Old 15 January 2004, 07:43   #41

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Brown
Looks like I should probably try getting onboard the boat from the transom..... not sure how easy it'll be with the a-frame in the correct position to knock me out just as I step up onto the engine though boats with the dory at work either into marina berths in gales or into the boat hoist.

-Alex
Alex step up using the engine and place your hands on the A frame pulling yourself into a position sitting on the tubes at the rear side of the transom. Next keeping hold swivel on your backside swinging your legs out over the ocean and around till they are inside the boat on the front side of the A frame.

I find this much easier than trying to get thru the gap between A frame , transom/engine.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2004, 10:57   #42

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
I like Dave M's pic there (nice angle between boats) - how do you find towing the larger rib with the little'n?
Thanks for that. No problems with handling provided it is set up right. We have put a couple of yachts around the thirty foot mark back onto their moorings after casualty services or as one guy this year after he had snapped his drive shaft and didn't want to risk sailing thru our congested drying moorings with an onshore wind. All ok provided you remember you are now driving a big boat and towing a rudder equipped boat when possible get the casualty to steer in unison with you. Loads of brownie points in the yacht club, not to mention a few pints or so!
The other problem the yotties have here is grounding on the mudbanks on a dropping tide. Use a rope from their masthead to the rib and use it to heel them over so that their keel frees whilst they drive for'ard with the engine-works a treat but you do have visions of ending up dangling from their mast as you take the power off!
Old 15 January 2004, 11:48   #43

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Quote:
Originally posted by wavelength
The other problem the yotties have here is grounding on the mudbanks on a dropping tide. Use a rope from their masthead to the rib and use it to heel them over so that their keel frees whilst they drive for'ard with the engine-works a treat but you do have visions of ending up dangling from their mast as you take the power off!
Yup, I had to do exactly that earlier on in the summer when a fin keeler got stuck on the shallows as the tide was dropping. Obviously bilge keelers this doesn't work so well

Towing sailing boats I find is easier than ribs, as you say, having them steer at the same time makes a lot of difference - it just takes a bit longer to stop the 8 ton + ones.....

-Alex
Old 15 January 2004, 12:31   #44
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by wavelength
. . . but you do have visions of ending up dangling from their mast as you take the power off!
That's actually a point well worth considering -- make sure that you can cast off in a hurry and don't rely on someone on bard the yacht releasing you.

Although you may not actually end up dangling, when the yacht unsticks and starts towing you backwards it certainly concentrates the mind!

John