Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 April 2013, 05:02   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Oh I see

Flooding hull blocked is unstable at rest no d difference at sea
__________________

__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2013, 06:48   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
I wouldnt say its unstable with the flooding hull blocked. sits a bit higher in the water, but at rest the tubes are still in contact with the water at the stern on mine with a 90 yam2st..
I tried mine blocked when I first got it and being used to a rigid boat was amazed how stable it was at rest and saw no need to ever unblock it.
My opinion is unless you want to use as a rescue boat and need it low in the water to assist in getting bodies aboard, then the advantages of blocking the hull heavily outweigh the disadvantages.
blocked for me every time.
__________________

__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2013, 10:02   #13
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
I wouldnt say its unstable with the flooding hull blocked. sits a bit higher in the water, but at rest the tubes are still in contact with the water at the stern on mine with a 90 yam2st..
I tried mine blocked when I first got it and being used to a rigid boat was amazed how stable it was at rest and saw no need to ever unblock it.
My opinion is unless you want to use as a rescue boat and need it low in the water to assist in getting bodies aboard, then the advantages of blocking the hull heavily outweigh the disadvantages.
blocked for me every time.
Fully agree, i don't think its particularly unstable as blocked, i don't think will unblock mine again. Even as blocked it is pretty low in the water, a transom well would be handy......
__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2013, 12:01   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
And even with it blocked and 100 litres of fuel on board, one person and a yam 90 there's only about 4 inches of freeboard at the transom cut out.
Going astern in mine in anything but flat calm and tickover, soon fills the boat with water. Handy for washing all the leaves out though.
A searider is wet enough with it blocked, unblocked its probably drier on a jetski
__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2013, 14:40   #15
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
And even with it blocked and 100 litres of fuel on board, one person and a yam 90 there's only about 4 inches of freeboard at the transom cut out.
Going astern in mine in anything but flat calm and tickover, soon fills the boat with water. Handy for washing all the leaves out though.
A searider is wet enough with it blocked, unblocked its probably drier on a jetski
Seconded, remember that day off Hurst castle with the capsized catamaran?


Mine's still nice and stable with it blocked. Admittedly, it would be MORE stable with it open, but IMO it doesn't make enough difference to warrant opening it.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 07:01   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Seconded, remember that day off Hurst castle with the capsized catamaran?


Mine's still nice and stable with it blocked. Admittedly, it would be MORE stable with it open, but IMO it doesn't make enough difference to warrant opening it.
Oh yes, got a bit wet that day. Mostly back at calshot, where once again I trusted you to let me know how much water was under the boat before I jumped off the bow. Didn't really want to swim to shore in a lifejacket
__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 09:01   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Agree with all the hull-blockers on this thread

Unusually, find myself disagreeing with Mr Wave.

Sounds to me like the OP needs a bigger RIB for his needs. Seariders are painfully narrow for loading up with kit, people, etc. A 6m wide bodied RIB would be better suited.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 14:24   #18
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Oh yes, got a bit wet that day. Mostly back at calshot, where once again I trusted you to let me know how much water was under the boat before I jumped off the bow. Didn't really want to swim to shore in a lifejacket
I did tell you how much water was under the skeg... Honest...

It's not like I forgot I'd set the offset to show depth under the skeg, honest!
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 16:37   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
well that would account for an error of a foot or so, but the bloody water was about 15 foot deep.....GIT.
__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 16:42   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
well that would account for an error of a foot or so, but the bloody water was about 15 foot deep.....GIT.
Used to do that for fun in the late 80s with the crew in the school SR in Newtown ....shelves steeply!..hours of laughter....
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.