Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 December 2008, 18:09   #1
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
BIBOA [thread split from "the great british rib rally"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Mac View Post
I take it this is the website? http://www.greatbritishribrally.co.uk/

I was initially interested untill I saw the are only allowing ribs of 7.5m and above that can go at 30kts
Appears to be a BIBOA event? So much for them not being a scorp owners club with entry rules like that...
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 05:30   #2
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Appears to be a BIBOA event? So much for them not being a scorp owners club with entry rules like that...
Entry rules like what? Please explain.
__________________

__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 05:59   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Appears to be a BIBOA event? So much for them not being a scorp owners club with entry rules like that...
If that is the case then 6.5m would be the min.
__________________
Rib-it.com

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 06:50   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
Entry rules like what? Please explain.
This:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib rally website
Entry Criteria: Entry will be open to RIBs of at least 7.5m capable of cruising at speeds in excess of 30 knots, with a minimum of 2 crew and all entrants will be expected to be members of BIBOA for the event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib rally website
Scorpion RIBs is supporting the event by paying for the website, the launch, initial PR and secretarial support.
I'm reluctant to quote Biboa people themselves as the conversations were a while ago and I'm not sure I can recall them correctly enough not to cause arguments but the general gist seemed to be that they didn't want to be seen as an elitist Scorp owners club.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 07:45   #5
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
it just seemed to be the opposite to some stated aims which is a tad confusing.
Stated aims of the Rally event or of BIBOA?

There are many makes of 7.5m+ RIBs, all of which would be eligible to enter. I don't see why you think this shows BIBOA to be a Scorpion owners' club?

BIBOA, along with RIB International, are partners in organising the event with Scorpion. AFAIK, the event was conceived by the new MD of Scorpion (who is also a BIBOA member - what good taste he has ). It is natural that he would partner up with BIBOA as BIBOA is the RYA recognised UK authority on RIBs.

As has been mentioned above, the organisers have to draw the line somewhere. There have been endurance events for smaller RIBs in the past and no doubt there will be again in the future.

So how about the whingers stop moaning and instead support what sounds like a great event. For those whose RIBs are not eligible, or who don't own a RIB, you could always offer to crew for someone and split the costs or you could organise your own rally?

P.S. Simonnud - I think I'm right in saying that Scorpion don't make 6.5m RIBs any more, 7.5m is the smallest AFAIK. ;-)
__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 07:55   #6
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
the general gist seemed to be that they didn't want to be seen as an elitist Scorp owners club.
That's because we're not! When we first joined we didn't even have a boat!
__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 08:02   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
Stated aims of the Rally event or of BIBOA?

There are many makes of 7.5m+ RIBs, all of which would be eligible to enter. I don't see why you think this shows BIBOA to be a Scorpion owners' club?

BIBOA, along with RIB International, are partners in organising the event with Scorpion. AFAIK, the event was conceived by the new MD of Scorpion (who is also a BIBOA member - what good taste he has ). It is natural that he would partner up with BIBOA as BIBOA is the RYA recognised UK authority on RIBs.

As has been mentioned above, the organisers have to draw the line somewhere. There have been endurance events for smaller RIBs in the past and no doubt there will be again in the future.

So how about the whingers stop moaning and instead support what sounds like a great event. For those whose RIBs are not eligible, or who don't own a RIB, you could always offer to crew for someone and split the costs or you could organise your own rally?

P.S. Simonnud - I think I'm right in saying that Scorpion don't make 6.5m RIBs any more, 7.5m is the smallest AFAIK. ;-)
Whoa! Slow down!

I meant the stated aims of Biboa-who appear to be affiliated to the event if not organising it.

I'd like to point out that I'm emphatically not whinging or moaning about it. It does sound like a great event,and I understand and agree with Julian 100% when he says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
I think with events like this you need certain rules in place to make it viable, someone is going to be responsible for up to 35 boats and god knows how many people, they need to reduce the risk as much as possible to make the event both safe and a success.
particularly after doing safety boat cover for fast rag'n'sticks with skippers with a wide variety of ability. Keeping track of that many boats of varying speeds is an absolute nightmare.

