Old 18 September 2012, 06:21   #1
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Boatshow

Anyone got on feedback on the Boatshow? Attendance; exhibitors and visitors? New/innovative product launches for ribsters?
Old 18 September 2012, 06:45   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
I will let you know later today
Old 18 September 2012, 07:18   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
We went on Sunday, was a little smaller(again) than last year, and we felt not very busy for a Sunday compared to other years. Which of course was good as a punter.

Enjoyed it though, saw what we wanted to and did what we went for.

I'm back on Thursday without the family to meet some friends and spend some time on stuff the family isn't interested in.

Nasher.
Old 18 September 2012, 08:36   #4
Trade member

Town: UK
I'm heading there on Saturday....news report in Boating Business bears out Nasher's view about visitor numbers over the weekend but opening [trade announcements?] day was well attended, perhaps this is a reflection that the public/'nice day out' visitors are staying away?

Top-end of the [global] market seems to be alive n kicking according to the Sunseeker PR department... time will tell if it's a case of 'turnover is vanity - profit is sanity'
Old 18 September 2012, 16:48   #5

Town: Alderney
Went today as planned, it was very quiet but we picked the Tuesday as one of the quieter days.

Turnout of stands seemed good and all the old favourites were there.
Old 18 September 2012, 17:46   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Is it possible to arrive by sea ? I'm taking a rare day off work and want to combine it with a run out on the boat from Poole.
Old 18 September 2012, 17:51   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
Is it possible to arrive by sea ? I'm taking a rare day off work and want to combine it with a run out on the boat from Poole.
Yes but only if you moor at Town Quay alongside the red jet terminal and walk five mins- no mooring at show
Call Town Quay 02380 234397 to book a short stay
Old 18 September 2012, 18:29   #8
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I went there on Sunday afternoon and I did enjoy it but found we'd not really left enough time to get round the show.

Plus we used the Podium car park which shut at 5pm so I had to move the car and then go back in! I'm pretty sure it was on the show website as one of the official parking areas so it was a bit annoying!

There were some good chandlers on site but no real discounts were obvious with them. I suspect that given the internet competition its kinda hard to offer something special at the show now-a-days.

My major gripe was cost. I got in on a free ticket but my friends didn't and as a typical nuclear family I was taken back by the £80 cost to get in!

I'm fortunately not a family man but that did seem a tad expensive for a day out. We ended up getting our lunch from an on site concession and I expect a seriously impressive bacon roll for £4!

Surely the show should be much cheaper as its an opportunity for the exhibitors to demonstrate their wares and get sales?

That said I was welcomed on the stand by Topper, Ribcraft, Mercury and Barnet Marine with open arms. I was spoken to like a good friend, offered drinks, made some new contacts and it was a genuine pleasure to be there. Rest assured you will get my business again in the future!

Chris
Old 18 September 2012, 19:28   #9

Tried to visit by RIB on Saturday but was made to feel so unwelcome by 'marshals' who agressively told us to keep away that we did. A boat show that you can't visit by boat? Now at Monaco Yacht show and warm welcome and smiles.
Old 18 September 2012, 23:35   #10

Thanks, we'll head for the town quay then. Looking forward to it
Old 19 September 2012, 07:43   #11

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
We paid a visit on Sunday afternoon taking advantage of the post 3.30 discount and then spent the full day there Monday. Like others have said, it was comfortably busy and the usual selection of stalls. However, with the exception of clothing there was little in the way of discounted stock and many stands were sparsely filled with products. More of a trade show feel than somewhere to actually buy stuff. Still got a handful of bargains though and researched some equipment I'm thinking of getting.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2012, 07:58   #12

Town: Northampton
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp & 2hp
Did you notice if anyone had discount on training eg the PB2? I'm looking to Do this in the next few weeks, I'm going to the show on Sunday if there's no discounts at the show I will book up today instead so its done and I cab tick it off of my to do list!
Old 19 September 2012, 15:23   #13

Town: southampton
Length: 4m +
As a local person to the boat show i've past by it a few times this week.
I must say that from the outside it dose look very quiet this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribstore View Post
Top-end of the [global] market seems to be alive n kicking according to the Sunseeker PR department... time will tell if it's a case of 'turnover is vanity - profit is sanity'
The one thing that i always notice about the show is that as you drive into town every bill board is full of SunSeeker ad's.
Not a single one this year!
Old 19 September 2012, 15:46   #14

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
I went with my brother on Friday and got a few bits and pieces. Seemed very quiet but I thought that may have been because it was preview day.

Had a giggle on the pontoons when I was looking at the two ribs operated by the marines. One was trying to make a fast exit from alongside the pontoon, it would have looked a tad more impressive if it wasn't still tied on at the front. )
Old 19 September 2012, 17:13   #15

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
I spent today at the show. My first visit, was pretty impressed with the whole set up, definitely not as busy as I had expected though, which I suppose from a visitors point of view is a good thing!
Had a good look around some the ribs, nice to talk to redbay of course also had a good chat with the C Fury lads, actually went on a run on one of their boats and was really impressed, built like the proverbial tank, a cracker set up and dirt cheap to run. Drooled over some of the cobra and scorpion models and also looked at piranha ribs which I had never seen before. Plenty of ribs and sibs to see and all the main engine manufacturers on site. Opportunity also to go on a rib ride, saw several types of rib being used ribeye/xs etc
Didn't notice any real deals on chandlery or electronics, same prices as online. Looking for a few bits and bobs so going back for a few hours tomorrow.
Walked the pontoons of course eyeing up the big stuff, some seriously nice craft
Had a pint at the guiness bar, lots of eating drinking options-though nothing cheap!!!!
Its a long walk!! Good day out.
Old 20 September 2012, 17:38   #16

Town: Cowes
Boat name: No name
Make: None at present
I've not been for a few years but WOW - was it quiet!!!!
No bargains, some very bored looking exhibitors and certainly less there in terms of punters and stands. Trade contact indicated that if this is the level to be expected then Excel might be in deep trouble.

However doughnuts delighful and massive bargain on one stand with eight seys of roller coaster wheels plus mounting arms and washers plus new roller, ready to bolt on for £40!!!!! Only bargain there and I looked hard
Old 20 September 2012, 18:16   #17

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbryson75 View Post
Drooled over some of the cobra and SCORPION models.
For God sake don't let Tom know that or you will be excommunicated from the fold
Old 20 September 2012, 18:20   #18

My wife and I are going tomorrow with two pre-booked demos. I'm hoping it will be quiet
Old 20 September 2012, 19:02   #19

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Been working there this week, really quiet for the days i was working. People looking but not much money changing hands!!!
Old 20 September 2012, 19:20   #20

Went by rib, moored at Town Quay which was 2 mins walk as promised by rib net members, thanks. Mooring fee £8 for the day(arrived at 10am left at 6.30pm for Poole. The show did seem quiet but I overheard some negotiations on boats going on. I think if I was a business looking for the show to turn things around I'd be very worried but it is a good showcase for products/boats. Was impressed with the Brig boats. I love ribcraft but do feel their leisure boats look a little unglamourous next to some of the other brands. We lunched at the Tapas across the road and this was excellent.