Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 April 2005, 11:31   #1

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
boating in the arcachon basin

anybody know anything about this area ?

pilot books, charts, guides for launching, etc ?
Old 04 April 2005, 13:17   #2

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Fantastic part of france
Gets very very busy in the frog holiday season
Have never boated there but big tides and masses of sand banks in fact the biggest sand dunes in europe.
Massive area for oysters. just down the road at lacanau you have the largest fresh water lake in France (i think) water skiing etc.
Make sure you have all your docs ICC and a vat invoice for your boat etc.
One of my favorate places.
Roy
(forgive the spelling)
Old 04 April 2005, 13:50   #3

Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
thanks Roy

I went ribbing on the lakes there last year - but on a local's rib - it was excellent.

This year I've already planned to take my own down there.. I know how to manage the lakes , but I need to get specific info about the water (ie tides & depths) slips, etc...

I agree - this area is the most fantastic part of France - whyever people flock to the Med is beyond me.... and especially for me - as I have 2 teenage sons who are more interested in surfing, wakeboarding, girls etc - and they are quite happy to still come on holidays with their parents to this part of France..!!

Also - as far as I know the ICC is only a requirement for inland waterways in France (so I'll need it for the lakes at Biscarossse) - but is it required for the Arcachon basin ??

BTW - I've also heard that the Gulf de Morbihan (and the South Brittany coast in general) are also well worth ribbing....
Old 04 April 2005, 14:57   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
lc0021,
I understand (and Louise will swiftly correct me if I am wrong), that you require a CEVNI for inland waterways and your ICC for driving a boat (British registered only) on salt or freshwater.
Old 04 April 2005, 19:06   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Louise will swiftly correct me if I am wrong
Not tonight though, as she's on a secret mission, which VIPs like you, Brian, and Roy, will learn about very soon

You are of course correct!

I'm vagugely familiar with the Arcachon Basin and I don't think you will need CEVNI to enter.

Basic pilotage information is available in Reeds Nautical Almanac and I would strongly recommend that you have a copy of Reeds to hand before visiting (you already have a copy, yes?) The Arcachon section particularly warns of the dangers of attempting to enter the basin at night or SW-N winds (ie anything blowing on-shore!) The chartlet in Reeds also shows fairly complex sandbanks and shallow water at the entrance.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 April 2005, 23:04   #6

And chart: http://www.seachest.co.uk/acatalog/a2144.html
Old 15 April 2005, 23:06   #7

And check this out: http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...language_tools
Old 16 April 2005, 09:49   #8

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Spent last summers holidays there. Climbed europes biggest sand dune and got a very spectacular view of the entrance into the basin ! Hope your depth finder is working. My kids were in a sailing school on the lakes further down... ribbing world... flat water and lots of sunshine ! Enjoy it you lucky person !
Old 16 April 2005, 20:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
= My kids were in a sailing school on the lakes further down... ribbing world...
Yeah - I was down on the lakes myself last year - but didnt bring my own rib... Interestingly enough - my own kids did a sailing course with Rockley on one of the lakes in August, and I did a level 2 so I could apply for an ICC (but in the meantime the ISA changed the rules - but that's enough about that!) - the one operating from La Reserve campsite.. not a bad spot at all .... they also have a 'slip' for the lakes ... They enjoyed it so much we're off again this year - but bringing the rib this time....

Hey - the oldest are 16 and 17 - so I dont reckon they want to come on holidays with me for much longer - so it's great while it lasts!!

For anybody wanting to do a nice relaxed level 2 over 2 days - I'd strongly recommend it...
Old 16 April 2005, 21:09   #10

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Jeez Louis, the same site ! I have a major gripe with the ISA as well and have left them. My 15 year old wants to go back to rockley to do his junior coach course. As rory the tiger says roar roar roar !
Old 17 April 2005, 09:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
Jeez Louis, the same site ! I have a major gripe with the ISA as well and have left them. My 15 year old wants to go back to rockley to do his junior coach course. As rory the tiger says roar roar roar !
I've already made a 'blanket' booking with La Reserve for August... I have a long standing dream of taking a whole month off one summer - and this year I'm hoping to do it. My brother - who has one of the 'hard boats (5 or 6m Rinker) also has a booking and planned to bring his boat (and family!) down as well - not dure if he'll do it though...

So if you're there - just look for a 01 D galaxy and/or a blue/grey Avon Rib - or else just look out for a short fat Irish guy hanging round the bar...

were you planning to bring the rib ??

BTW - there's no way round the ISA ruling if you want an Irish ICC... unless you use an NI address... (which is tempting.....)