Old 12 July 2016, 07:19   #11

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
You may have too much glue in their which is never a good thing. The other issue that can cause difficulty in repairing is material
Degradation. If the material discolored and getting stiff or tacky then it is starting to break down and will typically not bond well.

www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2016, 10:00   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudlet View Post
Wow, you can reheat the glue and it will still work afterwards?
Yes, it's a regular practice if you coat the material and get called away for longer than normal (like days.) Some also add a wipe with solvent, but just heat works as well.

Quote:
Then, yes, I will definitely try this option first as I know I got plenty of glue in where the bubbles formed.
It's simpler, and if it doesn't work, you're out a couple of hours but not much labor.

As cgoing mentioned, too much glue is as bad as not enough. For PVC, the glue melts the fabric surface and welds to it. You need just enough surface adhesive to allow the two layers (one on each repair piece) to stick to each other; a barely perceptible layer should do fine.

jky

Old 12 July 2016, 14:06   #13

Town: Redmond
Boat name: Tender
Make: Brig
Engine: 25HP
Hmmm. I don't think I got too much in there, but now you have me worried. Assuming I originally used too much glue, is there a chance that by heating the glue back up I could make things worse? For example, could the reactivated glue start eating away at the PVC?
Old 14 July 2016, 10:00   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudlet View Post
Hmmm. I don't think I got too much in there, but now you have me worried. Assuming I originally used too much glue, is there a chance that by heating the glue back up I could make things worse? For example, could the reactivated glue start eating away at the PVC?
I doubt it. It's the solvent in the adhesive that softens the PVC for the bond. Once that flashes off and you apply heat, you're just softening the remaining adhesive so it will stick to itself (or in this case, the adhesive on the other piece.)

jky