Click Here to Login

Old 22 June 2010, 15:44   #1

Town: Victoria
Boat name: Further
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50hp 4 strk Yamaha
Bombard Explorer 485 locker drains+intro

Hi all, new to the RIB game. Experienced Canuk boater from British Columbia's west coast. I picked up a Bombard 485 Explorer a few months ago and am breaking the wife in slowly. 50hp Yammy 4 stroke.

One thing that seems (to me) to be glaringly wrong is locker drain system. I did a search and found a few items regarding lockers and draining, but not for this boat in particular.

I am not sure if someone drilled the drain holes in the lockers, or some engineer thought it might be a great idea to compromise the sealed compartments. Am I missing something? I didn’t get the manual with it, so I can’t tell what’s the norm and the website sucks for support.

I had had the boat out dry and she goes quite nicely. It sat in the rain the next week and I ran again the next weekend. I didn’t get the nose high enough during transport or launch to drain her and the added weight made the thing run like a slug.

Yes, there was some water in the rear well, but obvioulsy, there can be lot sitting inside the hull if one's not carefull. Got home and dumped a whack of water out; duh. As it stands now, I am going to find a bunch of plugs and seal things back up. I would rather sponge the lockers out after each trip.
Comments? Any ideas from you learned hull type guys would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Old 22 June 2010, 16:45   #2

Town: Richmond, B.C.
Boat name: ZAP
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70 HP Tohatsu
Welcome to the forum from another west coaster in Vancouver.
When I rebuilt my 480 Cherokee I sealed off all the build-in compartments and installed a bilge pump at the transom.
I keep my RIB in the garage when not in use and it takes on little or no water when I'm using it except if I'm diving but that water is just off my equipment.
Hope you get as much pleasure from your new RIB as I get from mine .. Safe boating.
Old 22 June 2010, 16:56   #3

Town: Richmond, B.C.
Boat name: ZAP
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70 HP Tohatsu
This is the thread covering the rebuild showing the changes I made if you are interested.
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...=Cherokee+4800
Old 22 June 2010, 20:14   #4

Town: Victoria
Boat name: Further
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50hp 4 strk Yamaha
nice job! I have friend with an 8m Polaris. What a boat. They would be on my list for work if I need any. I do have my baot in thecarport for now. Trying to re-org the shop to make dry storage space for the new toy. I am off later today after i mic up all of the holes to plugs-r-us to fill all of the hull breaches back in before this weekend's forrays!

Thanks, Rick