Old 11 January 2009, 07:39   #1

Town: CROYDON
Boat name: LADY P
Make: GEMINI
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 4 STROKE YAMAHA
Beware of Regulation

I am British and hold RYA 1 and 2 powerboat and live in Cape Town SA.SAMSA the governining body here does not recognise the RYA qualification and it is now compulsory to pass their exam for all powered craft for inland and coastal in addition you trailer has to be licensed annually you have to have annual buoyancy check and a seperate safety annual certificate for your craft.I have 3 small craft and it is no longer viable to operate them.These are now checked at launch sites and i have to carry ID to verify that the skipper ticket is mine.In addition i have to have a fishing permit for the sea and anybody fishing on the boat.I could not understand why the RYA has been against compulsory qualifications but when you see red tape in action ,they are correct and have resisted self interest.Last weekend i was unable to launch all my paper work was not in order i parked on a red line as i went to cool down in every sense came back to car R500 fine for car R500 trailer on red line and R800 for trailer tax out of date.It,s 30 degrees today and i am grounded.

« Insurance. | Top | Musto »