Old 22 June 2012, 14:46   #11

Town: Vancouver
Make: Zodiac Pro 470 '99
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
As mentioned, the interior of the hull is supposed to be sealed. Water coming aboard washes to the stern and gets pumped out by the white bilge pump. I would look into figuring out why extra water was getting into the hull, seal all the screw holes or whatever that was letting it in. Then remove all that junk under the floor and reglass over the hole. Essentially return the boat to its original design. But that's just me.

Don't leave that red pump installed and glass over the top of it though.
There are a couple of areas above deck that could be leaking (small screw holes)..

What is the best way to find if there are any leaks in the hull bottom, is it safe to fill (or partly fill) the hull with water?
Perhaps I will start by putting the boat in water to see how much water it takes on.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 22 June 2012, 15:55   #12
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Mercury 50hp
What age is she and what condition

Old 22 June 2012, 16:26   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I used to have a Zodiac Pro 420, granted it was a a 2006 hull, but the basic hull hasn't changed much. If water is getting into the void between the hull and deck, then I'd put my Greek Euros on leaking screw holes, or the bow locker.

The bow locker you can't do much about, but you must be seriously shipping water to need a bilge pump in the void. The old Pro's transom is different, so it may possible to get water coming in when coming off the plane in a lumpy sea.

Regards existing screw holes, it's not a big deal to remove the screws, clean the area thoroughly, then apply a bead of Sikaflex to the console and seat base and holes, then screw the whole lot down again. If you're worried about the strength of the existing screw holes, then you could always fill them in, drill new pilot holes and use fresh stainless steel countersunk screws with washers.
Old 22 June 2012, 17:04   #14

Town: Vancouver
Make: Zodiac Pro 470 '99
Engine: Honda 50hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
What age is she and what condition
I think you have answered my question for me.. i.e. I shouldn't go filling the hull with water.

It is a 1999 boat and it looks like it has been used a lot... bottom deck (i.e. underneath) has a lot of scratches/scrapes (a quick glance shows no obvious holes or cracks though... but I haven't inspected it thoroughly).
There is a small hairline crack on the deck front-side top. i.e. where the side starts to curve around to the front.. I am not sure if this is cosmetic or structural.. I will take some pictures.