Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 March 2011, 07:47   #1
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
biffer got his pant's pulled down

i'll own up to this as some of you know anyway, the story goes like this.
i found an engine on ebay that i wanted for my sr4, yes an sr4m to be exact, well i drove 91miles to get this engine, looked over it, put the batery pack on it to turn it over, kicked it a couple of times and had a deal, quite boring so far eh!, the fun begin's, we put it on a stand and start having a look at it, plugs out, compression tester at the ready, top cylinder 125, good start, middle cylinder the same, getting better, bottom cylinder, nothing?.
we get the camera out to have a look, as we're fiddling with that i jam a long screw driver down the plug hole, nothing!, my mates betting the crown's dropped off, i'm betting i'm gonna kill him if he doesn't stop laughing.
bugger that i said whip the head off, anyway we look inside, no piston, no conrod at all, i'm still thinking of killing my mate who's by now on the floor laughing.
a phone call to the seller explaining that this couldn't have been any thing else other than deception on his part, to remove all the buggered bits and put it back together so it would turn over ok.
the conversation wasn't going that well and i'm thinking i'm going to break it for spare or use it as a suppository to stop my mate laughing when i mentioned to the seller that i didn't want to start a war with him but i would when he offered me my money back.
there is a lesson to be learned here but i'm not sure what as yet, definately not to take it my mates shop to test it would be one.
i stand here at your mercy and ridicule
__________________

__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 08:02   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i'll own up to this as some of you know anyway, the story goes like this.
i found an engine on ebay that i wanted for my sr4, yes an sr4m to be exact, well i drove 91miles to get this engine, looked over it, put the batery pack on it to turn it over, kicked it a couple of times and had a deal, quite boring so far eh!, the fun begin's, we put it on a stand and start having a look at it, plugs out, compression tester at the ready, top cylinder 125, good start, middle cylinder the same, getting better, bottom cylinder, nothing?.
we get the camera out to have a look, as we're fiddling with that i jam a long screw driver down the plug hole, nothing!, my mates betting the crown's dropped off, i'm betting i'm gonna kill him if he doesn't stop laughing.
bugger that i said whip the head off, anyway we look inside, no piston, no conrod at all, i'm still thinking of killing my mate who's by now on the floor laughing.
a phone call to the seller explaining that this couldn't have been any thing else other than deception on his part, to remove all the buggered bits and put it back together so it would turn over ok.
the conversation wasn't going that well and i'm thinking i'm going to break it for spare or use it as a suppository to stop my mate laughing when i mentioned to the seller that i didn't want to start a war with him but i would when he offered me my money back.
there is a lesson to be learned here but i'm not sure what as yet, definately not to take it my mates shop to test it would be one.
i stand here at your mercy and ridicule
You were lucky to get out of it so easily. Some con that
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 08:13   #3
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Sounds like you got pants back on quick enough, lucky escape.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 08:28   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
You were lucky to get out of it so easily. Some con that
It was the lack of con(rod) that was a big problem...goes to show what some will do !! Theiving, robbing, halfwit gits.... at least you got it sorted...
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 09:05   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Wasn't from Norfolk was it?!

I hope he let you keep the engine for your trouble as well.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 14:53   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 202
Saw a car engine once,Car had been bought by a customer from a car supermarket running roughly and low on power, but ever so cheap.
No compression on one cylinder so we start to strip it...........
two cam followers missing (so the valves wouldn't open on that cylinder)
no piston,no conrod,bit of lino and a jubilee clip covering up the oil way in the crank journal,glassfibre patch on the hole in the block that the conrod had made when it previously let go.
Quite clever actually but not if you've just bought it!
__________________
bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 15:21   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 133
!! How on earth did somebody think they could get away with that and not have the buyer come back after them ? People never sease to amaze at what they will try and get away with !
__________________
sarahscottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 16:27   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Edinburgh
Make: Humber op
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 100 efi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 43
You should have taken out the other pistons before you gave him it back , then told him he can pick them up at your local trading standards office .

That or beat him up witha shi##y stick .

Craig................
__________________
bojit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 16:50   #9
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
That's a great Idea. If he complains, tell him that whoever nicked the bottom piston nicked all the others as well


Quote:
Originally Posted by bojit View Post
You should have taken out the other pistons before you gave him it back , then told him he can pick them up at your local trading standards office .

That or beat him up witha shi##y stick .

Craig................
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.