Old 11 July 2006, 14:21   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I've got a 1000gph pump in mine. Set up on an manual/off/auto switch (from Rule, I think.) I would advise getting the biggest pump you have room for.

I'm considering mounting a second, as it takes a while to pump out even a modest amount of water, and a backup never hurt anyone. (I get a fair amount of water in through a deck storage hatch from wet divers and dive gear. Not really enough to worry about, but since it does happen, I'm wondering how much would intrude in really rough seas.)

If there is an appreciable amount of water, any pump takes a while to get it out. The head (height the pump has to lift) has a lot to do with that. You want to make sure that the outlet hose is well above the waterline (or any conceivable waterline) as you'll fill the bilge if it goes under.

One other thing about these pumps: The old float type automatic switches are generally crap. They work OK until they're out of warranty, then start hanging up. It's not good when the auto feature doesn't turn on the pump. It's worse when it runs continuously (potential fire hazard, dead batteries.)

Bottom line is that I can't really think of a negative in having a pump, but you still have to be careful of certain scenarios that can occur with one. Having one is certainly better than having to pull the boat anytime you want to drain the bilge.

jky

Old 11 July 2006, 18:36   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have just discovered a brilliant way to make my bilge pump 20x times more powerful - take out the stainless gauze filter. Makes one hell of a difference. Yes I know the pump will clog but then again so did the gauze. Has also cut battery drain by a massive amount.

Old 11 July 2006, 18:51   #13

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Got the same problem on my Valiant . Not much gets in a couple of pints or so in a day but if it were on the water for a few days then Iam not sure what may happen .

To test the bung and fittings I filled the hull with some water through the hole and put the bung in quick . Its not the bung leaking .

I suspect the drain valve in the transome as I seem to get more in when there has been a bit of water splashed into the boat by swimmers etc .

I was thinking of an easy cure and my idea was to fit a piece of hosepipe with a plumbing fitting instead of the bung . The hose could then be secured above the water line and a hand pump conected to it daily to empty it .
Old 11 July 2006, 19:05   #14

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Ian,
When the boat's on the trailer, have you tried pouring loads of water onto the deck, to see if any passes through the deck into the hull void?
Old 11 July 2006, 19:42   #15

yes brad iam pretty sure its getting in topside . the locker in the bow isn't leaking so it has to be the baler fitting through the stern . Gonna have a better test before Scilly this weekend are you coming along . ??

I still fancy a way of pumping the inner hull dry . I wondered if a tube on the drain bung would work like an elephant trunk and draw the water out while on the move ?? problem is its pretty close to the motor .
Old 11 July 2006, 19:57   #16

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Boat name: Ruby
Make: Valiant 490
Engine: Yamaha 60-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
Got the same problem on my Valiant . Not much gets in a couple of pints or so in a day but if it were on the water for a few days then Iam not sure what may happen .

To test the bung and fittings I filled the hull with some water through the hole and put the bung in quick . Its not the bung leaking .
Hi Ian!

Interesting. I'm replacing the lower threaded bung and socket tomorrow in hopes it will help. Sounds like it may not cure it. I'll keep you posted.

OTOH it's possible the pressure of trapped water you put in isn't really equivalent to the pressure of water trying to get in 6" below sealevel. Or 9" below when it's already taken on water. Perhaps it takes on the first inch of water in 24 hours, the 2nd in 12, the 3rd in 6, etc. I've a new auxiliary on the transom this year and I reckon it's possible the extra weight has added enough pressure on the bung to seriously accelerate the rate of leakage.

Quote:
I suspect the drain valve in the transome as I seem to get more in when there has been a bit of water splashed into the boat by swimmers etc .
It's certainly possible, although water on the deck would push the lower bung deeper also. But if the deck drain is letting water into the hull, it would mean a failure in the joint between the collar and either the inner or outer transom, which sounds unlikely. The transom may even be completely solid at that point. Nevertheless, I'll take a look tomorrow.

Quote:
I was thinking of an easy cure and my idea was to fit a piece of hosepipe with a plumbing fitting instead of the bung . The hose could then be secured above the water line and a hand pump conected to it daily to empty it .
I'm a bit doubtful about that one
1) won't the hose have to be diverted around the engine bracket making it complicated?
2) if the hose took a knock you'd have a hole in your hull where the bung ought to have been!

Jim
Old 11 July 2006, 20:11   #17

would be interested in what you see if you remove the deck drain .

My valiant is a v 490 and has one drain set to one side with a little well. it has a bung in it as well as the one way flap . If I have left the bung in and water had been a inch or so deep in the stern for a while thats when it seems to get the most in .

There is no other access to the inner hull to the inner hull from inside the boat . other than maybe srews that hold the consul down leaking and we havent had that much water in the boat .

Iam pretty sure ill end up treating the symptoms and not a cure
Old 12 July 2006, 03:38   #18

Quote:
would be interested in what you see if you remove the deck drain .

My valiant is a v 490 and has one drain set to one side with a little well. it has a bung in it as well as the one way flap . If I have left the bung in and water had been a inch or so deep in the stern for a while thats when it seems to get the most in .

There is no other access to the inner hull to the inner hull from inside the boat . other than maybe srews that hold the consul down leaking and we havent had that much water in the boat .

Iam pretty sure ill end up treating the symptoms and not a cure
Mine's a V490 too but I suspect it's a different model. 1999?

There's a deck sump at the aft end of the deck with a central hole in it. It doesn't give any access to the hull void, it just leads straight out to the back of the transom.

There's no one way flap. I've got a bung for the hole with lever on it so it can be expanded in the hole. Or at least that's what's supposed to happen, I think the bung has lost its capacity to expand sideways so I'm looking for a new one. Haven't found it yet, it's a larger diameter than the ones in the local chandlery.

I won't be removing the deck drain, just the hull drain at the lowest part of the transom externally.

It may be a bit small to get a photo through it but I'll take a look.

Jim
Old 12 July 2006, 03:47   #19

they are similar but I dont have the sump like that its just a recess on the left side as you face the transom . I have the same expanding bung by the sounds of it . the through hull fitting has a flap in it and looks like it may be a replacement .
Its full of water right now being tested so will post again later .

Good luck
Old 12 July 2006, 06:22   #20

Quote:
they are similar but I dont have the sump like that its just a recess on the left side as you face the transom . I have the same expanding bung by the sounds of it . the through hull fitting has a flap in it and looks like it may be a replacement .
Its full of water right now being tested so will post again later .

Good luck
Just took the lower bung and fitting off and still couldn't see through into the hull

But I did notice that the deck drain does indeed have a one-way flap like yours, I had just failed to notice it (obscured by the transom lock inside the boat and part-obscured by the engine bracket outside).

Jim