Old 20 November 2001, 13:48   #1

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
BIBOA 2002 RIB Cruising.

Excuse the plug, but I thought I'd post the blurb wot I wrote on BIBOA's 2002 crusing plans for the recent AGM!

2001 was not a bad year for cruising but 2002 will be even better!

It’s our intention to combine traditional BIBOA “old favourite” cruises with visits to new cruising grounds to hopefully provide something for all.

The old favourites will include the season opener in the Solent over Easter (which is early next year by the way), East Coast Rivers in May a trip to the Channel Islands, and the end of season Weymouth cruise.

In addition two of events that proved popular in 2001 will definitely be reprised for 2002. They are the South West cruise pencilled in for June and the Thames cruise planned for July.

The big cruising event for 2002 is a return to Scotland in May/June. Plans are being drawn to accommodate both a Round Scotland raid using the new millennium canal link and a more leisurely weeks cruising on the West Coast. This truly is some of the best ribbing territory in the British Isles and is definitely worth the journey North for. Keep an eye on RIBLINES for further details soon!

International cruising will certainly feature with John-Pierre Waroux already having organised a weeks cruising in Holland for the end of May. You can be sure that other events abroad will attract BIBOA members to new horizons as well.

Thoughts for new cruising grounds include South Wales and Ireland. And the determination is there to go to some places that we were thwarted by the weather this year such as the Isle of Man.

Again we are going to make the effort to accommodate all sizes of RIBS and experience levels of Ribsters. We’ve proved that small and large can cruise in company effectively with good organisation (and a little help with the weather!)

As ever we are interested in understanding what YOU want to do. If you have an idea for a cruise or a place you are desperate to visit then let either myself or anyone on the committee know. Likewise if you fancy running an event yourself, maybe to share your knowledge of a local area with others then get in touch – organising a cruise does not have to be complicated and there is a wealth of support available from your committee and other members!

If anyone has suggestions, queries or simply wants to talk RIB cruising then please contact me via email or phone. Details below.

So here’s to a fun packed 2002. We might even be lucky with the weather!

Alan Winnett, Cruising Coordinator.
cruising@biboa.co.uk Tel 07796 69512
Old 20 November 2001, 16:38   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi Alan

Any thoughts on my SBS (small boat section) exploration of the Scottish Highlands for Summer 2002?

Regards

Keith Hart
Old 21 November 2001, 08:30   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Keith.........

Absolutely! If you pull together and outline plan we'll get it published in the next RIBLINES and added to the calendar. I'll email you seperately or give me a bell to discuss.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 28 November 2001, 18:54   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Programme sounds good-always nice to cruise in company - just in case! What do we do as regards joining biboa.
Cheers, Dave
Old 28 November 2001, 20:14   #5

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Dave

Just point your browser to:

www.biboa.co.uk

I'm sounding out the following with them:

Day 1: Meet on the East Coast, somewhere near Balintore. Get settled in accommodation and meet in the evening to introduce each other and to brief on the forthcomming events.
Day 2: Nice easy start in the Cromarty Firth, launching from Invergordon public slipway. Trip around the rigs in the Firth, into Cromarty harbour and lunch in Cromarty. In the afternoon seal and dolphin spotting. Cromarty Firth is sheltered and quite safe so it is a good place to 'get into gear'.
Day 3: Kylesku. Drive across to the West Coast (70 miles). Spectacular scenery and exploring lochs Glendhu, Glencoul and Loch a Chairn Bhain. If the weather is good we could go out into Edrachillis bay. There are large numbers of seals and even the occasional Minke whale. There is a Hotel right by the slipway for lunch.
Day 4: Morray Firth looking for the Bottle Nose Dolphins.
Day 5: Over to the West Coast again and a trip from Dorney out to Tanera More (Summer Isles) about 1.5 miles off shore.
Day 6: Loch Ness - monster spotting
Day 7: Checking kit, packing up, disperse.

This is designed for smaller ribs and inflatables. I'm waiting to see if anyone is interested. The date is yet to be set according to the BIBOA cruising callendar and their approval.

Cheers

Keith Hart
Old 28 November 2001, 22:08   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Actually if you point your browser to www.biboa.org.uk (it's along story!) you'll find details about how to join and an application form.

John