Old 20 February 2017, 09:05   #1

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Length: 5m +
Engine: suzuki70 df
Bombard opinion

Hi
Some chance i can get bombard explorer 5 m used from uk instead of china boat.
Any feedbacks about this boat? Not comoared to china boat but high standard comparison. Does it have the deep v hull?any comments?

Actually i know one for fishing department here 5.5 m with 60 hp.looks good. But offer for me is 5 meter but probably have same hull design and beam, only length difference.
Sameh
Old 20 February 2017, 21:01   #2

Town: Adelaide
Boat name: No Name
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Mercury 90
I owned a Bombard 5m Explorer for many years (some photos are on this site). It is best described as a medium V which is deeper than other Bombards but shallower than a similar sized Humber or Ribcraft. It is a very stable boat at sea because the tubes sit on the water which makes it a good platform for fishing or diving. The limitation is that the front can feel very light going into a sea and headwind. Getting someone to sit in the bow is a good solution but you may find they object. The boats are well finished. They have no under-deck access and limited storage unless you add a bow locker.
Old 21 February 2017, 03:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth9702 View Post
I owned a Bombard 5m Explorer for many years (some photos are on this site). It is best described as a medium V which is deeper than other Bombards but shallower than a similar sized Humber or Ribcraft. It is a very stable boat at sea because the tubes sit on the water which makes it a good platform for fishing or diving. The limitation is that the front can feel very light going into a sea and headwind. Getting someone to sit in the bow is a good solution but you may find they object. The boats are well finished. They have no under-deck access and limited storage unless you add a bow locker.
Many thanks gareth
Were was your cosole location? At front?
Outboard hp? Max speed?

I Read also about being light at front and youtube clips show that.
Maybe i should think wisely about weight distribution, sending console to the first third of the length or having extra seat close to bow..
Anyway, i will have a hybrid bombard/xs rib, where used bombard hull is refurbished at barnet marine and having new name of xs rib. I doupt performance would be different from original complete bombard.
I will have suzuki 70hp 4st mounted which is the maximum for that boat but been advised it is o.k. and the boat will handle that. One point of concern is weight of suzuki is about 150 kg, 1.5 liter (about 30 kgs more than 0.9 liter 60 hp boats) so it may be powerful but will probably make bow feel even lighter!

So maybe it shuold be again weight dispersal wisely? I wouldnot want to think for going on smaller outboard block/hp.
Old 23 February 2017, 01:40   #4

Town: Adelaide
Boat name: No Name
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Mercury 90
My Bombard had a Mercury 60hp two stroke with a single seat jockey console mounted centrally. I probably contributed to the light front by having a 75 liter deck-mounted fuel tank at the back of the boat. The maximum speed was 35 mph according to the speedometer. I never checked this against the gps.
Old 23 February 2017, 02:11   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Make sure the model you choose has a mechanically fastened tube with a bolt rope. Tubes will not last long in your area due to UV.

Some tubes are glued in place, some utilize the zodiac pro "bolt rope" system.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 07:58   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Make sure the model you choose has a mechanically fastened tube with a bolt rope. Tubes will not last long in your area due to UV.

Or store it indoors for the 300 days a year it is not being used.

If you are back looking at the UK, Bombards are on the radar, and you still need to achieve a tight budget, have you considered what people here tend to do with those restrictions?

Buy a SIB...? If that becomes a consideration then also look at the Fribs. I'd say either would be better than a flat bottomed boat from an unknown maker. You'd gain by being able to have it shipped to you on pallets. You could prolong life by packing it up out the sun during long period of non-use.
Old 23 February 2017, 12:04   #7

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
plus 1 on the F-Rib. I love my 360 and they also go to bigger sizes too that may suit you better Sameh
Old 23 February 2017, 12:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post

Dont know about xs ribs tube fastening system, probably gluing?
As a matter of fact i know only about zodiac with tubes being done that way.who else?
It is easier for sure to fix, but boat would be covered and on trailer all time it is not in use so hopefully tubes will last long..
Old 23 February 2017, 12:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Or store it indoors for the 300 days a year it is not being used.

If you are back looking at the UK, Bombards are on the radar, and you still need to achieve a tight budget, have you considered what people here tend to do with those restrictions?

Buy a SIB...? If that becomes a consideration then also look at the Fribs. I'd say either would be better than a flat bottomed boat from an unknown maker. You'd gain by being able to have it shipped to you on pallets. You could prolong life by packing it up out the sun during long period of non-use.
I need only regular rib..no sib no folding..
What did you mean about bombard on radar and tight budget? Didnot get you here...
Old 23 February 2017, 12:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by warder54 View Post
plus 1 on the F-Rib. I love my 360 and they also go to bigger sizes too that may suit you better Sameh
Thanks but i need only regular rib.
Aluminum hull is other option but still no f-rib[emoji6]
Old 23 February 2017, 12:43   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I need only regular rib..no sib no folding..
why?
Quote:
What did you mean about bombard on radar and tight budget? Didnot get you here...
I was suggesting if you were looking at 2nd hand bombard RIBS with a retube, then you could be looking at some of the Bombard (or indeed other) big SIBS brand new for less money.
Old 23 February 2017, 12:55   #12

Quote:
why?

I was suggesting if you were looking at 2nd hand bombard RIBS with a retube, then you could be looking at some of the Bombard (or indeed other) big SIBS brand new for less money.
Why: i have a 3.8 m sib. Need something bigger, stronger with consoles and seats. If not possible uk rib then other alternatives..but still have to be regular rib.
F-rib have no much information about but just dont like the idea..sounds something less robust than rib. Any frib 5 meters exist?
Old 23 February 2017, 13:55   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Why: i have a 3.8 m sib. Need something bigger, stronger with consoles and seats. If not possible uk rib then other alternatives..but still have to be regular rib.
F-rib have no much information about but just dont like the idea..sounds something less robust than rib. Any frib 5 meters exist?
There is a frib 4.6m. there are also big sibs like the quicksilver 5.3.

I have console and jockey seats so am not join to tell you they are bad. I am just trying to find you practical solutions.
Old 23 February 2017, 13:57   #14

Quote:
There is a frib 4.6m. there are also big sibs like the quicksilver 5.3.

I have console and jockey seats so am not join to tell you they are bad. I am just trying to find you practical solutions.
Appreciate it[emoji106]