Old 13 August 2007, 06:13   #11

Town: Clanfield
Boat name: Ragless
Make: Ocean
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175DI
MMSI: 235066488
Send a message via MSN to BigFella Send a message via Skype™ to BigFella
Hey Nik- it was indeed good to meet up. Your assistance has been invaluable and hopefully I will now end up with a boat which will meet my requirements sensibly.

Malc's on holiday for a couple of weeks now but what you suggest may be a goer when he gets back.. and your list definitely seems to cover the areas I was thinking of - and more.

Old 13 August 2007, 14:08   #12

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
650 Ocean

Hi Big Fella,

Congratulations on your new purchase, you wont be disapointed a great boat. What engine have you gone for.

As for training I would sugest waiting until you are on the water and take it one step at a time building up your experience and confidence in your own boat. There are some very good instructors on here and are local that can offer 1 2 1 tuition. Join in on some of the cruises in company. Then spread your wings the world is your oyster.

Regards

Kevin

Old 13 August 2007, 15:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Youth
Congratulations on your new purchase, you wont be disapointed a great boat. What engine have you gone for.
Thanks. To be honest I have long admired Malc's boats and am very glad that I have decided to order a new one, however,here's the deal:

I have spec'd the boat and the matls/tubes etc are now on order and build is scheduled in the factory. However I haven't yet spec'd an engine as I have agreed a plan with Malcolm to try to source a second hand outboard in order to keep my budget down to a 'sensible' level. I am hoping to find a suitable unit for around 5/6k second hand( In the ideal world I would probably be rushing out with the chequebook for a nice shiny 200 etec or similar )

I guess I am aiming around the 150-200 HP area, and after discussions probably looking at a 2stroke DI rather than a four in order to cope with additional weight.

Need to start looking soon as I want to try to get the engine to Malc in advance of the build so he can fit and rig it. - I feel a wanted post coming on.....

Keith
Old 14 August 2007, 04:24   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
hey big fella - nice to meet you this week - you can always shout if you want to do anything in your own, or even better being as both of us know malc quite well, lets just borrow one of his spare ones for the day when it looks a bit lumpy...
1. concentrate on short sets - configuration
2. disturbed seas 3m swell + - entry / exit - escape route
3. following seas - hazards, tips etc
4. solent ship wake hazards - VLCC's - Wave piercing cats... etc

all of the above you can do in the solent, needles for short sets, haslar sea wall for disturbed, following Nab tower, cowes for 4.
try and do one excercise per outing and get a good brief, demonstration, then you do it and get the excercise licked - dont try and do all the above in one session - get it right, be happy - and you will be as professional as any commercial skipper out there... enjoy..
Theres sense here!

Don't forget that the VLCC, Box Boats (container ships) and Car Carriers and Liners/Large Feries have a moving exclusion Zone in the Solent. Ikm ahead and 200m either side

Theres a lot of old Oceans around still looking good and in regular use. I take that as a good sign

I am back at the beginning of September for a fortnight, and I want to Sea trial our new Engine in our Avon 8.4.. which should be fitted by then. Intention is to go round the Island, Down to Portaland and off to France not all on the same day but you are welcome to join us if you want.

Re engine you should be able to get a new Opti 200 for not much more than 7 K Don't underestimate the usefulness of a warranty unless it's from Yamaha
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2007, 09:42   #15

Just as a general update, I have done a deal on an engine now, It is a 2005 Evinrude 175 DI which has around 80 hours and is being replaced with an etec by the current owners.. which means that I get all the nice new shiny bits from the new etec as he is keeping all the original guages etc in the boat
Old 14 August 2007, 10:21   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
make sure you keep the engine cover latch well lubed and use it egularly. if it seizes then the plastic is not strong and will snap.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2007, 10:23   #17

Good tip - thanks