Old 05 January 2005, 18:59   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Beware of Theft

Someone had a go at nicking my trailer from the Marina while the boat was overnighting in the water. Did not get very far because of a heavy duty wheel clamp and a locked whatever it is called at the end which connects to the car. BUT - moved it about 15 yards and rammed the wheel clamp up under the mud guard. No damage done.

But.... they stole my winch handle. I did not realise:

a) it was so easily (if at all) detachable
b) it was worth nicking

We learn by our mistakes.

Now I have to pay for the Marina to lift my boat out becasue I am away from Lymington for a few weeks.....
Old 05 January 2005, 19:08   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Bruce - sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad it wasn't worse!

But why do you have to pay to have it lifted out? Surely the marina keeps a spare winch handle (they seem to be standard across several types of trailer, AFAIK)? Or could borrow one? Or even buy a replacement for you? How secure is the trailer storage area? If they reckon it's secure then the least they could do is buy you a replacement winch handle surely?

Anyway, hope it's resolved soon and without too much (if any!) additional expense! Looking forward to meeting up again in 2005!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2005, 19:50   #3

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Thanks for the warning Bruce and so sorry to hear about this unsettling occurrence.

Us
Old 05 January 2005, 22:06   #4

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
"But why do you have to pay to have it lifted out? Surely the marina keeps a spare winch handle (they seem to be standard across several types of trailer, AFAIK)? Or could borrow one? Or even buy a replacement for you? How secure is the trailer storage area? If they reckon it's secure then the least they could do is buy you a replacement winch handle surely? "

Berthon policy is that boats and trailers are parked on hardstanding at owner's risk. They do not have any provision to take my trailer to the slip and collect the boat - despite having a full set of keys deposited with the Dockmaster - even if I could get them a handle.

On Monday, I anyway searched the half dozen trailers at Berthon, but none had the correct handle.

I left Farfetched in the water on Monday - I was about to recover her and had already put the trailer in the water when my son noticed we had no handle.

I rang Berthon Offices Tuesday morning (only the dockmaster was in on Monday) to ask for help and all they could offer was a lift onto the trailer which came out at about £100+Vat.

Given I am in Aylesbury and they are in Lymington, I had the choice of leaving her in water until I managed to get down and recover her - they thought one of the dockmasters would be able to help me with the recovery - but it might be two more weeks or so before I could get down there. As I am paying berthing plus parking on a nightly basis, which is much more than harsdstanding boat on trailer as I had budgeted, it turns out that leaving her in the water for an additional two weeks costs about the same as paying for a lift, and it would mean she might pick up some marine gunge....

I do not think the trailer area is particularly secure. No one seems particularly concerned that my trailer was tampered with.

Admiral posted me a new handle following a call first thing on Tuesday which arrived at my office today - Weds. Could not have been more helpful.

But I was left with no choice but to pay for the lift - and my insurance won't cough up. Great start to 2005.
Old 05 January 2005, 22:11   #5

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
It's so annoying when this kind of thing happens! Sympathies!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2005, 07:19   #6

Town: Fareham
You Probably could have bought a completely new winch for less than the £100 they wanted for the lift.

Sorry to hear about the attempted theft, could have been worse! These things are always more personal for the peoples who's property gets tampered with. You never seem to get the sympathy from authorities that you think you should get.

Andy
Old 06 January 2005, 08:19   #7

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Sorry to hear your misfortune

If it is detachable (handle), then the reason they nicked the handle is becuase they are not cheap, mine was 20 quid. AND quess what people are always nicking them because..........wait for it............they forget to take them off when used...........thats what i did,
Old 10 January 2005, 20:27   #8

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Sorry to hear that bruce,

Apparently some scum bag nicked my trailer before I could even pick it up!

Tim
Old 11 January 2005, 21:25   #9

Bad news Tim.

Hope it's sorted out soon?

Us
Old 11 January 2005, 21:34   #10

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
Sorry to hear your misfortune

If it is detachable (handle), then the reason they nicked the handle is becuase they are not cheap, mine was 20 quid. AND quess what people are always nicking them because..........wait for it............they forget to take them off when used...........thats what i did,
We're on winch handle no. 3...
Old 11 January 2005, 22:27   #11

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I always keep a list of Jobs / Modifications to do to the boat.

Just added another.......

Weld winch handle to shaft.

I've already made up a lockable carrier for the spare wheel, and always use the wheel lock when the trailer is left at the slipway, plus use the lock on the hitch to lock it to the car if I can park them together.

Its sad we need to do these things, I've worked hard to afford my RIB, trailer, etc, neither of them are pretty, or new or anything but the're mine, and God help anybody I catch removing them.

New Thread

What knots do people recommend for the ankles and wrists during a Keel-Haul at 40 Knots.

Nasher
Old 11 January 2005, 22:46   #12

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: eyore
Length: no boat
Engine: donkie engine
nasher me ole chum, try the 'around the bolix' knott!
Old 11 January 2005, 23:04   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Some idiot nicked the spring off my winch hook a while ago. Nobody sells spares so I had to buy a new strap. Made single handed recovery flippin' difficult.

Wasn't as bad as when my rear car tyres and trailer tyres were slashed at Baiter slip in Poole though . Thank god they didn't manage to knick or damage anything else.

I can't imagine how I’d feel if someone got their hands on my RIB.

Feckers....
Old 12 January 2005, 06:44   #14

A few bad types can muck it up for lots of peeps alright. The 'Nasher solution' is understandable!

Sorry to read that too Daniel.

missus
Old 12 January 2005, 07:29   #15

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
Some idiot nicked the spring off my winch hook a while ago. Nobody sells spares so I had to buy a new strap. Made single handed recovery flippin' difficult.
Suspect this may have been because the scum bag couldn't buy just the spare part himself, so rather than buy a new strap he nicked yours, suppose its like the car hub cap thing, you just cant buy one hubcap can you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
Wasn't as bad as when my rear car tyres and trailer tyres were slashed at Baiter slip in Poole though . Thank god they didn't manage to knick or damage anything else.
Dan have you been pissing off jet skiiers again, simular thing happened recently at Herne Bay, fisherman pissed off a bunch of jet skiiers and then went off out to sea fishing for the day, 5 minutes after leaving the harbour the boys set to work remodelling his 4x4 with tyre irons, someone called the filth and they managed to nab the scallies in the act, though suppose this didn't help the fishermen coming back to find 4k's worth of free re style on his motor
Old 12 January 2005, 08:18   #16

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
[

Dan have you been pissing off jet skiiers again, simular thing happened recently at Herne Bay, fisherman pissed off a bunch of jet skiiers and then went off out to sea fishing for the day, 5 minutes after leaving the harbour the boys set to work remodelling his 4x4 with tyre irons, [/QUOTE]

Jeez..... and Mike Albury told me it was a nice place
Old 12 January 2005, 17:30   #17
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I'm pretty sure it was bored teens. It was a horrible day, raining and blowing a F7, there wasn't another car in the car park so no one was around to disturb them - only went out for a few hours to play in the waves.