Old 04 June 2004, 22:28   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Blow Back When Filling Fuel Tank

Does anybody have problems when filling the fuel tank on a Valiant Patrol 5.2 Mtr.Since purchasing my Rib last April I have had the problem of the fuel blowing back from the filler when filling,I've tried filling fast and slow I've moved the position of the spout,I've fitted a non return valve on the breather pipe and it still blows back.Please help as it takes me ages to fill the tank e.g about 15 minutes to get £30.00 of petrol in.Also any comments on the general handling would be appreciated as I'm sure it should be better than it is.
Old 04 June 2004, 23:16   #2

Town: Fareham
Is air blowing past the filler or out of the vent/breather. If it's the filler then you need to check that the breather isn't blocked. Take out the one way valve (you should really need this if the vent that the breather is attached is high enough above the tank). If unblocked then what size is the breather tube! Should be at least 25mm Dia or bigger. If the fuel's comming out the breather vent, then I suspect one of two reasons.

First: How much higher is the vent above the top of the tank.

Second: Check that where the breather pipe enters the fuel tank that, it's at the top of the tank and that there's no piping inside the tank. The purpous of a breather is for air to escape.

Good luck

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2004, 01:39   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
use a tossers tube. i think they are called Superpumps and fill it from cans. it will only take about 2 mins
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2004, 07:28   #4

Town: Fareham
A Tossers pump!!!!! Alternativly find a Gypsy traveller. They could empty and refill your tank in 15 seconds

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2004, 08:19   #5

Town: Worcestershire
Make: Various
Engine: O/B + Sterndrives Di
Might just be worth checking that the filler hose has not developed a "kink" and collapsed - happens when hoses are bent too far, builders sometimes try to get the filler hose to turn through 90deg in too short a space? We had similar problem on a boat a few years back solution was to replace hose with longer peice and effectively smooth the route from filler to tank.
Old 05 June 2004, 08:52   #6

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Blow Back

Thanks for the help, I'll try all suggestions over the week-end. We shoud'nt have to do this when we buy a brand new boat should we.
Old 05 June 2004, 09:40   #7

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Wayne,
I had a similar problem and found it was due to the "head down" angle of the deck when on towcar and particularly on sloping garage forecourts. In essence the rear of the tank being higher that the front ( filler ) end - causing an air lock - which then has the lovely habit of blowing fuel out all over the deck ! Plently of washing up liquid kept in locker to clean up !
Tip is ( tho can be a pain) to unhitch from car at pump - and lift nose up as far as possible.
I have recently re-routed the fuel filler - as other say, to keep the console as clear as possible the builders put the filler low down on the front of the console - this means a very tight 90deg bend ( which partially collapses the filler tube).
I have since modified this and moved the filler as high as possible up the side of the console - this gives a nice long sweeping bend and much better differential between the tank and inlet - it fills 10 times faster - and I can now get 130 litres in where I could only squeeze ( very very slowly ! ) 110l.
I still unhitch for better filling tho.
Jeff