Old 24 October 2018, 05:52   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Boat covers

I’m in need of a new boat cover, previous one was quite a heavy pvc type. Had a quote from the Southampton boat show of around £3,500-£4,000 which nearly made be faint! Had a quote from an online company that uses buyer given measurements to make a cover priced around £6-800.

Where do you all get your covers? Are they custom and with soft underside to not damage console seating etc? Do you get separate console / jockey / engine covers? Also do you remove the cover for towing?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24 October 2018, 06:20   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
I got mine from Covercare at Thornham Marina, Thorney Island in 2012. Highly recommended with plenty of choice.
I delivered the boat in the morning and picked it up with the cover in the afternoon. I can’t remember how much it cost but it was competitive and still looks good after 6 years with a couple of cleanings.
It’s always a good idea to tow without the cover.

Don
Old 24 October 2018, 06:33   #3

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
I still think the Ducks back covers at about £80 are the best things to buy. They are very light, easy to put on and work very well. They last about 3 - 4 years so excellent value for money
Old 24 October 2018, 07:46   #4

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
The type of cover you need will depend somewhat on where you plan to use it (on a mooring, in a garage , on a driveway, etc). Also, how often you will be removing and replacing the cover (just wrap it for the winter, used after every trip, etc).

From our experience here at the Dry Stack, I would say that tthe most important thing about any cover is that it fits the boat perfectly and can be secured properly.

We also recomend Covercare who make an excellent cover that fits the boat. Can't recomend DucksBack covers as they tend to come off in the wind and shred quite easily - however, I know some on here have success with them and they are cheap

Again, whether you need console and seat covers seprately will depend on how you intend to use you boat.

From memory, I think a typical 7m breathable all-over cover should cost about £800 - £1,000 Certainly not £3,500

Regards

Steve
Old 24 October 2018, 07:55   #5

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Ducksback are one of the very best for keeping on it you pull the 3 straps correctly.

No idea how it would work up a drystack though
Old 24 October 2018, 08:29   #6

Mines kept on my drive so those options sound good, main purpose is over the winter but nice if it’s light and easy to fit if moored in a marina during the summer. Individual console and seat covers would be good for that purpose as well when moored up and using it daily, cheers guys!
Old 24 October 2018, 09:29   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
I’m in need of a new boat cover, previous one was quite a heavy pvc type. Had a quote from the Southampton boat show of around £3,500-£4,000 which nearly made be faint! Had a quote from an online company that uses buyer given measurements to make a cover priced around £6-800.

Where do you all get your covers? Are they custom and with soft underside to not damage console seating etc? Do you get separate console / jockey / engine covers? Also do you remove the cover for towing?

Thanks in advance!

I paid £600 for a custom full cover & separate console cover from Quayside Leisure (Looey) in Cannock. Fully tailored (bespoke[emoji6]) and fitted over the A frame, even with the rod holders on...well I never!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 09:46   #8

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
To get a good cover made it is like going to the tailor to have a suit made to measure so you would need to take your rib to the cover maker. I would highly recommend Arun Canvas and Trimming Ltd in Littlehampton
Tel: 01903713684
Old 24 October 2018, 09:49   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
To get a good cover made it is like going to the tailor to have a suit made to measure so you would need to take your rib to the cover maker. I would highly recommend Arun Canvas and Trimming Ltd in Littlehampton

Tel: 01903713684

[emoji106]yup, Looey had mine for a day to template it, the cover arrived 2 weeks later. Fits like a glove.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 18:10   #10

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
iv had a ducksback that fell to bits in a fortnight they did refund me in full with no questions asked and told me to just dispose of the cover myself .shame as the last ducksback id had was great after a few years use but the one that fell apart was definitely not the same quality as the old one
Old 24 October 2018, 18:15   #11

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Engine: Evinrude
Sail register at Market Rasen, well worth giving them a call
Old 24 October 2018, 18:24   #12

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
iv had a ducksback that fell to bits in a fortnight they did refund me in full with no questions asked and told me to just dispose of the cover myself .shame as the last ducksback id had was great after a few years use but the one that fell apart was definitely not the same quality as the old one
I've just bought one, I thought that after seeing some good reviews about them I would give it a try. The quality of the material looks very good so I hope that yours was a one-off. [emoji6]

I had to remove my windscreen so that the side's would fit under the rubbing strakes and I have to tuck the rear of the cover around the A frame so apart from that.... it looks very snug.

I also bought a Ducksback engine cover too. [emoji106]
Old 24 October 2018, 18:30   #13

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Wrong end of the country but "Custom-made-Covers" in Falkirk made a heavy vinyl cover for my 6.5mtr for £300. Just left the boat with them, picked it up the following day with the custom cover made and fitted. (They did the same for Breezblock for his Humber).

Excellent service and very strong material.
Old 24 October 2018, 19:07   #14

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
I've just bought one, I thought that after seeing some good reviews about them I would give it a try. The quality of the material looks very good so I hope that yours was a one-off. [emoji6]

I had to remove my windscreen so that the side's would fit under the rubbing strakes and I have to tuck the rear of the cover around the A frame so apart from that.... it looks very snug.

I also bought a Ducksback engine cover too. [emoji106]
the one I had the outer waterproof layer of the material started cracking and coming away from the base layer in the creases and where it was stretched tight over the console ect .the folk at ducksback said that they were using a new supplier apologised and refunded me
Old 24 October 2018, 19:12   #15

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
the one I had the outer waterproof layer of the material started cracking and coming away from the base layer in the creases and where it was stretched tight over the console ect .the folk at ducksback said that they were using a new supplier apologised and refunded me
Can't argue with that then [emoji106]
Old 24 October 2018, 19:19   #16

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I used sail medic in ipswich for an overall breathable cover for a 5m rib ,super job, if i remember rightly it was november ,i bought for £450 as he offered a 10% special in november COVERS - Sail Medic
Old 24 October 2018, 21:12   #17

Thanks everyone, all very good suggestions, I’ll follow them up and see what they can offer.

Do you bother with engine covers?
Old 24 October 2018, 22:51   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Personal choice but I think they look better without, unless the cowl is damaged of course.
Old 25 October 2018, 19:47   #19

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Tuff Covers in Newton Abbott made mine for me, made out of lorry siding style material works and fits well.

Also made a console and seat cover from teh same material, he also has a lighter material that looks good but was more expensive.

Uses templates and came up to me to measure up, has a range of templates ready for different craft with standard build.

Had change out of £400 for both covers.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 08:04   #20

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I've found the Ducks Back covers gives an "affordable" solution lasting 3-4 years- not perfect as leaves the boat open around the A-frame allowing rain water dead leaves etc in. Would also prefer one that caps to the rubbing strake, not straps under the boat

I haven't yet found someone to make a bespoke cover for under £1,000, with the added need to tow boat half way across the country on a week day for an manufacturer to measure up! Fully understand why they need to do this, but the time and expense have deterred me when I can get a DB that does most of the job for c. £90. - and if I could be bothered to do some cutting and sewing could probably adapt it myself

Will try Treerat's supplier in Newton Abbot for a quote though