the bottom of your clamps that has a selection of holes to put it in. It is what the leg etc rests against when it's in the "run" position. the SR4 has a slightly raked transom, so if you have the pin in the "bottom" hole, the engine is trimmed "fully down". Likewise if the pin is in the "top" hole it is as far out as it will go.

Full down will give heavy steering and won't be wonderfully fuel efficient. Full up and the prop will "let go" at the slightest provocation. Somewhere in the middle is the optimum for your boat. Previous owner may have it set up correctly, but alwways worth a wee experiment for your loading & driving style. (previous owner may have had three large friends & their diving kit aboard kind of thing......)

The trick is to move it up hole at a time until the prop starts to let go in fast corners. then drop it back down one. Trim is now as optimal as it's going to get.
Old 22 June 2011, 16:09   #13

Quote:
No worries, I momentarily forgot you haven't even seen it yet! You were taliking about converting to power trim, so I guessed your engine is manual, this is about adjusting the trim manually.

If you have manual trim, there is a long pin somewhere at the bottom of your clamps that has a selection of holes to put it in. It is what the leg etc rests against when it's in the "run" position. the SR4 has a slightly raked transom, so if you have the pin in the "bottom" hole, the engine is trimmed "fully down". Likewise if the pin is in the "top" hole it is as far out as it will go.

Full down will give heavy steering and won't be wonderfully fuel efficient. Full up and the prop will "let go" at the slightest provocation. Somewhere in the middle is the optimum for your boat. Previous owner may have it set up correctly, but alwways worth a wee experiment for your loading & driving style. (previous owner may have had three large friends & their diving kit aboard kind of thing......)

The trick is to move it up hole at a time until the prop starts to let go in fast corners. then drop it back down one. Trim is now as optimal as it's going to get.

Awesome - makes sense - thank you so much for taking the time to explain...

only ribs I have driven have had power trim - so not familiar with this - but will play with it...

Alasdair
Old 22 June 2011, 21:29   #14

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Trixie
Make: Scorpion 8.5m
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
I still own and use on occasion a 1978 4M Searider... they are bomb proof and easily repairable... epic craft
Old 23 June 2011, 08:01   #15

Quote:
only ribs I have driven have had power trim - so not familiar with this - but will play with it...
Think of it like power trim, but you can't adjust on the move and you get your hands wet while adjusting it!
Old 23 June 2011, 08:13   #16

Quote:
Think of it like power trim, but you can't adjust on the move and you get your hands wet while adjusting it!
It sounds like the pin I had on my 7hp engine on the thames cruiser - for up or down (nothing inbetween) - used to regularly fall into the river when being adjusted

will play!

Alasdair
Old 23 June 2011, 08:19   #17

Town: Telford
Boat name: ?
Make: Searider
dont worry about PT, my engine is a 45 hp 1972 penta, dont need PT, just play as mentioned with the "holes" and you will find one that does. welcome to the SR4 club
Old 23 June 2011, 09:00   #18

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Unless you are doing a lot of beach hopping then I think you will be OK with out PTT, I have it & would not be with out it as my SR4 is used as a taxi to the beach most of it's time! My brother in law dose not have it & fineds it a right pain to have to keep going back to raise the leg!
Have fun & enjoy the summer as peter has said you then have all winter to do any mods!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 10:47   #19

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Think its OK without, but on the other hand, You would be surprised how much it changes the handling of the boat when You have PTT. Did Yesterday a 60 nm trip in the 5.4 in pretty nasty chop, half way in following sea and then back. PTT made a huge difference in the comfort and speed.

Weight in the stern and trimmed out worked extremely well in the following seas(only 2 mini stufs ), going back home moved spare fuel to the bow and played with the trim taking bow down, finding the hot spot improved the ride a lot. Can be made manually but but not so fun to do.

But its not something You can't live without so would not spend a fortune for having it on a old setup.
Old 23 June 2011, 11:14   #20

Thank you - wise words - but I guess as an intro to ribs I can live without for now - if necessary, will strap a few kids to the bouncy bits and shift them around to trim the boat - gaffer tape should do the job!

Alasdair