I'm just making the point that Biboa gets referred to jokingly at times as the Scorpion Owners Club and that it has been said that it's a tag they don't want.
Possibly it's not the wisest of things to do if they wish to forward that aim is to organise a big event sponsored by Scorp that only excludes non Scorps. Does that make sense?

It IS just a comment. That's all.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 08:15   #8
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I meant the stated aims of Biboa
Which of BIBOA's stated aims does this event go against?

Quote:
I'd like to point out that I'm emphatically not whinging or moaning about it.
Good - I didn't say you were one of the whingers, but there were a couple earlier on in the thread.

Quote:
I'm just making the point that Biboa gets referred to jokingly at times as the Scorpion Owners Club and that it has been said that it's a tag they don't want.
It's not so much an unwanted tag as an inaccurate tag. There are plenty of BIBOA members with RIBs which are not Scorpions, and also quite a few who don't own a RIB at all.

Quote:
Possibly it's not the wisest of things to do if they wish to forward that aim to organise a big event sponsored by Scorp that only excludes non Scorps. Does that make sense?
But it doesn't only exclude non-Scorpions. As Simonnud referred to, Scorpion used to make 6.5m RIBs and those would also not qualify.

I think if BIBOA had been approached by a different manufacturer wanting to organise this type of event, they would probably have agreed to work together, just as they have with this Rally. It just happens to be Scorpion that have decided that they want to organise an event. We'd be cutting off our noses to spite our faces if we said no to Scorpion just because a few people cling on to the idea that all BIBOA members have Scorpions! It sounds like a great event so of course BIBOA is happy to be involved!
__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 14:43   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
Which of BIBOA's stated aims does this event go against?
Ok, bad wording. It has been heard said by Biboa members that they don't want to be known as a scorp owners club...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post

Good - I didn't say you were one of the whingers, but there were a couple earlier on in the thread.



It's not so much an unwanted tag as an inaccurate tag. There are plenty of BIBOA members with RIBs which are not Scorpions, and also quite a few who don't own a RIB at all.



But it doesn't only exclude non-Scorpions. As Simonnud referred to, Scorpion used to make 6.5m RIBs and those would also not qualify.

I think if BIBOA had been approached by a different manufacturer wanting to organise this type of event, they would probably have agreed to work together, just as they have with this Rally. It just happens to be Scorpion that have decided that they want to organise an event. We'd be cutting off our noses to spite our faces if we said no to Scorpion just because a few people cling on to the idea that all BIBOA members have Scorpions! It sounds like a great event so of course BIBOA is happy to be involved!
Yes, I agree on all those points. I think you're kind of missing one though-if people (even jokingly) refer to Biboa as the Scorp owners club it doesn't have to be accurate to be an amusing tag-or for it to be a myth.

I do find it hard to believe you're taking what is an amusing and inaccurate tag (and we do all know it's not really true) seriously!

Remember, if it looks like a duck, it might well be a goose...or a dead red herring

(Note-I'd love a Scorp-far better than Ribeye )
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2008, 17:22   #10
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Haven't you reached Australia yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yes, I agree on all those points. I think you're kind of missing one though-if people (even jokingly) refer to Biboa as the Scorp owners club it doesn't have to be accurate to be an amusing tag-or for it to be a myth.

I do find it hard to believe you're taking what is an amusing and inaccurate tag (and we do all know it's not really true) seriously!

Remember, if it looks like a duck, it might well be a goose...or a dead red herring
There was nothing that I could see in your earlier posts which made it look like you were joking.

I do get quite passionate when people have a go at BIBOA (or just make a 'joke' about it being the Scorpion owners' club) because I know how hard people work for the club, to promote it and encourage new members, and it only takes an offhand comment such as you made to undo all those efforts. Unfortunately, some people take these 'joke' comments seriously and are put off finding out more about the club, which IMHO is a shame because joining BIBOA has greatly enhanced our enjoyment of Ribbing and through the club we have made many good friends.

Quote:
(Note-I'd love a Scorp-far better than Ribeye )
And I knew you wouldn't be able to resist having a go at timw - you just have to keep jumping on that boring bandwagon, don't you?
__________________

__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.