Old 27 April 2017, 15:29   #1

Length: 7m +
Black gelcoat fading.

The black gelcoat finish on my mates Ribcraft is fading quite badly,turning almost white from sun damage i suppose. Especially the console where it is in full sun.
I have tried polishing with compound then a uv resistant polish, it comes up great for a few days then is back to milky white again, any suggestions?
Old 27 April 2017, 15:47   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We have the same problem with our hard boat which has black hull sides needs an annual cut and Polish and regular waxing
Only answer I guess it to cover it up
Can you first an allover cover or maybe a console cover
Old 27 April 2017, 17:08   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Not a Big deal Gents
Just give a going over with a decent cutting Polish...(G3 or similar)which will soo sort things!
Plenty of Gel Coat to polish up!.
An electric Buffer will make it easier for large areas and by hand where it's Fiddley....Tips!..Do small area at a time,keep moist (I use a water spray on Cars) when you've brought Her back and your happy....seal with a decent Auto polish and your Pride and Joy will look good as new

Regular Polymer Polishing will help build up a barrier not only to UV but Crap and Mess ect too.
Of course any surface will suffer from long term exposure to UV....so a Consul/seat cover and or inside storage is to be recommended...and is the way to go.Save you a lot of elbow grease as well.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 23:59   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Living here in Australia and with so many of my boat parts being black I carefully looked into how to protect it from uv, I found hundreds of great reviews on Amazon on this 303 Marine Aerospace Protectant. I must say that I'm extremely happy with the results and my blacks look deep shinny and black without any greasy or tacky feel.

It's also worked wonders on my car dash and turning the foam grips on my fishing rods back to looking new again.

Jon

Old 28 April 2017, 07:14   #5

Thanks for the replies I have used G3 and then polish to finish but it still goes back to faded quite quickly. I think i will have to get a bit more elbow grease going. Trouble is i think the fading is so deep now it is probably too late.
Old 28 April 2017, 08:30   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Living here in Australia and with so many of my boat parts being black I carefully looked into how to protect it from uv, I found hundreds of great reviews on Amazon on this 303 Marine Aerospace Protectant. I must say that I'm extremely happy with the results and my blacks look deep shinny and black without any greasy or tacky feel.

It's also worked wonders on my car dash and turning the foam grips on my fishing rods back to looking new again.

Jon

Hi Jon, +1[emoji106]. Been using 303 for years on my tubes, both on military grey (about the worst colour for keeping clean) & my current black tubes. Brilliant stuff & a doddle to apply.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 10:52   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
Thanks for the replies I have used G3 and then polish to finish but it still goes back to faded quite quickly. I think i will have to get a bit more elbow grease going. Trouble is i think the fading is so deep now it is probably too late.
Honestly I doubt it Mate...I had some really pretty deep scratches on the front of the Consul which I thought might be to deep too polish out... Flexable Block 800 grit wet and dry Water and a little soap to 1000 then 1200... Buffer and COMPLETLY Gone ..So there is Plenty of Gelcoat to play with.
I've also seen really bad gouges in a black Hull on another RIB fixed with added (painted in gel coat) left to go off.. flatted back in the same manor...again excellent results.

Another vote here for 303 too

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 14:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Honestly I doubt it Mate...I had some really pretty deep scratches on the front of the Consul which I thought might be to deep too polish out... Flexable Block 800 grit wet and dry Water and a little soap to 1000 then 1200... Buffer and COMPLETLY Gone ..So there is Plenty of Gelcoat to play with.
I've also seen really bad gouges in a black Hull on another RIB fixed with added (painted in gel coat) left to go off.. flatted back in the same manor...again excellent results.

Another vote here for 303 too
Thanks Max.
I will try again, might be worth a light going over with wet&dry first on the worst areas, then sponge mop with G3, polish to finish. I worked in the Auto refinishing trade all my working life so should be ok. Didn't work on many gelcoated cars apart from the odd A.C. Cobra replica's.