Old 28 June 2006, 16:46   #11
Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Ribcraft & Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suz F140,F6 & Yam F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
I am just coming out of a very successful and pleasurable Ribshare agreement with Bern Hanreck. We drafted an ownership agreement at the start of the partnership but we have never needed to use it.
If you are like minded people and agree to maintain the boat and be open and honest with each other it can be a success and cost saver.
The only reason I am pullng out is due to an imminent house move.
Bernie is looking for another parntner (advert in ribs for sale), if you are looking for a good boat and trustworthy partner, Bernie is your man.

JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 09:40   #12
Town: dartmouth, devon
Boat name: no boat
Length: 5m +
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
if you share with someone i would have thought you could get twice the boat for the same money or the same boat for half the money......does that make sense
yeah what ever, you know what i mean

rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 10:25   #13
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I had a boatshare arrangement for my first RIB. Three likeminded friends, equal shares on a new boat/used engine. (BWM DS21). It worked well and we never fell out. We had a master spreadsheet where we recorded maintenance/equipment expenses and every so often totted up who was ahead and who was behind in spending money and settled up. Running costs - fuel and two stroke primarily, were split between whoever was using the boat on the day.

Our arrangement was a little different insasmuch as my friends were less experienced boaters than I so effectively I ran the boat - arranged/carried out maintenance and servicing and they paid their share of the bills. I often ended up physically doing much of the work but I also used the boat far more than either of them. (I dont think they ever took the boat out without me!) so I effectively got most useage of a boat but only a third of the purchase/running costs (excl. fuel). Marriage/children/not being able to dive anymore meant that neither of them was able to use the boat as much as they envisiaged at the outset.

We sold up after 3-4 years and split the funds equally. No fallouts and still all great friends. I would recommend a statement of principles/agreement, particularly on cost sharing and who does what, but would have no hesitation on doing it again with the right people.

In fact I think at one time I tried to persuade JCW to buy a half share in Blue Ice but the size of the tow vehicle required was an issue. For anyone looking for a half share in a very tidy RIB in the Essex area I would suggest they talk to Bern about La Bamba. He's a thoroughly decent chap!
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 08:06   #14
Town: Lymington
Boat name: Myles Aweigh
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard Diesal
MMSI: 235018948
Any sample agreements

We are thinking of offering a half share for sale tas we don't use it enough which is a waste of such a lovely boat Does anyone have a sample agreement that I could use as a basis, or know where I might get one?

The Warners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 08:32   #15
Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Boat Share

In my experience it can work very well. I share a Scorpion and having done an agreement where we had thought a lot about use we have found that on many occaisions we use the boat together.
I agree that you need to have a similar perpective on the level of spend as things always seem to cost a bit more than you'd expect. For example we spent as much fitting a new Lowrance GPS as it cost to buy.
As far as fuel goes, we always leave it full which takes judgement out of the equation although on a future boat I'd like twin tanks so that we don't always run so heavy.
I'd recommend it and given that most of us use a Rib for 75/100 hours max that leaves a lot of hours unused.
howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 14:03   #16
Trade member
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
What about lynx sports club where you join for x amount per year and get the use of a Scorpion .
Seems that this is another option for some
Tim Griffin
RYA and RLSS UK Training and Rescue Centre
07876 623124 follow us on twitter @GriffMarine
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 14:38   #17
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Biffy
Make: Swede 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo oil burner
or charter a rib when you want one...the Lynx option at 411 up to 587 per day seems expensive, even if the RIBs are decent...
donutsina911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 14:48   #18
Town: West Sussex
Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
Nice kit I must agree, but 7K for 20 days its a lot of money .
toby4594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2007, 03:45   #19
Boat name: Challenger 2
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda 150hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
That equates to 350 for a days charter, not bad considering others charge 500+.

Genuine products, low prices -
Millermob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2007, 05:17   #20
Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
I co-own my boat with Andy, and split the costs 50/50. We put everything in a contract (including what happens if one of us dies!), which states what happens if we disagree or want to buy each other out.

As other people have said, you need to have the same motivation to make it work and be honest with each other. I rarely use the boat without Andy, so splitting the fuel is easy.

I suspect if you do own it with more than 1 other person you can then get into the debates about who damaged it etc., but if there is just 2 of you thats quite straightforward!

Finally its worth making sure that you're both able to financially commit to the boat for a number of years, and both regularly put money in a shared bank account for the boat. It makes paying for parts and servicing much easier!

thorper is offline   Reply With Quote