Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 23 September 2002, 09:55   #1

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Boat buying TIPS (from real experience)

I have learnt a lot about boat dealers, but there are some good honest ones out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions, it is your hard earned money, the good ones will do their best to answer them, or try to find the answer. Make sure it floats, good ones will offer you a test drive without question. Don't rush, do your research, not only on the boat but the dealer, you may have to go back to them regarding warranty work, if you have one! (make sure you do, in WRITING)

The country is flooded with boats for sale, if you are looking at a boat and think you are being lied to, have suspicions that something funny is going on, confront that dealer or person. When they have your money, in most cases it is then too late.

You may have thought you had bought a boat, even from a main importer/dealer, shaken hands on it, spent an awful amount of time and hours driving about to see it, gone and spent a lot of money on accessories for that particular one, to then be told that it has been sold when you have heard nothing for days, after asking for all the promises in writing and a test drive before paying, WALK AWAY you have had a lucky escape

AND REMEMBER

'If in doubt, leave it out' (works for other things as well!)

THANKS TO YOU ALL,

Pete (all the wiser now)
Old 23 September 2002, 16:00   #2

Remember

Shaking hands on a deal means nothing to some people, even though it means a lot to you.

If someone for example a main dealer refuses to take a deposit on a credit card and wants cash / cheque, beware, the safety of paying by credit card is gone, you may have no come back.

If the boat you are buying is for example lying tilted on an old rubber tyre in a garden / field, you can see that it has been there for some time as long grass is growing under it and the mower has gone round that, has part inflated tubes, is uncovered, has bird mess on the tubes (that may damage them), really make sure that is the boat you want, and test drive it to be sure.

TRY the boat you are going to buy, if someone makes excuses and offers you a test drive in a bigger one with a bigger engine, insist on the one you are buying, it may not float!

Look at the staff, if the sales manager seems to be afraid of something or someone beware, if anybody senior suddenly gets involved and refers to the sales manager (who has gone very quiet) as 'meat in a sandwich', and not to talk to them, Walk away, they obviously have no respect for their staff, what hope do you have and are they trying to hide something?

Do your research well, if other dealers, members of staff, have nothing good to say about the importer and dislike him / her, beware, there may be trouble in the future, and where are you going to get your engine serviced.

I am sure there are others with good tips to save people new to RIBS from first time problems. I hope this helps someone.

Pete
Old 23 September 2002, 17:05   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Puleese, Pete.
We have tried to help you, now will you help us by giving it a rest.
76 posts in a fortnight !
Old 23 September 2002, 18:06   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Or you might find that no one will sell you a boat!
Alan P
Old 24 September 2002, 11:12   #5

Brian,

I am trying to help out people who are going to buy their first boat. Previous experiences by others are very important, I have as you are well aware have had an unfortunate experience, I care enough to warn others, why should they not be warned? The reason for a Forum is to discuss and part with previous experiences and knowledge with other like minded people. It is only those in the business who are afraid of todays technology that can warn others quickly of things to watch for. The viewer who must be interested to learn more, to even find the forum, deserves to be able to share in that intelligence gathered by others.

As for the number of entries, what on earth is a forum for? If everyone just looked and did not participate it would not be as good as it is. You have the choice whether you want to read it. I must say that I have learned so much on here but it has been a steep learning curve. I have saved months and months of research in two weeks, thanks to this forum.

I hope others will be able to give tips to first time boat buyers.

Alan,

As for nobody wanting to sell me a boat, that is just plain daft. According to JK if I turned up with cash and wanted the boat there and then I would get it.

As I said I have a test drive this Saturday and hope to order this new 2003 model boat after the sea trial, infact I may be getting that one and a much bigger one with a 320hp 5.7 GXI volvo Penta in it. I have had nothing but superb service from this dealer, so good dealers are out there.

Pete
Old 24 September 2002, 12:58   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
new 2003 model
What boat is it? Is it a RIB?
Old 24 September 2002, 15:56   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Yeah - 6.6m RIB with 90hp to something or other (RIB?) with 320hp from a 5.7L inboard engine?? Sublime to ridiculous?
Old 24 September 2002, 16:21   #8

Pepper,

I am looking at the new 2003 Larson sei 180 at £13,500 incl snipe trailer and full covers, it is the same price as the RIB was. It has a choice of a 135hp 3.0 engones, Volvo Penta or Mercruiser. The Volvo has 1 yr warranty and the Merc 2yrs. I don't want my son who is 15yrs old having anything too fast to start with, I think the maximum speed on this is 40mph, with fuel consumption between 3 - 4 Gal hr.

We have a 10 mth old baby and my wife wants some cover in a boat for her, she is interested in the Larson Cabrio 220, it is a pretty basic boat and normally retails at £35k, the dealer has his show boat a 2002 model, never been in the water, for sale at £28k, it has some extras on. It is not a fast boat and is only 6.73 mtrs (22'1") long. The only problem is that as from 2003 all Larson boats will be white, not the cream colour they have been, they will all have lifetime (transerable warranties) on their hulls, floors and Transoms. I guess you have to weigh up the pro's and con's of new and 2nd hand.

I know that these are different boats to RIBS, but my son is used to and still drives 14mtr Redbays with twin 240hp engines in, I can't match that, they cost over £100,000. He will still be driving the Redbays in his school holidays so can have the fun then. I will keep the 180 at a boat yard that launches for you, he can then just go down there and use the boat with his mates. My wife and I will stick to the other, and potter about. Perhaps after a couple of years when we know what we are doing we could get something a bit better, but we don't want to spend any more at the moment.

Pete
Old 24 September 2002, 17:03   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I'll send an Email later as PM across firewall at work upsets the network people!

...but tell me you're NOT going to get a bowrider, yeah?
Old 24 September 2002, 17:37   #10

Oh dear Pepper! what am I going to learn from you now? I am waiting in anticipation!

Cheers,

Pete
Old 24 September 2002, 19:10   #11

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Used to 14m Redbay's ??????????

Sorry, but if someone is used to driving these things then, you have allot to live up to.

Without much of a doubt, these are fantastic seahandling machines and allot more forgiving than prob most on the market.

If you have 28K ish to spend then it opensup a whole new world of RIB buying that not many others can compete with on a pleasure level. and also 22' is not 'only' 22' surely this is quite a large RIB?

Solution - buy a 14m redbay.

Pete F
Old 24 September 2002, 19:52   #12

Pete,

The boats that he drives can be seen at www.puffin.org.uk (look at the RIB section, pictures are at the bottom of the page) he drives them all including the jet powered cat. I know I can't compete with that and as long as he is building up his experience and hours on them he is happy.

There is no doubt that blowing my whole boat budget I could get a great RIB, but that would be selfish against the rest of the family. I spoke to Redbays when I was first looking, they are fantastic boats, but too much for me to give someone for a 16th birthday present.

I was quite happy to give him a bit of the budget, but we need something else that the whole family including the youngest can use. The other option is to just get one bigger boat, and yes we could get something a bit nicer with that, but do you really need it, when the other would do. I would think it would be too big for him to cruise around on with his mates, and who would pay for the fuel? I think I know.

Pete
Old 24 September 2002, 20:00   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
I know of a very good boat for sale in Canada ( Buyer collects)
Alan P
Old 24 September 2002, 20:07   #14

Alan, Does that include postage and packing

Oh! and sorry I just looked at the puffin site, one part mentions the RIBS are 11mtr, the other 12mtr, and I was told 14mtr, anyway they are VERY big and very smart boats, I have seen them.

Pete