Old 21 August 2002, 10:54   #1

Town: London
Boat registration

How many of you have registered your boats with SSR?

I ask because unless you intend on going abroad (which I don't for the foreseeable) I see no reason for doing so.

I appreciate that it may be important to register the boat with the Coastguard via a CG66 for but this is different.

Also if you happen to stray (by mistake of course) into the wrong shipping lane or get too close to a large vessel in the Solent etc. it is a very good way of anyone reporting you to the authorities.

Am I missing something?

Nigel

Old 21 August 2002, 12:34   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Having done a fair bit of sailing I have been cut up many a time by motorboats.... When motorboating I have seen terrible displays of seamanship from the string and canvas brigade. I also am a deck officer and regularly find small boats of all denominations not complying with the IRPCS....for those who don't know what that stands for I would suggest they should be at sea in a boating lake....
Registration can only really work if there was mandatory licencing for all boat users to be qualified....
I was in Eling Creek about a month ago getting ready to launch and a jet skier launched before me and went hurtling arounnd the small creek at near max chat spraying passers by and causing the launching boats to suffer pounding on there trailers... on the road this would be reckless driving his registration recorded and appropriate measures taken...
Bring in compulsory boat drivers licences...equavalent to PB level 2...level 1 is a waste of space...then register all boats with an individual ID no.
I am only 22 and definately not a killjoy but unless something happens soon I feel there may be more accidents.
To join the marines and kill someone u train for maybe a year... to learn to drive a ship u train to drive for 4 years...and 90 knot powerboats...heres the keys off u go...

Old 21 August 2002, 15:51   #3

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Nicely done Badbaws,

I agree with your arguments and will get my boats registered on the SSR soon.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding a mandatory drivers ticket and for yachts too, ( I really like sailing but I am a Ribster at heart). I personally don't think the PB2 is enough to let you drive a fast boat, or any in a congested place such as the Solent. You s learn a small range of manouveres, on a flat sea if your unlucky and then you are qualified to Charter a Scorpion and go Zooming (as my nephew put's it). Having saud that it's better than nothing.

I believe the PB2 should entitle you to helm a boat but under guidance ...a bit like the P plates you see on new drivers cars.

One other thing about yacht drivers, they seem to forget that different rules apply when they are not under sail, and getting out the old cone is such a chore!

I don't like it when Ribsters break the speed limit's in rivers it just keeps on making the authorities think we are irresponsible.

I must be getting old. I am starting to get responsible

Anybody feel like signing a petition demanding compulsory boat tickets
Old 22 August 2002, 03:01   #4

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
"Compulsory!"

No, no, no.

Boating, which includes, canoeing, ribbing, sibbing, sailing, rowing, etc. is about fun and freedom. Yes, of course with this comes responsibility.

Making boat registration and handling courses compulsory will have the following effects:

Getting into boating will be MUCH more expensive
Fewer people will take up boating
There will be a huge increase in bureaucracy
Boating will become an even more 'elite' pastime
Other things such as compulsory equipment would soon follow
Danger and adventure will be legislated away
Compulsory and expensive insurance
Slipway owners will charge much more

Making boat registration and handling courses compulsory will NOT have the following effects:

Stupid and ignorant boat owners will change
There will be no accidents

You can bet your bottom dollar that adventurers like Alan Priddy would not be allowed to continue.

Believe me COMPULSION is a waypoint we DON'T want on our chart.

Keith (too many regulations in life as it is) Hart

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2002, 03:58   #5

Couldn't agree with you more Keith!!
Old 22 August 2002, 07:24   #6
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
A good example of this is the regulations for a car driver.
You need to pass a test, have insurance etc and registration but there are plenty of road users whom still break the rules and drive like maniacs!!

On the jet ski front, I am sure there are some examples of good conduct, however my experiences of them are not.

Last year while anchored off of Clacton pier, enjoying the sun and along comes a jet ski, spins around and deliberately fills my rib up. Luckily all my electronic equipment is waterproof, but he did not know what I had aboard. Last weekend, my wife and I went to Thorpe Bay near southend. I could not believe my eyes.
Adult jet skiers using children as obstacles to ski / splash around. Total anarchy on the slipway, upto 4 jet skis, boats trying to launch together, then the race up the slipway with the 4 wheel drive cars. All this in a buoyed 6 Knot zone!!.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2002, 08:40   #7

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
I'm with you, Keith. Well said.
Old 22 August 2002, 10:37   #8

compulsory basic training to ride a motorbike does not stop people riding and enjoying it...so why would some kind of compulsory basic training for boats...I did PB levels 1&2 and safety boat all for 85... I pay 150 fully comp for 4m RIB any driver boat value 3500....so insurance is not going to be the killer and neither is the training.
the cost of an outboard service is usually over 100 a year!!for a 40/50 hp...
Does an ICC required for foreign waters stop people enjoying boating in say France??
People who object to training are usually those without any who have always done it 'that way'.
Read rule 1 of the IRPCS these rules apply to all vessels........
And what is the definition of a vessel see rule 3....then tell me that for example one of my friends borrows my RIB for the weekend goes off and has an accident involving another vessel....would it have happened if he read..and understood the IRPCS...
I put it to all the RIBsters on this site who who's the IRPCS as it applies to all of us!!! and who understands it????
alex.
Old 22 August 2002, 10:39   #9

ps I am off to sea in my ship tomorrow for six days how many small boats will impede my safe passage....bets on a postcard....be it WAFI's or Gas Guzzlers
Old 22 August 2002, 10:45   #10

Well thanks for all that, all very interesting I'm sure but it doesn't actually answer my original quaestion whether it is worthwhile registering a RIB?

Nigel